Sponsored

Fake Engine Noise on Bullitt or all 2018 and 2019 V8s?

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
So Car and Driver has a Bullitt article out that states "The Bullitt does away with the sound tube fitted to the 5.0 liter in Mustang GT models, which pipes intake noise into the cabin. It relies instead on a recalibrated active exhaust as well as the natural harmonies that are now more audible through the open-element filter. And, Ford admits, some sound is filled in from the car’s speakers." They seem to imply the open air cleaner element combined with the special exhaust didn't sound that great, so they had to resort to some artificial enhancement...maybe they sampled some sounds from the Bullitt movie and are attempting to approximate that classic sound. Either way, I hope they only did that to the Bullitt V8. I'd hate to find out my 2018 GT cabin sounds are no more authentic than a BMW M car's...I might as well go buy an electric with fake vestigial tail pipes, grill, scoops, and an interior sound selector that lets you select from a multitude of simulated engine sounds of yesteryear. "Let's see, what do I want to pretend to drive today? Do I want the Civic Si with coffee can muffler, or the air cooled Porsche Turbo?"
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
You have the sound tube unless you did the sound tube delete. I'm not aware of speaker based enhancement on the GT.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
The GT350 has sound enhancement from the speakers but I wasn't aware of the GT having it. It's possible I guess but it doesn't bother me.

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
You have the sound tube unless you did the sound tube delete. I'm not aware of speaker based enhancement on the GT.
If the Bullitt has no sound tube that's the best news yet! It's a dumb piece of complicated piping that does nothing to enhance the interior sound of the car. I just removed the tube from my 2018 GT Premium this weekend. The sound from the tube is a poor replication of the sound of the car and, in mine, produced an annoying drone that was driving me nuts. I have the regular exhaust and I can now enjoy the sound of the car without my ears ringing in the cabin. Sound tube delete is one of the first mods many owners do when they get their Mustang. Incidentally, IMO some of the after market sound tube delete kits are a ripoff at $20 plus for 2 plugs and clamp. I did mine for $10.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The GT350 has sound enhancement from the speakers but I wasn't aware of the GT having it. It's possible I guess but it doesn't bother me.
Really?

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
In a world where cars are 4 cylinder or electric, sound enhancement and outright fake sound will be the norm. A few weeks ago I posted my experiment running fake V8 speaker sound through my V6 speakers. Strangely it sounded good! But in one peal out I noticed that after 4500rpm the real engine exhaust note was louder than the speakers and sounded better. And since I like a quiet ride to listen to music this actually works out well for me. But the V6 overall is almost obsolete and was the last Mustang with an authentic exhaust and engine sound.

So get ready for fake sound everywhere. While they are at it, they may as well offer up ”enhancements” for the track apps since nobody gets those 0-60 and quarter mile times you see in the articles. Fake, fake and more fake... Life is good in a semi-virtual world!

EDIT: Hey I did this twice (once in the other thread) and never noticed it? I actually said I preferred the V6 sound over the V8! And I meant it even if it only happened after 4500rpm. The car sounds like an old F1 engine at that rpm. Hell has frozen over!!!!! :devil:

Last edited:

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I thought only the Ecoboost and V6's had the sound via speakers?

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No sound enhancement of any kind for the V6.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It is just an intake sound tube on regular GT. No biggie people.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I don't think the Bullitt has any sound through the speakers. They're the only review that mentions it. And after nearly 1,000 miles on mine, I can tell you that even in normal mode the Bullitt's exhaust is loud enough that if the stereo was playing some sound, I wouldn't even hear it. With my old EcoBoost I could tell pretty easily.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I don't think the Bullitt has any sound through the speakers. They're the only review that mentions it. And after nearly 1,000 miles on mine, I can tell you that even in normal mode the Bullitt's exhaust is loud enough that if the stereo was playing some sound, I wouldn't even hear it. With my old EcoBoost I could tell pretty easily.
Matt does it have a sound tube? Hard to tell from engine bay pics.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Matt does it have a sound tube? Hard to tell from engine bay pics.
No. The GT350 intake tube does not have a port for it.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
AFAIK there's no fake noise coming from the speakers on any of the V8s... I guess it just sounds so good that C&D can't believe it's real! :cwl:

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Didn't they put the GT350's intake manifold on the Bullitt? That would explain the absence of the sound tube; if the GT350 doesn't have a port for it.
Sponsored