1st mods?

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
2017 Ecoboost - stock - 76000 miles - what inexpensive DIY mods can I do?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It usually works out better to choose what modifications you want to make, as opposed to 'making mods just to say I made a few mods'.

Wheels and tires, or at least tires would be a more productive direction here.

Norm

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
2017 Ecoboost - stock - 76000 miles - what inexpensive DIY mods can I do?
Did you just get the car or have you put all the miles on yourself? Seat time should start to show you things you may want to improve.

Want better audio? Sound system
Traction limited as-is? Tires
Want more power? Tune
Want a better sound from the car? Exhaust
Want to improve interior look? Stuff

You get the idea.
Identify your budget, goals for the car, and priorities for yourself.

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Did you just get the car or have you put all the miles on yourself? Seat time should start to show you things you may want to improve.

Want better audio? Sound system
Traction limited as-is? Tires
Want more power? Tune
Want a better sound from the car? Exhaust
Want to improve interior look? Stuff

You get the idea.
Identify your budget, goals for the car, and priorities for yourself.
I just got the car - already has the exhaust done - I can handle the exterior - I donā€™t know much about these newer turbo charged 4 cylinders ( Iā€™m a old school hot rodder) 310 hp wow thatā€™s almost as much as my ā€˜94 Vette lol. So Iā€™m curious about some easy simple stuff in the engine area.
thanks

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Stock intercooler heatsoaks really fast. Pair a bigger aftermarket intercooler with a tune. A tune gives these ecoboosts a ton more power and fun. With just those two things I think you'll be pretty blown away at the improvement.

Tune+ is a popular tuner with the ecoboosts. I had an Unleashed 91oct tune and it was great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Stock intercooler heatsoaks really fast. Pair a bigger aftermarket intercooler with a tune. A tune gives these ecoboosts a ton more power and fun. With just those two things I think you'll be pretty blown away at the improvement.

Tune+ is a popular tuner with the ecoboosts. I had an Unleashed 91oct tune and it was great.
Lol youā€™re going to have to talk in a language a 71 year old can understand - I speak ā€œflathead/ small block Chevy language - I have heard intercooler mention and tuning also, but Iā€™m these maybe over my head. Are these something I can trust my dealership to do for me?

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
An intercooler is like an air to air "radiator" for the intake charge air. It sits in front behind your lower grill. There are a few choices in aftermarket intercoolers that will fit the bill that are direct fit with no modifications required. Simply remove the old one, and put the new one in its place. Should be easy for any mechanic to do.

As for the tune, Ford Performance has one for the ecoboost. I think its in a "pack" that comes with an intake of sorts. It may be more expensive than getting a handheld tuner + a custom tune though.

2015-2017 MUSTANG 2.3L ECOBOOST PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION KIT| Part Details for M-9603-M4 | Ford Performance Parts

I would think it can be had for less than that though, as that seems a bit pricey to me.

And for an intercooler example. This is the one I had, though any of similar design should perform more than enough for basic boltons and a tune.

MAP Billet Intercooler Upgrade | 2015-2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost (EBM- (maperformance.com)

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Hood struts and jacking rails have been two of the 3 most useful mods I've done. The third is adding a bunch of LED strip lighting in the trunk. The trunk is really a black hole with the inadequate stock light.
I've not really done any performance mods. It's my first turbo car and I've been somewhat worried about longevity. I need it to last a good long while.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Welcome, youngster! I would suggest a shop that specializes in Ford performance mods. They are pretty common in most major cities. I don't think you want to play with a handheld tuner on your own. I know I don't.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Are these something I can trust my dealership to do for me?
Trust a dealership? You really are showing your age. :)
My first mod was the Steeda 35 lb clutch spring, the stock linkage is a bit numb.

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Trust a dealership? You really are showing your age. :)
My first mod was the Steeda 35 lb clutch spring, the stock linkage is a bit numb.
Thanks but mines a auto.
Sponsored