Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track
Has anyone driven or own a '15 wrx?

I'm personally torn. My personal priorities--

Handling
Steering feedback/feel
Interior quality, features
Acceleration
A driver's car feel from the seat (think miata, s2000)

Can the 2.3L mustang be an overall better car with respect to above even if the handling won't match the WRX?

Ofcourse awd/rwd, sedan/coupe arguments, but my preferences lie in the above list.

Anyone cross shopping these two? Strange I know, but what can you do. I'm coming from an '11 GTI which I have become bored with.

And yes, the mustang looks infinitely better...
Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Anyone cross shopping these two?]

I am. I have not driven one, though. I probably won't be buying anything until at least next spring.

My shortlist is Mustang, WRX, 2016 Miata, GTI, Golf R

From what I've heard, the new WRX has an improved interior, but still has quite a few cheap elements and crappy base radio.

I actually think they look a bit better in person now that I've had a chance to see some. Still not a beautiful car by any means, but livable, and it looks good in rally blue.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
From what I've heard, the new WRX has an improved interior, but still has quite a few cheap elements and crappy base radio.
This is my experience in person.

I drove the '15 WRX and STI and both left me disappointed when it came to the interiors. Not at all impressed and bad enough that I scratched them off my list, no matter how great their legendary AWD system is.

OP
OP
susko

susko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track
My shortlist is Mustang, WRX, 2016 Miata, GTI, Golf R

As an owner of multiple GTI's over the last few years and coming from 3 c5's prior to that-- the GTI just has too much of that numb steering feel for me. My '11 has about $3k in suspension mods and although it handles like a go kart with minimal body roll (I point it into a corner at 50 and it just shoots in) its too video game like.

I heard the WRX is better in this regard. Mustang... I'm skeptical but hopeful

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
I've owned a bugeye WRX, spent several months in a later '05 one, and have had several Mustangs. I totally get the appeal of each.

I got to drive a '15 about a week ago (coworker's new toy). It's awesome, no two ways about it. If you're interested in the aftermarket at all, people are getting 280+whp out of them with just a tune. The interior has never been great on the WRXs but never terrible either; year-for-year they were always better than the pre-'10 Mustangs' and the '10+ are really only on-par with them. I haven't seen an S550 in person but it sounds like the improvement puts it over the WRX (which wouldn't be THAT difficult).

Given your criteria, it's a purely a your-personal-opinion thing at this point. The big differentiators between the WRX and the Mustang -- I need four doors, I need AWD for the weather/mountains, I need a real trunk/back seat, I like point-n-shoot handling vs traditional RWD sportscar handling -- are not expressed in your list. So unless any of those are go/no-go, it's completely up to you. Drive them both and see what you think!

Sponsored

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
I currently own a black 2015 wrx, and I used to have a 2012 yellow blaze metallic 5.0 mustang. I traded my raptor for the wrx because the gas was killing me in austin traffic, and despite the truck being badass, I hardly ever took it offroad. I needed a car and was willing to wait for the s550, but I read the news about power levels and decided to pass on it until an update.

I wasn't really considering the ecoboost s550, but I was interested in the performance on paper. My heart was set on a 450hp+ gt that could lick a low 12 bone stock. That wasn't happening so I started looking at the wrx because I saw one in the wild and instantly loved the side and rear profile. I test drove the sti as well, and the wrx is plenty for the street. The new wrx/sti is a car that can get you into serious trouble on public roads. The wrx has very minimal body roll when changing lanes at speed, and the awd system inspires confidence through every corner. There is some moderate understeer at the limit but I'm sure some tires and a few suspension mods could fix that. As far as straight line speed, the wrx is decently quick. Sub 5 second 0-60 times are doable with some practice, and a high 13 1/4 mile should be easy to achieve. Top end is lacking past 130mph in stock tune. Material quality is similar to a Toyota Corolla, fit and finish is suburb though. Everything about this car feels tight and solid. Exhaust is very quiet at wot(boxer boom at low rpm), but turbo whistle fills the cabin as boost builds.

I imagine the ecostang and wrx will be trading punches in magazine tests. The 4 door wrx will most likely post better acceleration and handling numbers, but the stang will have a better top end, better quality materials, and certainly way more style than the subaru. Both are similarly priced with or without options. It all comes down to what you need. The subaru has 4 doors, a usable back seat, superior bad weather driveability, and kind of an under the radar style (wolf in sheep's clothing/sleeper). The mustang will be more comfortable, quieter, better looking/more sporty. Both will be aftermarket monsters.

I have my eye on the 2016 focus rs, my ex girlfriend has a focus st and it is an amazingly fun and well built car that will only get better with awd and 330hp+. I'd love a gt350 but it will probably be a little too rich for my blood. An updated mustang gt might grab my attention in a year or two.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
no matter how great their legendary AWD system is.
I question this for overall handling performance.
I am far from an expert in automotive handling and AWD is obviously a great choice for off-road, rally and general snow/ice.

