Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
More things that make me want to throw up over!
Ford engineering was totally asleep when the figured they could get away with producing this car at 3k less than the 17, without serious complications cause of the heat! And all of its ramifications.
Why did you buy a tech pack
Sponsored

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Why did you buy a tech pack
For many of the same reasons more than 3400 other owners did, without the technical knowledge many of you have educated us on, and the lack of knowledge or information given to us by the sales team at Ford.
We didn't buy a Heath Kit car that you had to build or upgrade.

Jmk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350
Yes sir, it is. I haven't ripped mine apart yet but there is obviously some minor machining/ tapping of holes to be done.
Did u buy from Tremec? Is there any instructions available?

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
The Mercon name is deceptive since ATF is about 7W - to about 5W in viscosity when hot. Failures happen because when trans overheat they can go to 3W and even 0W loosing lubricity and the ability to wick away heat from surface tension. I see Amsoil Signature series ATF and Readline D6 ATF is able to offer LV spec and I have seen Dextron-Mercon specs in 10-20-30W. The Amsoil is 15W from what I have read however there are different spec charts to show viscosity ( motor oil vs gear oil).

The LV stands for low viscosity...

quote" This uni-viscosity full synthetic fluid is a universal Automatic Transmission Fluid that combines the benefits of a low and high viscosity formula."

Mercon LV is not fully synthetic according to the MSDS (http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...us179895us.pdf) as petroleum distillates are indicated in heavy and light grades. It a synthetic blend though since the range is open enough to provide for non-mineral stocks too. According to ford "Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives".

Per the information above viscosity at 100c is 6.0 thats equal to between a 75W and 80W viscosity gear oil according to J306 Viscosity Classification for Automotive Gear Oils. If you were using the motor oil chart it would be equal to 15W motor oil in viscosity. 80W gear would stop providing protection when outside air temp reaches 100F and 75W at 60F. I don't see how this is adequate without an oil cooler. Spirited driving would drive the temps up and lead to oil digression combined with the gears sheering the oil would lead to trans failure like I experienced in a hot climate like Dallas. Last summer we saw 114deg combined with open highways I am uncertain that the trans is not being harmed. I suspect Ford is gathering data for a business case as miles and warranty claim begin to to fill in delta's. The Mercon LV has a service life of 150K miles per spec if trans fail and oil analysis shows early degradation thats could be a class action problem against the motorcraft oil itself (Ford's lubricants seem to be supplied by Conoco-Philips) and Ford for specifying this in pretty much all the newer trans. Other cars probably don't hit the same temps but it could be a publicity nightmare like Firestone tires exploding..

At 137c in limp home mode the viscosity would be 3.3 which is about a 65W gear oil
At 126c your typical temp the viscosity would be 3.8 which is just under a 70W gear oil

I would not expect a base, or tech driven as a DD to last in warm climates without an aggressive maint schedule. I will change my fluid every spring. In Summer my transmission lives at 220-260ish degrees. My only hope is Voodoo helping me retrofit the coolers. Zero dealers want a tech pack. Every trade situation has been an extreme low-ball. I don't have the wealth to lose several K on my 2016, then turn around and pay top dollar for a new 2017. At least Chevy appears to have gotten their cooler issues fixed with their high performance line.

Sponsored

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Unfortunately there are lots of smarter car people than I who also bought the tech pack, so you can call me just plain dumb, but to those who are way more car savvy, you can't call them dumb, only cheated.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
For many of the same reasons more than 3400 other owners did, without the technical knowledge many of you have educated us on, and the lack of knowledge or information given to us by the sales team at Ford.
We didn't buy a Heath Kit car that you had to build or upgrade.
I'm not insulting or judging you. But when I ordered my car June 2016 when the order banks opened all the information was available. I didn't rely on my salesperson to inform me on the vehicle. I agree ford fked up by not installing coolers on all gt350s but how much longer are people going to keep the heartache going? We're going into the 3rd model year and ford performance still hasn't and will not provide a solution.
I wish there were an easy fix, but others have reported positive and negative results with the Shelby America scoop.

If I myself had a tech or base I would replace the trans with a track/R trans and cooler setup.
I wish you the best.

