Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT California Special
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,
I am pulling the trigger on the Ford Performance Touring Axle back purchase. I am curious if there are others that have a 2018+ with the Touring Axle Back plus an X-pipe and if they are pleased with the result? There seem to be zero videos with this setup.

The reasons why I am going this direction is:
1) Exhaust Tips - I prefer the dual walled chrome on the FP versus the Borla
2) I leave really early in the morning, have a HOA and, I know that my neighbors would not be pleased with the FP Sport with an X pipe waking them up at 5:00am
3) I already have the Ford X-Pipe installed and I am pretty sure that would be a problem with neighbors
4) Ford product

Do any of you all have a video with this setup? The only videos I have seen are for the '15-'17 Mustangs.

Thanks in advance for your support!
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Splitting hairs but FP does not equal Ford. FP is aftermarket/third party not oem like Ford.

That aside, the tone you get will be much better as an x pipe into oem mufflers takes on a tinny/hollow sound. Don't think the x alone lasted more than a month on my car before going full exhaust.

Your cold starts and overall volume should not be much louder than you have now but the tone will definitely be much better.

Dory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Now I’m retroactively embarrassed. A few years back when I got the Ford performance power pack 2 I was slightly confused the dealer part shop was unable to order it when I talked to them and had to order it myself. I thought it was their product.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Ford Performance Touring - resonator = Ford Performance Sport. Might be some small difference but volume wise that is where I thought they fell.

OP
OP
bassbaritoneca

bassbaritoneca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Ford Performance Touring - resonator = Ford Performance Sport. Might be some small difference but volume wise that is where I thought they fell.
Hence, my question! There are a lot of 15-17 videos and the Ford Performance Touring setup with the X and H pipe that sound great and seem like just the right volume over stock. But, I don't know if the touring for the 18+ quad exhaust is the same or different. I believe the Borla Touring - resonator = Borla Sport but, not the Ford Performance version. There essentially zero videos of the 18+ quad Ford Performance Touring exhaust.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If that was the case, I don't think Ford Performance would sell separate Sport and Touring axle backs. The mufflers must be different.

sam94c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I’m trying to decide between the touring and sport axle backs with an x pipe. Currently have the roush catback and it’s too loud. I like the tone at idle and there’s not much drone, but it’s gotta go. Any insight is appreciated.

OP
OP
bassbaritoneca

bassbaritoneca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just received my axle backs. They are definitely an excellent quality product and look awesome. I will let you know once I have them installed probably next weekend and will load a video.
1675349125622.png
1675349155068.png

OP
OP
bassbaritoneca

bassbaritoneca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it's been a little while since I posted! I had the touring axle backs from Ford Performance installed. It was actually a pain in the posterior because the first set of mufflers that were sent to me were poorly made. The chrome tips with the ford logo were not aligned properly. I ended up taking a number of pics and sent them to Ford and Levittown. They directed the issue over to Borla and the VP at Borla noted the issue and had a new set of axle backs delivered to me within a week. Awesome service by Borla!!
The sound is awesome outside the car with a slight overall bump in volume and significant increase in bass in the lower RPMs. There is a nice idle after the cold start and the cold start is not outrageously loud. The overall tone is far superior to my stock exhaust with the Ford X Pipe. The sound in the interior is less in overall volume but, is also clearly a superior quality sound with a significant jump in bass in the lower RPMs as noticed in the exterior. This is a great setup if you want higher quality exhaust that is just not much louder than stock but, with a superior overall tonal quality and larger exhaust tips at 4". Mine are nicely finished in chrome with Ford logos.

20230220_073344.jpg

20230225_131858 (1).jpg

gtAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6-Speed PP1
Looks great! I currently have the full Borla Touring catback (w/ Resonator) on my 2019 and was curious what my mufflers would sound like with a plain X-Pipe. Do you happen to have any sound clips or videos of your setup?

Sponsored
OP
OP
bassbaritoneca

bassbaritoneca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Looks great! I currently have the full Borla Touring catback (w/ Resonator) on my 2019 and was curious what my mufflers would sound like with a plain X-Pipe. Do you happen to have any sound clips or videos of your setup?
Here is a sound clip of the first setup of the mufflers with the bad tips. They were replaced but, the sound is exactly the same.

Saleen90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Interesting! I did a h pipe with Borla Sport axlebacks by FP. My start up is definitely louder but on revs mine sounds almost exactly the same. I might need to switch over to the touring cause I know my neighbors get pissed on cold starts and if it keeps to the same volume on revs I will be really happy!

OP
OP
bassbaritoneca

bassbaritoneca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting! I did a h pipe with Borla Sport axlebacks by FP. My start up is definitely louder but on revs mine sounds almost exactly the same. I might need to switch over to the touring cause I know my neighbors get pissed on cold starts and if it keeps to the same volume on revs I will be really happy!
I believe the H pipe is slightly louder than the X pipe based on my research. However, I haven't heard one in person so, it would be difficult to know for sure. I know that there are a couple of CJ Pony Parts videos where Bill made comments on the difference in volume with the H pipe.

Saleen90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Ya, I thought hpipes just give a deeper tone than the x pipe but I am still very shocked out how loud yours gets on revs with your current setup

OP
OP
bassbaritoneca

bassbaritoneca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, I thought hpipes just give a deeper tone than the x pipe but I am still very shocked out how loud yours gets on revs with your current setup

Comparison to stock with x pipe
Sponsored