Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
2018 Digital Instrument Cluster Installation Guide

Post #2 contains an FAQ and supplement for 2018+ owners. Please view this before asking any questions!

This guide explains how to successfully swap a 2018 digital instrument cluster into your 2015-2018 Mustang. The steps are slightly different for a 2018 and are not pictured at this time. This works on any 2015-2018. Base Sync, Sync 2 (MFT), and Sync 3. Without Sync 3 you lose the Nav feature and maybe some other basic features.

If you'd like to skip all the parts collecting and programming send me a PM. I sell fully ready to go plug n' play kits for all 15-18 cars. I also sell pre-built files tailored to your car that you can upload right to your cluster. Visit my website www.breeves002.net for more info!

View this thread to find much of the information in this guide and more here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74133

Thanks to db252 and p6cl for their pioneering work in this swap. Much of the information posted here was presented by them originally. zackmd1, DanMc85 and others have also had a hand in helping figure different things out. Unless noted the pictures in here were taken either by DB252 or myself.

DISCLAIMERS: Do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage you do to your car. The process is fairly low risk but remember to take your time and be cautious when modifying as built data in FORScan. To comply with federal and/or state laws you must have your new odometer match your old one when you get a new instrument cluster. Some states require a shop to verify the odometer was not changed. (Though it shouldn’t ever be a problem). Lastly, be careful when working with airbags. An unintentional deployment is unlikely but take precautions to be safe.

KNOWN ISSUES:
1. New cluster software seems to have removed the oil temperature gauge. Most likely new cluster orders will not have it. They will have 1 page of custom gauges then the text line gauges.
2. 2015 owners and some 2018+ owners will not have a working differential fluid temp gauge. This is because the 2015 model year does not have a differential temp sensor. Only some 2018's come with a dif temp sensor too. You can code this out so its not an option.
3. There may be more issues we haven't found. As of now there have been 200+ successful swaps and no one seems to have any problems. Let this be your warning that you could be the first to find a new problem!

Before starting this mod or ordering any parts, make sure you or someone you know has an OBD2 adapter that works on both the HS-CAN and secondary can busses (HS-CAN2, HS-CAN3, MS-CAN). The recommended adapter is the OBDLink MX. It can be found on Amazon for around $79.99. https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426...TF8&qid=1520994099&sr=1-1&keywords=obdlink+mx

I also recommend the OBDLink EX which is a cheaper, good alternative. It is also on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-EX-F...d=1&keywords=obdlink+ex&qid=1603306536&sr=8-2

Coupon code "FORSCAN" used to take $15 off the price of the EX. May not work when reading this.

The second option is a chinese clone with switch. Can be found here. They also have wifi variants if you search around.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N18TOFB/ref=psdc_15707381_t2_B06XJL31Z7

Download FORScan from www.forscan.org and sign up on the forums and then generate an extended license: http://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php

Note: There is a chance the cluster may have a newer software then FORScan supports. This seems to be an issue of the past but if that happens you'll get an error. PM me or email FORScan support if you have an issue. This seems to be a non issue now.

More information on how to use FORScan here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61773

PM with questions or post below. If you are local to me I am happy to help!

Required tools:
-T20 Torx Screwdriver
-T25 Torx Screwdriver
-7mm socket
-8mm socket
-10mm socket
-24mm socket
-Interior trim removal tools (helpful but not necessary)
-Windows PC with OBD2 adapter that can access all busses

Step 1: Acquire parts

This can take time. Parts can be backordered for a month or more. I ordered all parts through my local Ford dealer except for the instrument cluster. I ordered that from Tasca. When you order give them the VIN of YOUR car and your current mileage. You may want to give them your expected mileage in a week so you can match it. The cluster comes with whatever milage you tell them. They may ask why you are replacing the cluster. Just say you are upgrading your current cluster to the Digital one. That is an acceptable response. If you can find the parts from a wrecked car they will be much less expensive. Do not send your old instrument cluster back as a core. They will not accept it.

Where can I order these parts?
- Your local Ford dealer. Some will price match online stores some will not. You have to pay sales tax but you do not have to pay shipping this way and things usually come a few days faster.
- New Online. I recommend calling Mike R at Autonation Ford White Bear Lake.
- Junkyards - Going to be hard to find but much less expensive then new.

Parts to order:
• Instrument Cluster
• SCCM Housing (not required for 2018+ owners)
• 3 steering wheel switches
• Cluster bezel

Part numbers:
Digital Instrument Cluster
Automatic MPH: JR3Z-10849-JB
Manual MPH: JR3Z-10849-LB
Automatic KPH: JR3Z-10849-KB
Manual KPH: JR3Z-10849-MB
Bullitt MPH Manual:
KR3Z-10849-NK
Note: The part you get may have a different number then what you ordered.

