2018 - Auto or manual

Auto or manual

• Total voters

lockwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2019 Bullitt, 2018 BMW M2, 2019 MX5 RFGT
How many are getting the 10 speed auto and how many are going for the manual box?
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Even as a hardcore manual enthusiast, I'd be looking at the 10sp.
Partly because the 10sp keeps the car on song all the time but also because the new ratios in the manual are retarded. First is taller and 4th is now 1:1
In stock form, this car needs shorter gearing, not taller.
Basically, the engine will spend more time out of its comfort zone than it did on the 15-17.
The only real benefit I see to the new manual over the old, is having 2 overdriven gears, which I'm sure will appeal to those seeking ultimate fuel economy (if that's your concern, buy the auto)

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Even as a hardcore manual enthusiast, I'd be looking at the 10sp.
Partly because the 10sp keeps the car on song all the time but also because the new ratios in the manual are retarded. First is taller and 4th is now 1:1
In stock form, this car needs shorter gearing, not taller.
Basically, the engine will spend more time out of its comfort zone than it did on the 15-17.
The only real benefit I see to the new manual over the old, is having 2 overdriven gears, which I'm sure will appeal to those seeking ultimate fuel economy (if that's your concern, buy the auto)
I am a bit sceptical about needing that many gears on a relatively large engine. But after looking at video reviews, new auto looks like the go. It's getting great reviews. My other concern though is reliability. It being a totally new design. Probably $10k+to replace. Gee, (for better or worse?) MY18 Mustang has really become a high tech bit of kit. Engine now has Direct and port injection to go with quad cam VVT and 10 speed auto. 460hp out of 5.0 n/a from factory must be near the limit now.

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
Auto.

S mode will be freaking awesome - it’s pretty good on the 6R80 now :thumbsup:

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 Ruby Red Magneride/Recaro Seats
To me more gears mean that you are in the right gear more often.
I thought that this gear-box isn't totally new - it is out of the F series trucks. And I also thought it was developed with GM as well - isn't it also in the Camaro?
Can anyone clarify if I am right or wrong ?

Sponsored

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
To me more gears mean that you are in the right gear more often.
I thought that this gear-box isn't totally new - it is out of the F series trucks. And I also thought it was developed with GM as well - isn't it also in the Camaro?
Can anyone clarify if I am right or wrong ?
This is an all new tranny. Camaro SS still runs 8speed. The new upcoming Vette ZRI and Camaro ZL1 will be available with the new 10speed.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
i got a 15, but in retrospect i got an auto. I know its not the 10speed, at first i regretted it and wanted a manual. Now, im really happy i got the auto. The 10 speed would be even better. Cant believe im saying this but I would get the auto

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
i got a 15, but in retrospect i got an auto. I know its not the 10speed, at first i regretted it and wanted a manual. Now, im really happy i got the auto. The 10 speed would be even better. Cant believe im saying this but I would get the auto
The current (in AUS) 6sp Auto is actually a half descent thing, being a beefed up version of the older ZF box. It's smooth and relaxed in D and pretty responsive in S mode. The downshift blips in S are cool to. My daily driver has a DSG box in it and does have much quicker/smoother shifts when banging thru the gears. If the new 10speed box is anything like ZFs newer generation 8speed, which I have experienced in various Beemers and a F-type, it should be good fun.

marto.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty/Marto
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT
I don't know if I'd go the auto. The auto performance seems pretty impressive in the '18 but I've always liked driving manual.

In saying that, driving Golf R's and GTI's with the DSG and paddles is a hell of a lot of fun. If the new auto is as smooth and nice to drive I may be persuaded.

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Interesting.
2 to 1 for 10 speed auto over manual.
What was the ratio for 2015/17 ?

Sponsored

marto.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty/Marto
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT
Interesting.
2 to 1 for 10 speed auto over manual.
What was the ratio for 2015/17 ?
Not sure the exact figures but I remember seeing an article posted quite a while back and it was in favour of the manual by a fair way.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I run half-mile competitions and I bought the 10-speed auto for two reasons...
1. The car will always be in the heart of the powerband at WOT.
2. I planned on boosting my car before I ordered it and with the transmission holding the power of a stock ZL1, odds are it'll last longer in my car.

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
This new transmission is a plus in many ways. It will help sell more units.:headbang::ford:
Good point.
The 10 speed probably pushed me into buying the 2018 mustang.
I think it's advantages are significant

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Go the auto
Sponsored