Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Power Pack 3 experience in California: The good and the bad.

Just wanted to report on my experience with PP3 here in California (=lousy 91 gas). I have a '17 GT with PP3 and no other mods other than a FP oil separator. When I had the PP installed, I was actually a bit upset. I had read that the power curve is smoother ("tamer") so should have known what to expect, based on people's experience here and on the MotoIQ test. But I missed the mid-range surges with the stock manifold/calibration more than I thought...it just wasn't as fun to goose the throttle in the mid-range as before. That was a few thousand miles ago, and since then, I've changed from almost wanting to eat the $2.5K+ and 472 hp and go back to stock or PP2, to really loving the car with PP3. It's still a bit smooth for my taste in the low-mid range but charges hard in the upper rev range...it's super fun to floor it in 2nd and feel the power as the tach swings past 4K, knowing it's just going to get better until it peaks over 3K later! It's crazy fast. Third gear pulls are the best, it gets to bonkers speeds before you know it. So, absolutely no regrets now...not for going with PP3 or with getting a '17 and saving some money rather than an '18 (or the WRX I was considering...the '17s were pretty cheap at the end of last year so were competitive). Since mine's a base GT (with zero options) I have the skinny 235 all-season tires, and with PP3 I can't floor it in first without some wheelspin, even at higher revs. But it does mean it's about 100 lbs lighter than most PP and/or premium models, which is equivalent to an additional 11-12 hp at our hp/curb weight ratio. Would make a killer roll-racer, though it would get beaten badly in a dig race or at the track.

What is very annoying, though, is the pinging. If it's warm out (IAT>120 or so), AC on going uphill or otherwise under load, you'll hear that rattle at <3K or so rpm. I hate it. It settles out afterwards, and when the IAT is cool (~80) I generally don't hear it and never hear it at high rpm during a pull (I always do that with the window open, just to hear the engine). But still, it takes getting used to. FP swears it does no damage, which I believe, actually...I've never heard of anyone experiencing engine damage due to using a FPPP, and since I'm aware of it now, I hear lots of cars pinging under load, especially BMWs. So I guess it's just something we have to live with with cars using aggressive timing curves, and just get used to. If you're on 91 and it's a warm day, roll down your window and listen when you goose it at ~2500 rpm, you'll hear that rattle. But (I hope) it's under knock-sensor control and not going to damage anything. I just hope I can recognize what it sounds like if it IS doing something bad, but I doubt that's ever going to happen....these calibrations are too well tested and OEM engineered.
I wonder what that pinging sounds like.
Sponsored

Kevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
I wonder what that pinging sounds like.
Similar to Meatball, I’ve got PP3 installed along with xtremes so I can only hear it with windows rolled down in a parking garage at low rpms (below 3k) in 1st and sometimes bogging down in 2nd but it sounds like tingy rattles in successions of 4 or so rattles. Parking garage isn’t long enough for me to sustain the rpm for long so not sure if it continues until I hit higher rpms. Not sure if it’s the same thing as Meatball but that’s what I’ve been hearing.

On a side note, cel came on for a P0420. PP3 installed 1400 miles ago. 30k on the car right now. Let’s see what the dealer says..

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
I think thats the 2nd catalyst efficiency issue I have heard of when folks have had Power Packs. Odd

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Similar to Meatball, I’ve got PP3 installed along with xtremes so I can only hear it with windows rolled down in a parking garage at low rpms (below 3k) in 1st and sometimes bogging down in 2nd but it sounds like tingy rattles in successions of 4 or so rattles. Parking garage isn’t long enough for me to sustain the rpm for long so not sure if it continues until I hit higher rpms. Not sure if it’s the same thing as Meatball but that’s what I’ve been hearing...
That's just about exactly what I hear, a few rattles that go away by mid-rpm. I have a feeling everyone on 91 has to deal with this. But FP says this is normal and won't cause damage, and again I believe them. Even for stock, the manual says "Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly". Ford likes to run at the hairy edge of knock, and when you get on the gas, the engine probes that limit by going beyond it then scaling the timing back a little. That's a guess but I think it's right. Power packs are probably even more aggressive, but that doesn't mean there's going to be damage. They're probably still on the conservative side despite what we hear out the window...I'm sure they don't want to lose lots of warranty money with busted rings, holes in pistons, etc. It's Ford OEM. Besides, we'd know about that from this forum. But it's still something to get used to.