Call Autonation Ford White Bear Lake and ask for Mike R. Tell them what cluster you want and they'll get you the latest part number. Alternatively send me a PM and I can get them for you too.

Switch Assembly Left Hand Upper (2015-2017 only)

JR3Z-9C888-AA

Switch Assembly Right Hand Lower

JR3Z-9C888-EA

Switch Assembly Right Hand Upper

JR3Z-9C888-CA

Switch Assembly Left Hand Lower - FOR ADAPTIVE CRUISE 2015-2017 ONLY!!! Non-adaptive cruse need not replace the cruise control switch pack
JR3Z-9C888-FA

Instrument Panel (Bezel)

LHD: JR3Z-63044D70-BA
RHD: JR3Z-63044D70-AA

Steering Column Housing Assembly (SCCM/Clockspring, 15-17 only)
JR3Z-3F791-JA – Variable wipers (most people order this one)
JR3Z-3F791-HA – Variable wipers and heated steering wheel (order if you want to add heated wheel)
JR3Z-3F791-AA – Auto Wipers
JR3Z-3F791-LA – Auto wipers/heated wheel/lane departure
JR3Z-3F791-KA – Auto wipers and lane departure
JR3Z-3F791-DA – Auto wipers/heated wheel/lane departure

There may be newer part numbers for the SCCMs too but Ford will generally supplement the newer ones when necessary.

ORDER the -HA or -LA (auto wipers) SCCM Housing Assembly if you think you will ever want to add a heated wheel.
To add a heated wheel you also need a FCIM out of a 401A 2018+ car and HSWM with all the proper pigtails.

ALL SCCM's work with cars without auto wipers. Some will just have unused pins for the HSW and will have the "A" for auto wipers. Does not effect wiper operation.

The instrument cluster will work with your old switches/sccm but you will not be able to access any of the menu’s to set custom gauges. You’ll only have trip/fuel economy/tire pressure.

Once you have the parts in your hands the fun part begins!

Cluster:

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_1775-1.jpg

^I had to remove the bezel of the cluster to clean the display off. There were some large particles clinging onto it. Be very careful not to damage the display! I suspected it was actually a square display and this confirmed that.

Bezel:
IMG_0536.jpg

Step 2: Install Parts

According to the Ford service manual it is not required to remove the battery ground to do these installation steps. If you feel more comfortable please feel free to remove the battery ground.

Remove your steering wheel first and replace the switches. This makes it easier to access through to the cluster. 2018 owners DO NOT NEED to remove the wheel entirely. You only need to replace your switches. There’s a great youtube tutorial by CJPonyParts on removing the wheel and replacing switches. That is found here: [ame]

For those of you that don’t wish to watch it here are the basic steering wheel removal steps:
- Remove the airbag with a small flathead screwdriver. On each side of the wheel there is a small hole. Press the screwdriver in until you feel the spring mechanism. Press it in and pull that side of the airbag out at the same time. Repeat with the other side. Unplug the 3 electrical connectors and place the airbag aside.
- Unplug steering wheel to clockspring electrical connector
- Remove the steering wheel with a 24mm socket. (2018 owners may skip full wheel removal)
- Replace steering wheel switches with new ones.

IMG_1581.jpg

Remove the steering column trim:
- Top trim lifts off. Just pull up.
- Lower trim has a 7mm screw and T20 screw. Remove and pull down hard. Not required to remove lower trim for 2018's.

Remove SCCM/clockspring housing:(skip if a 2018)
- Remove two electrical connectors
- Remove two torx screws at the top towards the instrument panel
- Pull on the tab underneath the housing assembly and slide the entire assembly off of the steering column
- Replacement is reverse of removal. Be sure to put the clockspring locking tab in your old clockspring to keep it from getting turned to the incorrect place.

IMG_1583.jpg

Remove instrument panel trim pieces:

The first half of this video shows cluster removal: [ame]

Text Instructions:
-Start by pulling both bottom corner dash trim pieces off. Carefully pry with your hands towards the bottom and pull these straight out. On the passenger side opening the glovebox makes this easier. It is important to pull straight out so you don't break these. Interior trim removal tools are very helpful for the drivers side.
-Remove the large trim piece that covers the 3 center vents or 2 center vents and gauge pod (for pp cars). Carefully pry with your hands starting at the right side. The clips will pop out. Make sure to work you hand towards the middle to avoid snapping it. If you have a PP car remove the electrical connector on the center gauges before pulling it completely off. This piece has a lot of clips so it sometimes requires a good pull.
-Remove headlight switch trim. There are 2 screws on the left side. Remove them and then pull out. Unplug headlight switch electrical connector and remove. If you left the battery connected you can remove the headlight switch from the trim and plug it back in to keep the speakers from dinging at you.
-Remove trim below headlight switch with sunglasses holder. Remove one screw then carefully pry out. Unplug trunk switch electrical connector.
-Remove the trim to the right of the steering column. Just pull out. This has the little slits in it for the HVAC interior temp sensor.
-Remove the bezel with left HVAC vent and upper steering column cover. Remove the 4 screws. Two on left side and two on either side of the steering wheel. Then pull forcefully but carefully. At this point the top of the steering column trim should be popped out. Lower and extend the steering column completely to make it easier to remove.
-After removing everything make sure none of the retaining clips were left behind in the dash. They are yellow or blue. If they were pull them out carefully and replace them on the trim piece they came off of. It is really easy to lose these in the dash and they're like a dollar or two each from the dealer.

