2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

stshoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Avalanche w/Black Stripe and roof, tech pack
I hope the rumors aren't true about them not following thru on the project. Just ran road america today and all 4 full sessions I was in the car hit limp mode. I even dropped from group 2 to 3 in hopes of running with slower cars and babying it a little more. I ended up babying the car and i was able to get another lap or two out of it compared to my run in group 2. It was a blast to drive until the limp kicked in. However, super disappointing to have to shift at 6k and not use all the gears in some of the corners to help keep the revs down.
Sponsored

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
Low viscosity automatic transmission fluid in a manual transmission isn't helping the situation. That would be the first thing to try.
Elaborate, please. This is the first I'm hearing about the fluid.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
Do tell please?
Talked about this yesterday with a well known tremec builder and he said ford used this fluid to help achieve smooth shifting..but none the less he said he was surprised they used a low viscosity fluid it this performance tranny..

Sponsored

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
I hope the rumors aren't true about them not following thru on the project. Just ran road america today and all 4 full sessions I was in the car hit limp mode. I even dropped from group 2 to 3 in hopes of running with slower cars and babying it a little more. I ended up babying the car and i was able to get another lap or two out of it compared to my run in group 2. It was a blast to drive until the limp kicked in. However, super disappointing to have to shift at 6k and not use all the gears in some of the corners to help keep the revs down.
What's worse is being passed on the frickin highway while your car is brainfarting.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Elaborate, please. This is the first I'm hearing about the fluid.
Do tell please?
The Shelby is running Auto Transmission Fluid in the Tremec. For most applications it's fine. But it's not an automatic transmission is it? It has gears that spin around.

They market it with "Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is manufactured with high-viscosity index"

but then you look at the spec sheet and see that at 100C it's a 6 (rough numbers) a 5W20 at 100C is about an 8. ATF's are designed for what amounts to a hydraulic system. They do not offer the resistance to shear found in a manual transmission with gears spinning around.

Honestly I just haven't gotten around to writing instructions for the Shelby's yet. The non-Track Packs are easy, same as our Mustang Kits. I would honestly try a quality transmission fluid made for manuals. We of course recommend BG Syncro Shift.
LVATF.jpg
LVATF Specs.jpg

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I'm very tempted to swap my tranny fluid with the Amsoil MTF that's been sitting in my garage for the past few months. :shrug:
Have nothing to loose, i'm sure it way better than the Motorcraft stuff.

TRACK CRAZY GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2010 VW GTI, 2016 Mustang GT350
I know the feeling. I have run 5 HPDE events now and have hit limp mode after about 10 minutes on every run. There is no way to prevent limp mode no matter how you drive the car. There has been plenty of time for Ford to come up with a solution or even say there might be a solution. All we here are rumors that Ford is working on the problem. No one can show me in writing that Ford is even thinking about a fix for the limp mode issue. The small number of base and tech cars are not enough for Ford to go to the trouble of fixing. They made a small mistake in 2016 and fixed it in 2017. Even the aftermarket people are not interested in a fix because of the low volume of cars involved. The only fix to the problem will be to fabricate our own coolers. Yes a few of us buyers have been SCREWED!

Sponsored

Leonard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Even the aftermarket people are not interested in a fix because of the low volume of cars involved.
With the relatively small number of cars involved its unlikely that the aftermarket will move on a solution so long as Ford stays silently on the fence.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
BG has a lot of happy Customers based on the responses HERE

BG is blended to a 75W80 so it still works well cold but it's designed for manual transmissions.
Thank you very much for the info.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know the feeling. I have run 5 HPDE events now and have hit limp mode after about 10 minutes on every run. There is no way to prevent limp mode no matter how you drive the car. There has been plenty of time for Ford to come up with a solution or even say there might be a solution. All we here are rumors that Ford is working on the problem. No one can show me in writing that Ford is even thinking about a fix for the limp mode issue. The small number of base and tech cars are not enough for Ford to go to the trouble of fixing. They made a small mistake in 2016 and fixed it in 2017. Even the aftermarket people are not interested in a fix because of the low volume of cars involved. The only fix to the problem will be to fabricate our own coolers. Yes a few of us buyers have been SCREWED!
Ford is not working on a solution, but I have it in writing that Ford Performance is working on two solutions. I don't have any specifics like dates or prices, though.

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Honestly sorry you owners on this side are dealing with this issue. Was hoping to see some snakes at the track this summer and ready to run.

To me this is big time false advertising and now they may potential charge you hundreds of dollars to correct the issue so you can realistically receive the performance they advertised? I believe there's a lawsuit in here somewhere. Also major embarrassment to the engineers at Ford Performance.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Honestly sorry you owners on this side are dealing with this issue. Was hoping to see some snakes at the track this summer and ready to run.

To me this is big time false advertising and now they may potential charge you hundreds of dollars to correct the issue so you can realistically receive the performance they advertised? I believe there's a lawsuit in here somewhere. Also major embarrassment to the engineers at Ford Performance.
I personally hate law suits and I think that it is too easy to sue in the US. I believe law suits cause a ton of problems for businesses here and the public pays for it in higher costs and some products are just unavailable. I do agree that the ads were quite misleading especially when contrasted against Ford's current position regarding track use of base and tech cars.

I just want some coolers for the car so I can have fun with it and not worry about warranty coverage or long term damage. Seems like it will be 2017 before I get them, but I'm very hopeful that I will get them eventually.
Sponsored