It's worth getting used to...raging high rpm power, a much better power:weight ratio than Scat Packs, Camaro SSs, Boss 302s, every 1960s muscle car aside from Shelby Cobras (and maybe Corvette 427s), and (if you have a lighter model) 2019 Bullitts. Again, base models have crappy standard tires so it's just a number, a p:w statistic; you'd lose dig races to a lot or all of those. The 2018/19 GTs are probably very close (I would guess, based on performance numbers, that they have somewhere between 468-478 hp stock rather than 460...but the manuals have ridiculously tall gearing (1:1 4th) so would be at a disadvantage...the autos would kick everyone's butt). Worse than GT350s and all S197 GT500s, but hey, those are expensive. Were you into cars in the 1980s? If you have an S550 GT with PP2, you have (one) more hp than the Countach on the poster you used to have in your bedroom, and if you have PP3, you have (one) more than an F40. But our Mustangs are super heavy so lose in p:w and probably any race, if that matters. Still, cool to think about.

Kevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
P0420 code went away on its own after a couple hundred miles or so... service appt is tomorrow. Is it worth taking it in? What does it mean if the code goes away on its own..?

Sponsored

nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium PP
...That's just about exactly what I hear, a few rattles that go away by mid-rpm. I have a feeling everyone on 91 has to deal with this. But FP says this is normal and won't cause damage, and again I believe them....
When I was in Houston running 93 octane, the knock wasn't noticeable. Then I came to the northwest (octane = 92) and was surprised to discover light knocking at low RPMs an dhigh throttle.

When you tell the doctor "it hurts when I do this", usually the doctor just says "well don't do that then!" Takeaway: If you get light knocking at low RPMs and high throttle, just downshift before goosing it, for chrissakes.

Alternatively - you can buy Torco octane boost in bulk for $20/can. This is sorta-kinda worth it in my case, since my car only sees very occasional, recreational use (I commute by bicycle) - and I love having the additional power and fuel range.

Some math on Torco use: A quarter can of this stuff mixed into 16gal fuel should raise octane by a little over 1 x (R+M)/2 (i.e. moving from 92 to 93-plus octane). A typical fill-up is 16 gallons x $4/gal = $64. The Torco is $5 for a quarter-can. So it raises the cost of my fuel by just under 10% to go from 92 to 93 octane. (This calculation doesn't take into account any potential gains in fuel mileage from Torco use) Worth it if you're paranoid about knock. Note: If your pump gas is at 91, you'll have to put in more Torco per fillup to achieve 93 octane.

Alternatively alternatively - I could throw half a can of the Torco stuff in a 16gal tank, which would bring me up to 94 (R+M)/2! Then I'm adding ~18% to my cost of fuel, but I bet the computer would advance timing to take advantage of the more potent fuel.

Kevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
On a side note, cel came on for a P0420. PP3 installed 1400 miles ago. 30k on the car right now. Let’s see what the dealer says..
Update: Ford approved warranty work on P0420. Hoping to get it back today or tomorrow.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
There hasn't been an update to NLS to allow disabling it, I could be mistaken but I think the only time anyone has had the stutter is when they're leaving their foot on the clutch. I've had the kit for 7k miles now, and I've never had any trouble with it at all.
Not true, I created a poll over a year ago and started a dialogue with Ford Performance about an updated tune. They made and distributed it to many members.

Check my build thread and search for the poll for more info.

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not true, I created a poll over a year ago and started a dialogue with Ford Performance about an updated tune. They made and distributed it to many members.

Huh, thanks for the info about that. I didn't realize that was the case.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

I checked the poll thread and can't find anything regarding the ability to deactivate the NLS with the revised tune. i thought they only addressed the rev hang and some pinging issues. I have had a kit for a while but haven't installed it partially due to the NLS. Is there now an option to deactivate the NLS?

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st

Just went through your whole build thread and couldn't find it. Can you please post a link for us?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I checked the poll thread and can't find anything regarding the ability to deactivate the NLS with the revised tune. i thought they only addressed the rev hang and some pinging issues. I have had a kit for a while but haven't installed it partially due to the NLS. Is there now an option to deactivate the NLS?
Just went through your whole build thread and couldn't find it. Can you please post a link for us?
The v.2 tune I haggled with FP with deleted the NLS and fixed the rev hang and made it a more driveable affair. Give them a call M-F with your serial or
product number and ask for the updated tune.

Here is a link to my re-tune post:

Northbay Bullitt

Poll post (re tunes happen half way down):

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/poll-satisfaction-with-ford-performance-power-pack-2.72159/

Last edited:

Dory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think I am going to get the PP2 for my 15 GT. In reading about the installation process it mentions getting rid of the sound tube. Is this going to take away some of the nice noise of the engine? I like the way it sounds now. When I upgrade the exhaust will it make up the difference?

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Whatever the sound tube produced has been long forgotten after the installation of the Borla S Type AB's.
Sponsored