Sponsored

2018 fake air intakes?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Has anyone else noticed that the front air intake inserts that are integrated in the front bumper of the 18s are fake? I remember seeing that they would be functional when the 18 redesign was first shown last year, but apparently Ford decided to install fake honeycomb inserts instead. I find that extremely disappointing, and it reminds me of the SN95 days, with all the fake hood scoops and side scoops that Ford used on that body style. Ford seemed to have turned a page on the S550 body style by using real and functional intakes/scoops, but it seems something has changed. I'm curious as to why Ford decided to install fake honeycomb inserts in the intakes, rather than the functional honeycomb inserts that were shown last year. Seeing as how I just ordered my 18 GT, I'm hoping an aftermarket company such as Roush or Steeda makes functional inserts to replace the fake OE ones.

Thoughts?
OP is misinformed?.

What, why, when you need aero efficiency or flow is what matters. Even the type of wheels influences the airflow (efficiencies/properties) of the car. There are no "fake" ones (in the MY2018).

You seem to be more looking at cosmetics/aesthetics, than function or reasons/metrics. I do agree, that if you go with after-market, it is best going with one's that were engineered and designed for purposeful air flow & function, that companies like Roush do.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It’s not fake. In the 2018, the inlet and outlet are there. They block it for the PP1.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
It’s not fake. In the 2018, the inlet and outlet are there. They block it for the PP1.
People getting hung up on semantics here. I think it's fair to say that functional inlets that are blocked, are fake inlets. As others have postulated, it is likely that the "air curtain" concept simply didn't work with wider tires and they got better results with the inlets blocked on the PP. Sometimes good ideas don't pan out. Stuff like that happens, even on airplanes (resulting in things like the FA-18 LEX vents).

That being said, I am definitely in the "hate fake vents" camp. The proper solution would be to redesign the front fascia for PP cars.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
One thing I'm learning recently is to definitely not screw with aero on cars unless you really know what you're doing. I was considering an APR Drag wing and additional front splitters for my 350 and I'm thinking that might not be a good idea anymore. I've been doing a lot of homework and the way the aero is set up on these cars and functional vs not functional vents are pretty thoroughly thought through. If anything I'm going to consider the ZL1 Addon rear wicker bill because the way airflow goes off of the GT350, the wicker bill might actually help more than the wing to create downforce and reduce drag at the same time while the Drag Wing will create downforce but increase drag, albeit not much. It's also significantly more expensive.

For instance, the "fangs" in the upper front grill of the GT350 are made to create a high pressure zone to make a contour at high speed to help direct and create smooth air flow around the nose of the car rather than being a big parachute. It wasn't just a styling que.

It's more than just is this vent open or closed or why is it half covered or not, it's about what's happening to that air when it interacts with the car both when the air hits the car and air that doesn't hit the car too. Trust that the engineers knew what they were doing and if you are going to modify aero, ask questions to the designer/manufacturer.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/wings-spoilers-youre-probably-doing-it-wrong-1665312667

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
People getting hung up on semantics here. I think it's fair to say that functional inlets that are blocked, are fake inlets. As others have postulated, it is likely that the "air curtain" concept simply didn't work with wider tires and they got better results with the inlets blocked on the PP. Sometimes good ideas don't pan out. Stuff like that happens, even on airplanes (resulting in things like the FA-18 LEX vents).

That being said, I am definitely in the "hate fake vents" camp. The proper solution would be to redesign the front fascia for PP cars.
Fake is when someone 3M tapes a hood scoop to a Honda Civic. The vent is there and goes all the way through. They are open on the non PP1 cars. Redesigning the front for the PP1 would have likely resulted in more cost for the package. Aerodynamic design development and extra option parts tend to get expensive.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Fake is when someone 3M tapes a hood scoop to a Honda Civic. The vent is there and goes all the way through. They are open on the non PP1 cars. Redesigning the front for the PP1 would have likely resulted in more cost for the package. Aerodynamic design development and extra option parts tend to get expensive.
No, fake vents are things that look like vents but do not allow air passage. They may look better, but are just as fake if the manufacture does them. On the non PP cars they are not fake. On the PP cars they are fake. Interesting you chose the Honda Civic, because it has plenty of fake vents all put there by Honda.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No, fake vents are things that look like vents but do not allow air passage. They may look better, but are just as fake if the manufacture does them. On the non PP cars they are not fake. On the PP cars they are fake. Interesting you chose the Honda Civic, because it has plenty of fake vents all put there by Honda.

I have to agree. My fake vent issue is that I want to buy a Corvette as my weekend fun car. I always buy new and aim for the bottom of the next highest rung up the sports car chain. What this means is that I get a Vette with plugged up scoops behind the doors. This time the cut out and the grill are real, they just put some matt hard plastic behind it to plug it up. That is still a fake vent. Other things that make me cring on my next car are the base brakes that look too small for the wheels that come with the base car. Base drivers get no respect. :lol:

But Koodos to Ford for putting fake vents on the PP versions for extra cost. It would have been better if they did plumb it to the brakes instead. :ford:

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
My guess is they are blocked off because the PP has the under ducts and air deflectors on the control arms to help cool the front brakes and when not blocked up those don't work as well.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have to agree. My fake vent issue is that I want to buy a Corvette as my weekend fun car. I always buy new and aim for the bottom of the next highest rung up the sports car chain. What this means is that I get a Vette with plugged up scoops behind the doors. This time the cut out and the grill are real, they just put some matt hard plastic behind it to plug it up. That is still a fake vent. Other things that make me cring on my next car are the base brakes that look too small for the wheels that come with the base car. Base drivers get no respect. :lol:

But Koodos to Ford for putting fake vents on the PP versions for extra cost. It would have been better if they did plumb it to the brakes instead. :ford:

You are clueless to what aero is.

If you can not comprehend what "vents" do, or why you are calling them fake. They are functional.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You are clueless to what aero is.

If you can not comprehend what "vents" do, or why you are calling them fake. They are functional.
They look like scoops or vents but don’t scoop or vent anything. Plugging them may serve an aero function but that does not change the fact that they look like scoops or vents but don’t scoop or vent anything.

Therefore they are fake.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
They look like scoops or vents but don’t scoop or vent anything. Plugging them may serve an aero function but that does not change the fact that they look like scoops or vents but don’t scoop or vent anything.

Therefore they are fake.

No, therefore you are wrong in your assumption. Which is fake...

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
My guess is they are blocked off because the PP has the under ducts and air deflectors on the control arms to help cool the front brakes and when not blocked up those don't work as well.
Yep, Ford does wind tunnel and track testing for a reason.

If they're only blocked on the GT PP cars there's a GOOD reason. Don't go mod or drill holes!

1. See above.
or
2. Blocked provides more downforce.
or
3. Front PP wheels "poke" more and the wind curtain effect doesn't work properly.

OR SOME combination of the above
Sponsored