Sponsored

2.7L Ecoboost engine on Gen-7 Mustang EB?

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I'm in the minority I guess. Never wanted a Mustang until they released the Ecoboost.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
A limited run of 2.7 or 3.0 EcoBoost Mustangs with a power bump under the SVO name could be a decent gauge of interest.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
It will happen sooner than you think.

Ferrari, Lamborgini, etc. were all fancy exotic V12, are all now turbo 8's.

Porsche cut their engine size and went smaller turbo'd engines on ALL of their vehicles.
911 went from 3.8L NA, to 3.0L turbo. (ranges from 370hp to 450hp on same displacement over models)
Cayman/Boxster went from 6 cyl NA to 4 cyl turbo.

Raptor went from 6.2L V8 to 3.5L V6 turbo.

The list goes on.

If the Raptor did it, the Mustang will too.

Gen 7 may be 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl:
2.3L eco
3.5L eco for GT's
5.2L v8s for GT350/GT500s.
The Raptor does not have a v8 legacy like the Mustang. The change was also made because the 6.2 was going away and had to be changed anyway. The 3.5 make much better low end TQ which is a great perk for the Raptor.

The last time Ford tried to get rid of the v8 it was the Probe, and despite the fact the 2.2t Probe GT was only a couple 10th slower than a GT of the same year due to being lighter, more aerodynamic and better MPG. No one wanted a FWD, non v8 sports car. The 2nd gen was lighter, and (rumored) supposed to get the 200HP KLZE v6 but Ford didn't want to step on the Mustang anymore after the backlash of the first gen. They didn't want the Probe GT to be running similar times as the same year Mustang GT.

So they will be, or should be, thinking long and hard before they v8 is killed off. I suspect a larger EB engine will be introduced before the v8 is removed as a transition step.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, well when you have no other option, we'll see.
That is true. I realize Ford doesn't need me as a buyer. For instance, I never liked the 4.6 engine and didn't really like the body style of the cars that got the 4.6 either. I was still driving hot rodded 80s Fox Mustangs in 2011 when the Coyote came out and I started to consider buying something newer. Ford and the Mustang did fine during that period without me as a buyer.

I could easily spend the next 30 years in used vehicles. Not a problem for me. A lot of the people who buy sporty cars can also turn a wrench. Maybe Ford doesn't care about me, but I'm not alone in the demographic of people who will only buy a new car if they like it better than their used car.

I would like to think that if Ford comes out with another Mustang II, I won't buy one. I realize the Mustang II was a big success for Ford, and it's possible hybrid/electric/1 cylinder/whatever will also be a big success in sales. I'm just saying I'm not going to buy one.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I'm waiting for someone to do a 3.5 Ecoboost crate engine swap. If you started with a v6 car, it's a bolt-in :headbang:

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
With Ford adding a hybrid option for the Mustang I can't see them adding a fourth drivetrain. A hybrid 2.3 Ecoboost could easily make a combined 400hp so there's not much point fitting any other option in there.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
With Ford adding a hybrid option for the Mustang I can't see them adding a fourth drivetrain. A hybrid 2.3 Ecoboost could easily make a combined 400hp so there's not much point fitting any other option in there.
The fact I refuse to drive a hybrid is my reason.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Well Ford forced me into buying a V6 as no dealer in Canada would import a base V8. It was even listed on the dealer web pages that base V8 would only be a special order. I had 24 hours so I got the six. I did get a few minutes to drive my sisters car - Hyundai Elantra - and for the first time in my life drove a four cylinder car. I was amazed a four cylinder car could drive properly at all. I thought the ride would be choppy and the idle rocky as all hell. My dad’s Enclave was a six so I knew you could actually drive one but at under 4 litres I didn’t think the motor would last until my Mustang that was the first and only six I drove and still don’t trust them completely. Motors too small. All my Previous cars had been 5.0 Fords or 5.7 LT1 and that was bare minimum for me.

So I live with 3.7 and so far so good. I even like the exhaust especially when I remote start it walking up to it and the exhaust is full of vapour and a deeper growl. One thing I don’t miss it V8 rumble. Loud V8 rumble meant a new muffler that is all. :lol: I’m not dissing the 4 pot here but us old guys are used to every car having at least a small V8. Small as in 5.0. I want a 7.0 Mustang.

302s were always for a sissy and that has changed but only because you have no choice.

But I’ll have to do with this 6. I may just try a three cylinder for kicks and giggles someday. Turbo six may be on the way but anything less than 3.5 seems pointless to me. I do regularly drive a six to haul stuff at work. But that is a 7.3 litre turbocharged six with 330 horses - a couple more
than my Stang. Of course it has 950 pound feet of torque but we won’t go there!:D I could live with that in the Mustang...

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You know what, we could go lite on a turbo six with the Cummins X12. That’s over 11 litres but closer to the GT at 455 horsepower but one thousand seven hundred pound feet of torque. Imagine burnouts with that thing. And it’s light at over two thousand pounds some 600 pounds lighter than other engines. It could happen in the Stang. Just convert the trunk to a gas tank and build a torque cage around the body. 11.0 badging on the fenders and then stick Boss decals on it!!!

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
You know what, we could go lite on a turbo six with the Cummins X12. That’s over 11 litres but closer to the GT at 455 horsepower but one thousand seven hundred pound feet of torque. Imagine burnouts with that thing. And it’s light at over two thousand pounds some 600 pounds lighter than other engines. It could happen in the Stang. Just convert the trunk to a gas tank and build a torque cage around the body. 11.0 badging on the fenders and then stick Boss decals on it!!!
Nuts TQ. I love seeing what people are getting in the engine the Q50 has. Tune, down pipes and full exhaust, people will make like 440whp, and over 600ft-lbs. Shame the turbos are so tiny, the top end at red line is like 20whp change, but the TQ curve is crazy for a 3L v6. You wouldn't think to look at one they may have over 600wtq. The new Z car will be interesting if they shed weight and give it a well geared 6spd manual or a better auto than the 7spd Infiniti has now.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Nuts TQ. I love seeing what people are getting in the engine the Q50 has. Tune, down pipes and full exhaust, people will make like 440whp, and over 600ft-lbs. Shame the turbos are so tiny, the top end at red line is like 20whp change, but the TQ curve is crazy for a 3L v6. You wouldn't think to look at one they may have over 600wtq. The new Z car will be interesting if they shed weight and give it a well geared 6spd manual or a better auto than the 7spd Infiniti has now.

With the truck engines horsepower is low as redline is like 3000 rpm. In fact there is no “red line” on mine just 3000. Max torque is at 1000 rpm. This is what people really want. Give them max torque at 1000 and everything else is secondary. Maintenance is a bitch as the GT takes 10 litres of oil and the trucks can take like 35 litres and cost 350-400 bucks USD. :D

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
By the way guys, it’s the same for passenger cars. Check your rpms just driving around town and my guess is that is between 1200 and maybe a little over 2200rpms at best. This is where your maximum torque should me. Back in a locked thread I said all Mustangs were gutless wonders and now you know why. Trucks driving beside you have 1,750 pound feet of torque available literally from idle! That is what I call guts!

The Viper was supposed to me that. A peel out machine. Big truck motor in a small two seater. You were supposed to be idling talking to friends and then without the engine revving at all peel out leaving a big o’l long “mean patch” half a block long. That is what impresses. That is what the Viper owner wanted - but
the engineers had other ideas... :tsk:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
wheel torque huh? In what gear?
Sponsored