victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' , premium ,10 speed, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's a resonator.
A silencer? Does it do anything if I remove it? There is also another one closer to the throttlebody... What happens if I remove these things ? A little more intake noise ?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, 1994 Jeep Cherokee
A silencer? Does it do anything if I remove it? There is also another one closer to the throttlebody... What happens if I remove these things ? A little more intake noise ?
I literally just googled this very same topic before I came to this site. According to my findings, removing these resonators would increase the harmonics and decrease airflow and horsepower.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I literally just googled this very same topic before I came to this site. According to my findings, removing these resonators would increase the harmonics and decrease airflow and horsepower.
The 2018 inlet has it removed. I have a full 2018 stock intake setup and it fits just fine on the 15-17's.

OP, you can remove it, but just make sure you cap it off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is these baffles slow down the airflow... Because they need to fill up before continuing on down the intake... I may try taking them off, ultimately I have my eye on a GT 350 cold air set up... with the powerpack two is what I have my eye on.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I have never seen anyone ever say that removing a resonator de-creases power. Removing it can't debrease airflow as that is determined by how large the inlet is. It also, unless it's very limiting, doesn't give you any power either. It's normally only in place to keep the intake noises to a minimum. It's also a pretty common first mod on cars.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have never seen anyone ever say that removing a resonator de-creases power. Removing it can't debrease airflow as that is determined by how large the inlet is. It also, unless it's very limiting, doesn't give you any power either. It's normally only in place to keep the intake noises to a minimum. It's also a pretty common first mod on cars.
Yeah I'm not expecting much if it even comes off...

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
From another site post, sums it up nicely:

"
  1. It reduces the resonance frequency through the induction tube reducing a natural rushing roar on road cars.

2. It provides a small reservoir of air to be used at immediate throttle response until above atmospheric pressure is increased in the induction tube reducing the initial delay in the response time.

3. It aids in engine braking when the throttle body closes, without it, the built up pressure would slightly force the butterfly to stay open longer. The resonator allows the laminar flow to reverse and reduce almost immediately by allowing the the flow to escape into a negative pressure chamber and then stored when full throttle is required straight after zero throttle input.

4. Sound reduction via often achieved by introducing carbon filtration and small inlet holes inside the resonator itself.

5. Because of the natural ability to initially respond to the need of increasing and reducing atmospheric pressure. It allows the plenum chamber respond to the cycle of opening and closing rapidly on a four stroke cycle more efficiently reducing back pressure in the combustion chamber."

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like I need a powerPak two like the GT 350 has LOL .... I'm not gonna mess with it I'll probably trigger a check engine light....

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I cut off mine a year and a half ago. No issues, no decreased anything. No cel's.
Btw, a wheel center cap fits perfectly over the hole.just RTV it in.

Also, every aftermarket CAI does away with it.

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wish somebody sold the GT 350 induction alone.... I wonder if that would plug right in and still have the computer be happy. ... I like that GT 350 induction set up. .... I don't think there's anything at all to gain by tampering with the original intake... Probably going to buy a powerPak two if I can't find just the intake from a GT 350.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I took the carbon trap off my stock 2015 inlet to remove restrictions. Not much difference but the inlet is slightly noisier.

CVCashmere

OP
OP
victory-rc

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Carbon trap ? Is that the one near the throttlebody shaped like a ovel ? .... I figured if I touched that one it would trigger a check engine light because it's after the mass air meter...

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Carbon trap ? Is that the one near the throttlebody shaped like a ovel ? .... I figured if I touched that one it would trigger a check engine light because it's after the mass air meter...
It is in the upper box section before tube maf.
Sponsored