2018 Ecoboost caliper upgrade

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
Hey guys, I have a 2018 Ecoboost premium, I need to replace my brake pads and flush the brake fluid. Figured while I'm at it I'd swap out the front calipers and rotors for the GT 4 piston. I found the front setup for $150, I attached some photos, is this all the hardware I'd need? Also what are some good brake pads? I'm keeping the rear calipers and disc's the same. The shop that's installing the calipers, disc's, pads and flusing the fluid is asking $350 for labor, dealer wanted $1,200

Screenshot_20210225-133705_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-133712_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-133718_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-133736_Facebook.jpg
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ridiculous. Absolutely no way

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Oh the money from dealership qoute
Gotta be fucking kidding.
It took me and my friend and me to do the work about 2 hours. Took us a couple attempts to bleed the brakes. Didn’t realize they use a scan device to like electronically put it into bleeder mode

we did it manually.
Couple hundred bucks imo isn’t awful.

but wtf at a grandcost

I reckon they are charging 115 an hour shop fee, so they assume two people hour and half time.

they have to charge with possibility of bolts rusted etc. but it’s easy work really.

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
Oh the money from dealership qoute
Gotta be fucking kidding.
It took me and my friend and me to do the work about 2 hours. Took us a couple attempts to bleed the brakes. Didn’t realize they use a scan device to like electronically put it into bleeder mode

we did it manually.
Couple hundred bucks imo isn’t awful.

but wtf at a grandcost

I reckon they are charging 115 an hour shop fee, so they assume two people hour and half time.

they have to charge with possibility of bolts rusted etc. but it’s easy work really.
Yeah total joke, it was for like 5hrs labor with me providing the Calipers and parts. They said something like $189/hr. Left real quick, I just do warranty work there and everything else myself except the transmission (and brakes I guess, lol).

Ima grab those brakes I showed in the photos, are any parts missing?

Getting the Ford oem rear brake pads for free with my Ford Rewards points, and the front pads the Hawk Performance for the 4 Piston from Amazon.

Also having a tire rotation and Amsoil SS oil change all at the same time along with the brake flush. Any other maintenance good to do while the brakes are off?

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah
You need

gt brake lines
Gt dust shields
Gt brake pads
Gt calipers

make sure you buy those new crush washers/banjo washer or whatever they are called. Don’t buy from dealership

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
Yeah
You need

gt brake lines
Gt dust shields
Gt brake pads
Gt calipers

make sure you buy those new crush washers/banjo washer or whatever they are called. Don’t buy from dealership

assuming the crush washers are a single time use? Where is a good place to buy them?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine aurozone or whatever. Ford wanted like 30 bucks for all of em. I forget, bought them all for 6 or 8 bucks aurozone

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I did front and back, so more washers was needed for me

Sponsored

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
If you’re even remotely handy with wrenching on the car this is. DIY job. I just swapped from the stock GT brakes to the Brembo 6 piston calipers. Literally it’s 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the knuckle. Rotors are floating.

To do it yourself I’d recommend a motive pressure bleeder (opmustang.com), $75, dead blow hammer $10 on Amazon to knock the rotors loose off the hub, brake bleeder bottle ($25). Those 3 tools you can swap and bleed the brakes yourself. A fraction of the price and you have tools to do it yourself the next time you bleed the brakes.

2CB0FE95-FB12-4B81-8DAA-11AFAF7A3298.jpeg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Our bleeder wasn’t working. Idk why, so we did the manual way, lol one of us in car and other one opening and closing each line. Time consuming.

My new scan tool has a bleeder mode, not sure how to use it but would loved to had it back then.

That said I gave my buddy 100 for helping me.

We did all 4 wheels though

Bleeding was honestly most time consuming, had to do it a few times.

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Yep. Our bleeder wasn’t working. Idk why, so we did the manual way, lol one of us in car and other one opening and closing each line. Time consuming.

My new scan tool has a bleeder mode, not sure how to use it but would loved to had it back then.

That said I gave my buddy 100 for helping me.

We did all 4 wheels though

Bleeding was honestly most time consuming, had to do it a few times.
you can also use Forscan to do an abs bleed service.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you can also use Forscan to do an abs bleed service.
Yeah, didn’t know about any of that. What exactly is bleed service? Let’s the abs push fluid or something?

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Yeah, didn’t know about any of that. What exactly is bleed service? Let’s the abs push fluid or something?
Yeah it actuates each abs line one at a time with someone in the car to push any air out of the abs module into the lines going to the calipers. Perform the abs service then bleed with a pressure bleeder like usual. Passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front inner then outer bleeder, driver front same procedure.

I know you probably already know the sequence just posting it up for those that don’t.
Sponsored