I have read a lot of things over the years that say for pure highspeed road performance RWD is the best choice.

The WRX obviously has a great reputation of handling, I just question if AWD is necessarily the better choice.

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
The WRX was the other car that i was considering. My old 04 Sti was the funnest car I've ever owned. Yeah, it didnt come with radio, the transmission made all kinds of noises that competed with sounds from the engine and turbo and I loved every part of the experience. It was very reliable for the time I had it. The EB looks like a fun car but for the difference I went with a base GT w/ PP.

When you choose the EB you are really getting a lot of car for the money, as long as you dont add all the bells and whistles. My opinion is that the car is around 300lbs overweight. If it were a 3200lbs it would be close to perfection. Something akin to the Japanese market Nissan Silvia so popular around the world.

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
I am far from an expert in automotive handling and AWD is obviously a great choice for off-road, rally and general snow/ice.

I have read a lot of things over the years that say for pure highspeed road performance RWD is the best choice.

The WRX obviously has a great reputation of handling, I just question if AWD is necessarily the better choice.
Maybe, but some of the fastest cars in the world have awd. High end Porsche cars (911/918 ), the Nissan gt-r, most Lamborghini models, the bugatti veyron, audi r8 quttro just to name a few.

From a pure drivers car experience standpoint, it is said that rwd is the most fun and rewarding. It's just hard to beat awd traction during standing start races, and handling/roadholding at the limit. I like both for different reasons.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Maybe, but some of the fastest cars in the world have awd. High end Porsche cars (911/918 ), the Nissan gt-r, most Lamborghini models, the bugatti veyron, audi r8 quttro just to name a few.

From a pure drivers car experience standpoint, it is said that rwd is the most fun and rewarding. It's just hard to beat awd traction during standing start races, and handling/roadholding at the limit. I like both for different reasons.
It's a matter of efficiently getting torque to the pavement. The scenarios where this is most difficult are starts from a dig, exits from low speed corners and turns, driving over subpar surfaces, and driving a car where power largely exceeds mechanical grip (like the hypercars you mentioned). AWD is almost always a burden for turning and braking; more weight and always a more forward bias with all else being equal (which is more of a non-issue in a MR/RR setup... like those cars you mentioned). It only provides help during acceleration.

It's also arguable that the extra weight over the nose in combination with torque being sent to the front wheels can impact a car's steering characteristics. I couldn't tell you if that's to a noticeable degree though.

The only time I'd be interested in an AWD car is if it happened to have a largely neutral balance and a whole hell of a lot of power to deal with, with a rear-biased torque split. Otherwise, give me a RWD car and I'll have fun letting the four wheelers pass by.

Sponsored

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
RWD has always felt better/"purer" to me, but Subaru sure did a good job opening my eyes up to what AWD can do.

While a mid-engined RWD car (and I've owned one of those too -- miss you little MR2!) properly set up will produce the best times on a glass-smooth course driven by a driver more talented than 90% of the population and more skilled than 99.9% of it, where AWD shines is 5/10ths-8/10ths driving over imperfect surfaces in imperfect weather with imperfect pilots. I.e., just about any time on the street :D

OP
OP
susko

susko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track
Anyone test drive both (or own a wrx and test drive the new pony)?

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
As an owner of multiple GTI's over the last few years and coming from 3 c5's prior to that-- the GTI just has too much of that numb steering feel for me. My '11 has about $3k in suspension mods and although it handles like a go kart with minimal body roll (I point it into a corner at 50 and it just shoots in) its too video game like.

I heard the WRX is better in this regard. Mustang... I'm skeptical but hopeful
maybe you should learn how to set up a car a drive on a track. first step is to not spend 3k on suspension..

learn how to do what you are trying to do..

once again i am talking about a track!

beers

Sanctuary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German cars.
I test drove a 2015 WRX today. Based off your preferences:

Handling - WRX
Steering feedback/feel - WRX
Interior quality, features - EB
Acceleration- EB
A driver's car feel from the seat (think miata, s2000) - WRX

It's tough the 2015 Mustang's look alone sold my gf on it. However, the WRX was cross shopped with a 335i and C250 coupe. If you're coming from a GTI and bored I'd say give the EB a shot. Test drive it a few times or find a member/individual who will be kind enough to offer you rides.

Robinson02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 5.0
I test drove a 2015 WRX today. Based off your preferences:

Handling - WRX
Steering feedback/feel - WRX
Interior quality, features - EB
Acceleration- EB
A driver's car feel from the seat (think miata, s2000) - WRX

It's tough the 2015 Mustang's look alone sold my gf on it. However, the WRX was cross shopped with a 335i and C250 coupe. If you're coming from a GTI and bored I'd say give the EB a shot. Test drive it a few times or find a member/individual who will be kind enough to offer you rides.
people actually drive those things?
Sponsored