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Mine was an early production vehicle, was not aware of the issues and don't think that there was a lot of early info., clearly for the less informed we were misled by the info given to us, however from all the forum chat there are many car geeks who knew way more than I, and still bought the tech package. All of you folks with tons of knowledge and info have given me a graduate education, and it's been great. Since I can't do the install my self, I asked my dealer, as I suspected full retail for everything, and of course no warranty. Since we don't know all the details on the differential cooler solution other than true McGiver ingenuity by many of the talented owners, we are half way there. But I truly believe that we won't have a great resale market as others will.
I am not insulted by the members of the Forum rather indebted from their knowledge! I am insulted by Ford and it's attitude, and that's not going away.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I bought two previous fords on there first year of production, explorer, super duty. Both had problems that took years to get fixed. I swore I'd wait with the gt350 the ADM helped me wait. My 10/16 gt350 seems to be perfect so far, and I paid 800 less than MSRP . Only thing I 'm doing is MGW shifter, steada clutch spring. For those that bought base tech cars you should have done more research but ford and dealers should have stressed NOT TRACK READY. I think ford is owning up by making cooling kits but mistake are expensive.

Last edited:

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
I bought two previous fords on there first year of production, explorer, super duty. Both had problems that took years to get fixed. I swore I'd wait with the gt350 the ADM helped me wait. My 10/16 gt350 seems to be perfect so far, and I paid 800 less than MSRP . Only thing I 'm doing is MGW shifter, steada clutch spring. For those that bought base tech cars you should have done more research but ford and dealers should have stressed NOT TRACK READY. I think ford is owning up by making cooling kits but mistake are expensive.
Yes that's why I say I was stupid, jumped and relied on the sales team to educate me on the car and which trim to pick! Paid 10k over, that's another mistake, and now the fixes not cheap. This car is starting to sound like a boat, where you just keep pissing money away!

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Mine was an early production vehicle, was not aware of the issues and don't think that there was a lot of early info., clearly for the less informed we were misled by the info given to us, however from all the forum chat there are many car geeks who knew way more than I, and still bought the tech package. All of you folks with tons of knowledge and info have given me a graduate education, and it's been great. Since I can't do the install my self, I asked my dealer, as I suspected full retail for everything, and of course no warranty. Since we don't know all the details on the differential cooler solution other than true McGiver ingenuity by many of the talented owners, we are half way there. But I truly believe that we won't have a great resale market as others will.
I am not insulted by the members of the Forum rather indebted from their knowledge! I am insulted by Ford and it's attitude, and that's not going away.
Mines a track pack production # G0413 production date was made on October 21 2015. I ordered mine June 2015 got it December 2015 All the info was posted and options available before I even ordered mine.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Yes that's why I say I was stupid, jumped and relied on the sales team to educate me on the car and which trim to pick! Paid 10k over, that's another mistake, and now the fixes not cheap. This car is starting to sound like a boat, where you just keep pissing money away!
Fords sales people can be partial to blame not informing customers of the options available. But I still blame ford for not producing the 2015/16 as they did the 2017. They should all have coolers for Pete sakes.

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Fords sales people can be partial to blame not informing customers of the options available. But I still blame ford for not producing the 2015/16 as they did the 2017. They should all have coolers for Pete sakes.
AMEN to that!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wanted to post some more updates and tips from a non-pro wrench turner doing the change over from tech pack to track pack transmission in order to add the coolers. I have the transmission to the point of being ready to come out.

I removed the splitter and front belly pan before removing the starter. I think it helped being able to see a little better. If I had it to do again I'd remove the passenger side wheel and wheel liner early as well.

I also removed the driver's side catalytic converter even though the instructions don't say to do it. There are two bolts at the top of the transmission holding the transmission to the engine. I really couldn't see or access the driver's side bolt without removing the catalytic converter on that side. I used a long extension and a ratchet to do the top two bolts, and the driver's side has the vent tube clipped to it. So you have to get the vent tube unclipped before you will be able to remove that bolt.

Oh, this is probably obvious to most people, but when you remove the clutch hydraulic line it will drip. Good to have a pan to catch it. I used a 90 degree pick tool to get the little spring clip off the hydraulic line. That worked pretty well.

Now that I'm deep into this - I would say this isn't a super easy job. It's been a while since I worked on cars very much, but I've done many and varied car repairs and modifications in my life. I would definitely discourage a novice from doing it.

Leonard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
More things that make me want to throw up over!
Ford engineering was totally asleep when the figured they could get away with producing this car at 3k less than the 17, without serious complications cause of the heat! And all of its ramifications.
If I had to guess.. the engineers probably weren't the cause of this. Marketing and bean counters probably told them they had to hit a price point.
Sponsored