Sponsored

2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

TRACK CRAZY GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2010 VW GTI, 2016 Mustang GT350
I talked to the Ford Performance team today at the All Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA. They have two solutions on the way.

Immediate Solution set to drop anyday. Official Transmission swap package with coolers for those who have to track their Tech or Base GT350 ASAP and price isn't an issue.

The second and more affordable solution is an external pump and cooler setup, but it won't be available until Fall.

I could tell they want to protect the GT350 image and are working hard to get some solid solutions out there. They recognize most of us didn't have a choice and only what the dealer decided to order which majority are Tech packs.
I talked to the FORD PERFORMANCE guys at Barrett Jackson Connecticut June 24th. Nobody had a clue about the trans limp mode issue. Jim Owens was there but after several tries I could not find him or maybe he was avoiding me. Who did you talk to at PA?
Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I talked to the FORD PERFORMANCE guys at Barrett Jackson Connecticut June 24th. Nobody had a clue about the trans limp mode issue. Jim Owens was there but after several tries I could not find him or maybe he was avoiding me. Who did you talk to at PA?
:doh: I'm under the impression that we'll never see a Ford solution to this.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Not everyone is on the same page at FR. Some are well versed on the issue and some are busy working on other projects. I've not heard that the solution they were working on has been abandoned.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
if you put together all of the parts from the parts book, including the new transmission, with good discounts, you're looking at about 8500.

I'd wager a guess that with core, plus the electronics needed to do the same, it will be between 4 and 5 grand. If it is less than that, it will be awesome, but i dont expect it to be.

I am keenly interested in the differential cooler part of whatever kit that FP puts out.

Getting information on the differential pump's pinout is proving to be challenging for me. 6 position plug, and i'd expect no more than 5 positions. ( power, ground, signal on pump: two wires for sensor.) then again, maybe there is a trigger wire coming off of the sensor, but i'd have expected the trigger to come from a relay.

i cant even find a troubleshooting voltage diagram for the differential pump.

IF the kit includes a reflash for the ECU and ties the pumps into the big screen, I will be seriously considering the kit. The computer part of the whole deal is by far the most difficult.
Plus labor to install the parts could easily be a couple grand. It would be great if there was a discount either on the labor or on the parts. It would also be great if the owner could install the parts and retain full warranty coverage. However, I would be a little surprised if that was the case.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
To install the oem cooler the bumper,radiator ac compressor and possibly the ac condenser have to come out, the lines snake between the radiator and core support. it's alot of work.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
:doh: I'm under the impression that we'll never see a Ford solution to this.
I would think reputation is everything with a halo car. They do nothing or too little for the expectations of the majority and risk loosing confidence in future projects. I hope this isn't the case.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would think reputation is everything with a halo car. They do nothing or too little for the expectations of the majority and risk loosing confidence in future projects. I hope this isn't the case.
My regional customer service manager just called me today and said Ford isn't working on it.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but she said possibly Ford Performance is going to develop something.

I hope this doesn't mean I can get coolers from Ford Performance, but they are considered aftermarket and cause me warranty issues.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I didn't get names but it was few different people at the Ford Performance display. The story was the same from all of them.

This would be the parts side of Ford Performance working on the coolers not the main team working on the cars. At least that's the impression I got.

TRACK CRAZY GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2010 VW GTI, 2016 Mustang GT350
My regional customer service manager just called me today and said Ford isn't working on it.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but she said possibly Ford Performance is going to develop something.

I hope this doesn't mean I can get coolers from Ford Performance, but they are considered aftermarket and cause me warranty issues.
Yes, this is what I was afraid of "Ford isn't working on it". "POSSIBLY Ford Performance is". I have had the runaround from all at Ford. There is no evidence that any part of Ford is working on the problem. If we were to start a poll on the possibility of Ford fixing the limp mode problem my answer would be NO. With only a little over three thousand base and tech cars made Ford is just going to let them hang and dry. There answer is "why didn't you buy a track pack car?" 'We told you the base and tech pack car was not designed to be tracked". :mad: The GT350 the greatest track car Ford has ever made! Yeh right! :(

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
If true, very dissapointing. :tsk:

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
As much as I agree with you, give them a chance. It's only July. They are slow as molasses, but I would at least give them until the end of the year until I get out the pitchforks.

Ford Performance parts are usually warrantied the same as the car if installed by a Ford dealer. I'd imagine any cooler they would produce is the same way.

It's a crap situation and you'd be well within your rights to abandon the brand with a bad taste in your mouth. But you really haven't given them much time (in gigantic company terms) to ship anything especially since it's only been a 2-3 months since they started saying they might produce something at all.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
As much as I agree with you, give them a chance. It's only July. They are slow as molasses, but I would at least give them until the end of the year until I get out the pitchforks.

Ford Performance parts are usually warrantied the same as the car if installed by a Ford dealer. I'd imagine any cooler they would produce is the same way.

It's a crap situation and you'd be well within your rights to abandon the brand with a bad taste in your mouth. But you really haven't given them much time (in gigantic company terms) to ship anything especially since it's only been a 2-3 months since they started saying they might produce something at all.
However, Ford was very quick to use the data from our 15-16 base/techs to modify the 17 GT350s...

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
However, Ford was very quick to use the data from our 15-16 base/techs to modify the 17 GT350s...
Re-evaluating options packages is something they do every year based on sales, reviews and customer feedback and really took no effort except for making sure suppliers can supply more widgets. That's a lot different than jury rigging a transmission for cooling that doesn't have a pump inside it. Again, problem of their own making and I don't sympathize with Ford, but apples and oranges.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Well over a year since they knew this was a problem though. And it's hard to imagine that they didn't realize how significant the problem was prior to deciding to sell the tech/base cars "as is".

I'm not very happy with Ford pretending that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Maybe they need to split the company in this way for some legal reason, but they don't need this level of siloing and denial.

I don't know about abandoning Ford, but this experience will make me reconsider buying a limited edition "special" vehicle as well as even buying something new. If Ford doesn't step up when they make a mistake maybe I should be waiting until the vehicle is a couple years old and all the problems are known prior to buying. I'm seeing less benefit in having a new vehicle with warranty coverage when Ford's answer is, "huh, we know nothing about that and we aren't doing anything about it. You should have bought a different car." Yeah maybe I should have bought a different car. :(
Sponsored