Sponsored

2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You do not think the scoop alone will cool the trans enough to avoid limp mode or the complete system with transmission cooler?

I have a track pack with ARH off road X pipes and I'm considering the scoop alone.
I would be surprised if it's enough by itself, but obviously I don't know. I think it might stave off limp mode on the street, but possibly not on the track. The people who have had limp mode during stop and go traffic might still have a problem, since there's no air flow when you are stopped. It will depend on ambient temperatures, I'm sure. It will also depend on driving style.
Sponsored

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
I like that piece. The design appears solid as it will scoop in air lower than the belly pan and forces it upward onto the tunnel. That block off part seems to block air from just skimming the bottom of the trans. For $200 I'll probably be a buyer.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I like that piece. The design appears solid as it will scoop in air lower than the belly pan and forces it upward onto the tunnel. That block off part seems to block air from just skimming the bottom of the trans. For $200 I'll probably be a buyer.
I like it and will be ordering one as well. Be nice is Shelby America comes out with a complete kit soon. I like the looks of the lines in the picture too.

This depends on if I can find an R I can buy or not....

Last edited:

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I got this email from my contact at Shelby today...

"I had the GT350 transmission scoop go live on our website a few minutes ago.

https://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TCS-GT350 "

You do need to remove the scoop to change the oil and other parts are "supposed" to be coming soon. he did not say what other parts or when just that they are working on it. from the pics, there are lines to the drain plugs and Vince at Shelby told me there will be a kit but who knows when. i just hope it is thermostatically controlled and its a "clean" install. i don't want anything rigged.
It sits pretty far rearward. I wonder why you would have to remove it to change the oil. Unless they mean trans oil.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST

I think it is worth a try, esp. at this price. It may be a street car solution, but I don't know that it will be a track day solution. Best of luck to everyone with this.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
All I can say is that once again the aftermarket proves superior to ford performance. All year long all people heard from FP was "we're working on it" yet they have nothing to show for it. At least Shelby has made something and proven it and it's available. Time will tell how it performs. The scoop might not be the fix all, but combined with the trans cooler they said will be available soon sure will fix it.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't someone try the boss trans scoop and find that it didn't work?
And another person tried the heat shields on the cats and that didn't work?
So I'm not convinced this will work without tempiture reading ms from compatible laps at a track.

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So I'm not convinced this will work without tempiture reading ms from compatible laps at a track.
It is not a final solution. I can see it will help dissipate the heat created by the exhaust around the transmission faster while on the move. Air temp obviously affects the overall temperature. Much the same as routing more air into the wheel well to cool down braking systems faster.

Sponsored

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
You are correct. This one looks different than the Boss' but I still don't believe it's going to be enough by itself but it can't hurt.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It is not a final solution. I can see it will help dissipate the heat created by the exhaust around the transmission faster while on the move. Air temp obviously affects the overall temperature. Much the same as routing more air into the wheel well to cool down braking systems faster.
I understand how it works.

I was pointing out that both blocking heat from the cats and scooping cool air to the trans case have been tried on the GT350. Both failed. Now I don't know if both heat reducing measures were tried at the same time and that may be the difference.

But without actual measurements before installation and after installation on comparable laps then I don't think I'm buying that this is gonna do anything.

Bottom Line for me, if it's not gonna get me an HPDE session then it's not a good fix. I'm still leaning towards a cooler kit.

1Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I kinda believe it will. Been in the 50's here and I noticed the trans temp takes much much longer to heat up. stays in the 160-170's at the max just going around town. Down from 200+ in the summer months. So obviously ambient air affects the trans temp at some point.

79 degrees in FL this am and after an hour drive to the office, I was at 210 degrees :doh: and I was not driving it "hard"...well maybe a little :headbang:. this needs to be resolved before I spend any more money on track time. not worth paying to sit out and watch

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Per Shelby, you do need to remove to change the oil
Not if you use a form a funnel or cardboard bent as a trough above the drain plug as the oil is flowing. I do it all the time. Once the oil flow slows down you can remove the funnel/trough.
Sponsored