I did not remove my steering wheel because I didn’t get the new SCCM for a week after I got the cluster.

IMG_0543.jpg

Remove the instrument cluster:
-Remove the two screws in the bottom corners
-Pull to release the clips
-Unplug electrical connector

Remove plastic backing:
-Remove two screws
-Cut plastic backplate out. Refer to pictures.

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

Add foam padding on dashboard brace to keep the instrument cluster from rattling. I also recommend adding a piece of felt or foam on the other side and top.

IMG_1459.jpg

Install new instrument cluster
-The old clips are not used. Only the two lower screws are used to secure the cluster.
-Don’t forget to plug the electrical connector in

Reinstall the bezel and all dash trim pieces minus steering column trim.

IMG_0554.jpg

Install new SCCM housing/clockspring(except 2018)
-Reinstall both torx screws
-Plug in both electrical connectors.
-Do not remove the clockspring retaining pin until you are ready to install the wheel.

Install lower and upper steering column trim

Install steering wheel with new switches.
Reinstall airbag.
Connect battery if disconnected.

Feel free to start the car and see what it says! First boot can take 10-20 seconds so be patient. You will probably get many errors. I got a 4x4 error. Weird!

Note: If you chose not to disconnect the battery, the engine may not start immediately. The engine will not run without an instrument cluster so it takes a few minutes for the car to register its ok to start. If you disconnected the battery you shouldn't have this problem.

IMG_1558.jpg

Step 3: Configure as-built data with FORScan!

I sell ready to go files tailored perfectly to your car. Please send a PM if interested!

Use this spreadsheet for a reference:

The above spreadsheet has a sample IPC and SCCM ABD you can use as a baseline for your modules.

Note: Some clusters have newer software that FORScan may not support in the latest release. If this is the case PM me for a beta build or email the forscan team for a beta build.

You must select your features and adjust the as built data as necessary. Any lines that do not have a feature set use the supplied as built data at the bottom of the page.

You must also adjust the as built data in the SCCM. You can use your old SCCM as built data except for line 724-03-01. Should be set to 1733 xxxx xx without adaptive cruise or 2933 xxxx xx with adaptive cruise.

To avoid a U2100 code in both the SCCM and IPC I recommend changing ALL ABD and then hitting "write all" at the bottom. If you are testing things, start with the baseline ABD and write all then change things one at a time. If you have the U2100 code and need to get rid of it, save your as built, change some as-built in 4+ lines, write all, then load the saved as built and write all again. Clear codes and read codes. Hopefully its gone! If you have other codes that come back after you clear codes there may be a problem with your as built data.

SUPER IMPORTANT NOTE: SAVE SAVE SAVE your as built data! Save your OEM data, save your unconfigured IPC/SCCM data, and save your configured data. Save it all! If you go to the dealer and some idiot tech flashes the IPC or SCCM because it says theres something wrong you don't want to have to sit down and figure out your abd all over again. Its extremely easy just to load the file and write all. Not worth the risk. The OEM is online but I recommend saving it to be safe. I say save your unconfigured data in case flashing the configured data breaks features in the module - its easy to go back to the way it came to you.

Once your as built data is configured you now should have a fully functional instrument cluster! Congrats! Leave me a thanks if this helped you. Another big shout out to everyone that helped pull this together!

digitalcluster.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FAQ

Q: Will this work on a GT350?
A: Partially. At this time you need to replace your FCIM with a standard premium one to keep drive modes. This means it will only work on GT350's with Sync 3.

Q: How much does this cost?
A: Buying new parts from Ford it is around $1750. It is about $165 less expensive for a 2018 car.

Q: Does anyone sell a pre-programmed kit I can just install and have ready to go?
A: YES! I can piece one together for you - PM me (breeves002) I can pre-program a cluster to your car and send it out to you. I can also send you an as built data file tailored to your car so all you have to do is flash the cluster and you're ready to go!

Q: Will this work on a non-premium (base) car without Sync 3?
A: Yes. You will not have nav in the cluster and may not display song titles in the cluster either.

