Sponsored

2018 comparison to 2015

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
True it's opinion but the design is 90% is the same as the 15-17 & people act like it's a change from the S197 to the S550.

I was at the NY Auto show and I asked my GF which she liked (the '17 black GT or the '18 yellow) and she was like "the color??" and I was like no the design and I had to show her the differences.

The average and even more then average person IS NOT going to notice a difference in these models from 15-17 to the 18.

That's the point ... the hate for the changes are honestly absurd.
I'm pretty neutral about the '18 (love everything except the front fascia), but the people stating these opinions on THIS board aren't the "average person" that won't notice the differences... they are enthusiasts of vehicles, THIS vehicle specifically.
Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
True it's opinion but the design is 90% is the same as the 15-17 & people act like it's a change from the S197 to the S550.

I was at the NY Auto show and I asked my GF which she liked (the '17 black GT or the '18 yellow) and she was like "the color??" and I was like no the design and I had to show her the differences.

The average and even more then average person IS NOT going to notice a difference in these models from 15-17 to the 18.

That's the point ... the hate for the changes are honestly absurd.
Most women can care less about car design unless they are car enthusiasts too. And yes the design change is very noticeable to real car enthusiasts.

I like the recent design changes from 2005 - 2017

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
IMO they're finally going in the right direction by adding what some consider standard technology into the 2018. I've seen comparable vehicles with many years on the more recent mustang look much better interior wise. The digital cluster should have been in the mustang 5 years ago.

I also think the 3rd and 5th gens are ugly as sin but that's my personal opinion.
I'm the other way around. I had planned on buying a Mustang in 2-3 years, but when I saw what was coming on the '18 (more tech in general, all digital cluster, active exhaust, magnetic suspension, dual injection systems, etc), I decided the time to buy is very soon, while I can still get a '17.
I just want a simple, cheap, but well-put-together car. I don't want all that crap. I have all that crap in my Raptor, should I want to ride around in comfort.

I wish you could still order stripper versions of cars. Alas, you can't. So I plan to make one myself by buying a base performance pack, pull out the rear seats, and replace the fronts with racing buckets. Then just slowly build the car up visually and mechanically to where I want it.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
That's about as accurate as saying if you put Steve Buscemi's head on Mila Kunis' (or insert your favorite celebrity here) body that she is still gorgeous. You can change 10% of the design and easily change the whole aesthetics of the car. The 10% doesn't work for me, at least in the pictures. Still want to see it in person though.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
That's about as accurate as saying if you put Steve Buscemi's head on Mila Kunis' (or insert your favorite celebrity here) body that she is still gorgeous. You can change 10% of the design and easily change the whole aesthetics of the car. The 10% doesn't work for me, at least in the pictures. Still want to see it in person though.
A bit of an extreme example don't ya think?
Even Mila Kunis will benefit from a face lift down the road!:thumbsup:

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
A bit of an extreme example don't ya think?
Even Mila Kunis will benefit from a face lift down the road!:thumbsup:
10% is 10%, no matter how badly you mess up that 10%

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
To change the "whole" of something wouldn't be 10%. It would change most of the aesthetics.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
That's not what I said at all. I was responding to Spartan saying only 10% of the design changed and why is everyone so up in arms about it.

The fact is you can make small changes here and there and still completely change the aesthetics of a design, and that is why those of us who don't like the 18 are so vocal. Tell me how changing a head is changing the whole of something... just like changing the front end isn't changing the whole of something, but it can still go wrong.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I think with anything, it takes a bit more time to get used to it. First impressions are not always the most accurate. I will admit it has grown on me. Still not buying, and a few things still do not work, but it is not as bad as I first thought.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The issue I have with that statement is I don't believe these bare bones sports cars exist in the way that some enthusiasts would like them to. In the very high-end market of supercars you can find the vehicles with bare cabin internals but amazing speed machines.
You shouldn't have to shop as high as a GT350R or Chevy's [late] Z/28 to get a similar level of equipment that's light on amenities and tech-for-the-sake-of-gee-whiz-tech, either.

How many people really care about the texture of the plastic interior bits while they're actually driving the car? For those that perhaps actually do, is a Mustang truly the right car?

Norm

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
You shouldn't have to shop as high as a GT350R or Chevy's [late] Z/28 to get a similar level of equipment that's light on amenities and tech-for-the-sake-of-gee-whiz-tech, either.

How many people really care about the texture of the plastic interior bits while they're actually driving the car? For those that perhaps actually do, is a Mustang truly the right car?

Norm
If you'd go by what people have said over and over and over and over and over and over again on forums...a shit ton of people care.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)

Norm
Well said Norm. Some people are more show than go I guess. For me it's the driving experience that put my ass in the seat and I'm glad the engineers put their work/time/budget more towards the drive and not the creature comforts

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you'd go by what people have said over and over and over and over and over and over again on forums...a shit ton of people care.
While they're actually driving it? I hope not. Seriously. You shouldn't even be subliminally aware of interior quality being "up-level" when you're on the move. Controls and such only need to be easy to find, simple to operate, and laid out in a reasonable arrangement.

I guess I'm supposed to understand that if it's mostly a garage queen/driveway ornament/car show entry for some that we're all supposed to want what fits that mold as well. Not buying it.

Norm

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
While they're actually driving it? I hope not. Seriously. You shouldn't even be subliminally aware of interior quality being "up-level" when you're on the move. Controls and such only need to be easy to find, simple to operate, and laid out in a reasonable arrangement.

I guess I'm supposed to understand that if it's mostly a garage queen/driveway ornament/car show entry for some that we're all supposed to want what fits that mold as well. Not buying it.

Norm
Don't always agree with everything you say, but I agree with this. Comfort I care about, but the materials on surfaces that I don't touch I am not thinking about unless I am detailing the car.
Sponsored