Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Applying my old logic, I would say that the timing is advanced too far and the spark mode will probably pull it back in to reduce the ping.

BTW I put 60 miles on mine today, all country roads, and no more ping. Last night after I picked it up at the dealer the drive home was a high volume of stop and go traffic. Thinking it didn't learn properly and hoping its all set now.
Yeah the older procal had a Y or N setting. The Y setting (assuming meant Yes there's ping) decreased the ping but also decrease the performance.
Sponsored

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
Yeah the older procal had a Y or N setting. The Y setting (assuming meant Yes there's ping) decreased the ping but also decrease the performance.
Agree, retarding the timing will result in sluggish performance.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Are folks with PP1 having ping too? The post about a possible leak makes sense to me. I wonder what will happen with PP3. Maryland has adopted the CA emissions standards, so I'll probably have to go with something CARB certified to stay out of trouble. Is there another CARB-legal alternative to Ford Performance? Maybe Roush?

Last edited:

Sponsored

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
Cool, where did you get that
They list for about $70 a pair....and higher! I searched for several days for a better price and the best I could do was about $57 from a guy on eBay. They came in about 3 days, and appear to be factory correct.

I don't know why this particular badge is so expensive, but it is well made. Actually better than the stock 5.0 badge, and as you can see, it is about the same length. Peel and stick.

FYI they also have the same badge with Ford Racing on it, if you prefer that (for $70). :frusty: :ford: :frusty:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Well party peeps, this has me and several others concerned. So much so that I decided to start a dialogue with Ford Performance.
I stated the issues that I have which some of you been experiencing. well, just check it out below and let me know what you think.

Some of the statements were a surprise to me.
"Our tune doesn't need to be revised" my white ass. :frusty:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sorry man, must've missed this. Can you elaborate on the other spark mapping mode? Is this selectable when interfacing with the procal tool?

Thanks in advance.
It's in like a configuration tab and you click "Yes". I can't remember the name of the setting and not near that laptop. It's on the last tab in Procal. Instructions explain what it is... sort of.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Glad the spark mapping mode seems to help a bit. I've been following your posts/problems for a while now, mostly because my PP2 is literally being installed right now, and wanted to know what to watch for.

I have been thinking about this for a few days now....I know some rev hang is to be expected (at least according to the info from FRPP that was posted earlier) but I'm wondering you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

I could be totally off base, but here is why I wonder this. If the engine is sucking air from somewhere it shouldn't be, the ecu is going to get real confused. In response, it wants to keep the engine running, thus, introducing more fuel to compensate. Given the T fitting that has to be installed, plus the throttle body to spacer seal, as well as all the other hoses that get unplugged and re-plugged during the install, I'm wondering if you have a tiny leak somewhere that is F'ing everything up?

Have you tried the old school trick of spraying the hoses with some soapy water and looking for bubbles?

Just a thought. I could be way off, but would love to see this resolved, given the time and effort you have put into it.

Service advisor just called....car good to go....I'll report back later, wish me luck.
I haven't done any vacuum tests. Typically I'll use carb or brake clean and spray it around and when the engine goofs up is where the leak can be found. Soap will just get sucked in when there's a vacuum leak, I thought.

But if I had a vac leak, I'd expect a code by now.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Exactly. That's just arrogance. Every tune needs to be revised to some degree for max/best performance.
If it pings, it needs to be revised. Depending on the car to retard all the time to save itself seems off to me. When it retards, it dumps power and it's like turbo lag a bit. Really not enjoyable. Rather have less power overall and a consistently smooth power band, if I'm honest.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I mean their arrogance is normal. After all they have plenty of test vehicles, degrees, and the original ford equipment used to create the factory tune. I don't understand the throttle body closing thing though, why wouldn't the original 80mm throttle body have it?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I mean their arrogance is normal. After all they have plenty of test vehicles, degrees, and the original ford equipment used to create the factory tune. I don't understand the throttle body closing thing though, why wouldn't the original 80mm throttle body have it?
I agree. They are in the best position to know about this. His answers didnt settle very well with me though.

As far as the TB closing, I thought it had to do with the stock set up being a closed system. The newer set up has an exposed filter element where gasses can escape if the TB were to remain open. Escaped gasses = emissions. Even though it is so small of an amount.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I agree. They are in the best position to know about this. His answers didnt settle very well with me though.

As far as the TB closing, I thought it had to do with the stock set up being a closed system. The newer set up has an exposed filter element where gasses can escape if the TB were to remain open. Escaped gasses = emissions. Even though it is so small of an amount.
I think the zl1 of last gen had an open intake, anyone know if those cars ping?
Sponsored