Q: I own a 2015 with Sync 2 (MFT), will this work on my car?
A: Yes! 2015 Premium owners with Sync 2 (MFT) will be able to successfully do the swap. You will not have nav in cluster or song title displayed.

Q: Can the tachometer be changed to go past 8000 RPM?
A: At this time we haven't found a way to change the tach end point. Only the redline which can be either 6500rpm or 7400rpm.

Q: Will this work if I don't have SYNC 3 or SYNC 3 without navigation?
A: YES this works with any radio setup, however you will not be able to use the built in Navigation feature. There may be other minor features that may not work too such as current song playing, etc.

Q: Does this have track apps, line lock, etc enabled?
A: This is all enabled in as built data. With the sample as built data all of these things are enabled.

Q: If I order the SCCM that supports a heated wheel do I have to add the heated wheel now or can I do it in the future?
A: Yes you can do it in the future. Be sure to get the -HA or -LA SCCM's that support heated wheels with any wheel you want installed. However if you ever want to add a heated wheel in the future you NEED one of these SCCM's. So yes you can get the heated wheel SCCMs and add the heated wheel later. Or you can get them and never add a heated wheel. There will be no difference.

Q: Will this void my warranty?
A: Short answer: No.
Long Answer: The new parts come with a 24 month Ford parts warranty, however Ford will not replace them at the dealer through the normal warranty process. Basically the only warranty voided is the cluster, bezel, sccm, and your wheel switches. Any parts you replaced. This is exactly the same as any other aftermarket parts replacement warranty voiding. If you change your radio out to a tesla style and it goes bad, Ford won't cover the radio, they will however still cover you if your transmission craps out.

2018+ Owners Supplement:

This is just a collection of the notes in the above guide that apply to 2018 owners ONLY.

-You do not need to order the SCCM housing UNLESS you want to add a heated steering wheel. In that case order the -HA SCCM or -LA if you plan to add auto wipers.
-You do not need to order the UPPER LEFT steering wheel switch. You still need the upper and lower right switches.
-Skip the removal of the steering wheel unless you are replacing the SCCM housing or are changing steering wheels.
-Skip the removal of the SCCM housing unless you bought a new one to add a heated steering wheel.
-You don't need to cut the plastic piece out of the dashboard. New cluster should fit fine.
-You only need to edit line 724-03-01 in the SCCM ABD unless you've put a new SCCM in. Change 724-03-01 to 1733 XXXX XX for normal cruise or 2933 XXXX XX for adaptive cruise.

Last edited:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I'm having flashbacks. This project really isn’t that hard but does involve a pretty good investment. I’d say the hardest thing is doing the forscan programming but if you already have experience with that than it’s all fairly easy. I LOVE THIS MOD!

Good job on the write up Sam.

Last edited:

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Would this enable mycolor on the PP gauges? I'm guessing that the nature of the cluster itself allows color changes so I would think it would tie into the PP gauges.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Would this enable mycolor on the PP gauges? I'm guessing that the nature of the cluster itself allows color changes so I would think it would tie into the PP gauges.
Great question. I know my PP gauges color does work with both my old cluster and this cluster. When I put in the GT350 gauges yesterday they do not change color.

You just change the ambient light and it changes the gauge color like the old cluster did.

Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great question. I know my PP gauges color does work with both my old cluster and this cluster. When I put in the GT350 gauges yesterday they do not change color.
I'm guessing we will need somebody thats doing this on a base PP car to find out for sure. Unfortunately I dont have an extra 1500 laying around lol.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm guessing we will need somebody thats doing this on a base PP car to find out for sure. Unfortunately I dont have an extra 1500 laying around lol.
Correct. You may just try figuring out what as built data controls if your car has ambient light or not in your current IPC and then you can enable that. Even though you don't have ambient light it should in theory still change the color of the gauges.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct. You may just try figuring out what as built data controls if your car has ambient light or not in your current IPC and then you can enable that. Even though you don't have ambient light it should in theory still change the color of the gauges.
I know for sure you need a premium cluster because the base clusters dont have the ability to change colors, now if you can enable the menu to change colors and it only affect the PP gauges then that would be kinda cool.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I know for sure you need a premium cluster because the base clusters dont have the ability to change colors, now if you can enable the menu to change colors and it only affect the PP gauges then that would be kinda cool.
Ah I forgot you use "gauge color" in the premium cluster.

I'll sell you my premium cluster cheap lol.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
come install for mine!!

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Nice write up! We need to see if the mods will make this thread a sticky so it does not get buried!

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Nice write up! We need to see if the mods will make this thread a sticky so it does not get buried!
Yes this would make a good sticky! I don’t even know who the mods are lol.

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Great write up...

I have a base GT PP with no ambient lightning.

Will this cluster allow me to change the color PP gauges after I make the swap? Or do we know at this point.
Sponsored