Sponsored

1st exhaust install help

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord Touring
I am going to install the Ford Racing by Borla Touring exhaust later today. I have no lift. I have watched the install video CJ's posted. My main question is what is the best method to install this with no lift. Jack up on 4 jack stands? Back onto ramps? This is my first exhaust install, but I am fairly handy. Any other pointers would be appreciated. :cheers:
Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
Do you have jack stands or ramps? Either will work fine. I would back up the Ramos and if needed raise the front with the jack stands.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Xantom

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have jack stands or ramps?
Yes I have both. My concern with ramps is scraping the front bumper, and the ramp would block side access to some degree. I have rhino ramps. My car is not lowered, yet, that's next weekend:)

cjm9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP in magnetic
I've used ramps *for the rear* with no issue and my car is lowered, but I did this on stands for more room to work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xantom

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
2 in the rear is fine, you won't need it any higher. Super easy job :)

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Rhino ramps in the rear on my PP worked fine. Little tight getting under it to the front clamps. Don't tighten down all of the clamps until you check the alignment of the tips in the rear. Had to play with the exhaust tubes a little to get them even.

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
I second. I have Rhino ramps and they worked fine; non-PP.

OctopusWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP & AP
I used ramps on the front, jack stands on the rear. Seems opposite of what everyone has done/recommended, but it worked great for me.
I can't imagine changing the exhaust out without the car being totally lifted; even with it completely off the ground, it's very tight under there.
And great recommendation on making sure the tips are aligned properly before dropping the car. I didn't, and had to lift the car all over again when I realized they were way off.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Front clamps are tight access with just the rear on ramps.

I don't think you'll be saving any work using ramps over jack stands, probably the opposite.

Sponsored

Screwdgie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT 6M
I did my Roush axle back on ramps, then added the X pipe on ramps then again swapped the mufflers for Ford touring on ramps and had no issues

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I used ramps on the front, jack stands on the rear. Seems opposite of what everyone has done/recommended, but it worked great for me.
I can't imagine changing the exhaust out without the car being totally lifted; even with it completely off the ground, it's very tight under there.
And great recommendation on making sure the tips are aligned properly before dropping the car. I didn't, and had to lift the car all over again when I realized they were way off.
Yep, did the same thing!

OP
OP
Xantom

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the input. I am not skinny so I will try to get it totally off the ground:)

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I used two jack stands, that's it. See picture. Plenty of space to work (well, not really but it was workable). Unless you're a Santa Clause-shaped, you'll be fine with two. Just PLEASE block off the front wheels securely so the car doesn't decide to take a trip with you under the car, aight?! BLOCK OFF THEM THERE FRONT WHEELS! And don't use a friggin' 2x6 like I did. Use real wheel blocks. My car didn't move but I don't want you getting hurt because you copied what I stupidly did, mmk! Word. Oh, and use better jack stands than the garbage Craftsman pieces of poop I have. It was scary under there with those...

Last edited:

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the input. I am not skinny so I will try to get it totally off the ground:)
I installed the same Borla system using your same Rhino Ramps up front and jack stands out back. The front is close but you should clear your ramps without issue.

Here is where I will shamelessly plug another piece of equipment - Steeda's lightweight jacking rails. I installed them AFTER doing my exhaust work but they have still come in handy (tire rotations, shifter install, and future rear suspension mods). You can jack up the entire side of the car at one location and then place your jack stands at each end of the rails and then repeat the process for the other side. This frees up the entire area under the car for you to work! If you even plan on being under your car again for any reason, they are worth the purchase!
Sponsored