Sponsored

2017 GT MT82 whine

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
Bought my 17 GT new. Car has 20k on it. Been boosted for the last 5k. Making 611 wheel. Today the trans just started whining in 1st and 2nd mostly. Not crazy loud but it’s there. Besides that it shifts great. Never locks me out even when revving to 7700 rpm. Still on stock clutch.

I changed the fluid to BG synchro shift at 8800 miles. Last wknd I changed it again with the Calimer Cocktail.

Am I about to have a major problem or will it still live for awhile?
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I changed the fluid to BG synchro shift at 8800 miles. Last wknd I changed it again with the Calimer Cocktail.
So the only thing you changed from last weekend to today’s gear noise event is the fluid ?

I’d suggest going back to the BG SS II.
Or Motul Multi-DCTF if in a northern cold climate.

OP
OP

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the only thing you changed from last weekend to today’s gear noise event is the fluid ?

I’d suggest going back to the BG SS II.
Or Motul Multi-DCTF if in a northern cold climate.
I put probably 400 miles on the new fluid before the noise started. I was very hard on the car this wknd and I noticed the noise shortly after but besides that it’s working perfectly.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
It's really hit or miss with the MT-82. Some hold together with 700 hp, others grenade themselves on stock power levels. It's really more of a quality control issue than it is a fluid issue. That being said, they were never designed to handle 6,7,800 hp. If you're beating on it with 600 whp, it's only a matter of time.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It's really hit or miss with the MT-82. Some hold together with 700 hp, others grenade themselves on stock power levels. It's really more of a quality control issue than it is a fluid issue.
No, it's more of the bag of water sitting between the steering wheel and seat issue.

Anyways OP fill it to the top ? Car sitting level ? Barring that, maybe as suggested go back to the fluid you were using before.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
No, it's more of the bag of water sitting between the steering wheel and seat issue.

Anyways OP fill it to the top ? Car sitting level ? Barring that, maybe as suggested go back to the fluid you were using before.
I've been running the Calimer cocktail for 20k miles with 800 HP, Its not the fluid. Bad shifts, dropping the hammer at high RPM, grinding gears, etc. OP said the were "really hard on it" then the noise started. Drive it around for a while, then drain the fluid and look for metal.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I've been running the Calimer cocktail for 20k miles with 800 HP, Its not the fluid. Bad shifts, dropping the hammer at high RPM, grinding gears, etc. OP said the were "really hard on it" then the noise started. Drive it around for a while, then drain the fluid and look for metal.

I agree it’s not the fluid. No dropping the hammer or grinding gears though.
When I boosted the car I knew the risk of breaking things would increase.
I did a lot of roll racing the day before I noticed the whine. A few 40 and 60 rolls so there was some fast shifting for sure but I never had to fight the shifter and never missed a gear.

The good news is all is still functioning perfectly. I will drive it a bit over the Next week and then drain fluid again and look for metal.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The good news is all is still functioning perfectly.
I still think some fluid is noisier than others, but, as long as it's business as usual keep sending it.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I agree it’s not the fluid. No dropping the hammer or grinding gears though.
When I boosted the car I knew the risk of breaking things would increase.
Well that blows my theory all to heck.
The fluid is the only thing you changed and I’m sure the thrashing wasn’t the first.
Roush boosts the S550 with MT-82’s and sells it with a full warranty.
The MT-82 is rated at 396 ft. lbs. torque @ 9300 gvwr. This equals out to over 700 ft. lbs. torque in the S550.
As stated, drain it and I’d take a magnet to the fluid.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The MT-82 is rated at 396 ft. lbs. torque @ 9300 gvwr. This equals out to over 700 ft. lbs. torque in the S550.
Sir, how'd you come across this data ? cause that's very interesting !
Sponsored