Sponsored

1968 gt500 KR test.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Funny. I owned a 79 Pace Car and looking back now, it was one of my favorite vehicles...When the 82 GT was unveiled, it was the evolution of the pace car.
That was the beginning of the rebirth of performace Mustangs...and nearly 40 years later...here we are.
The '79 Pace Car was an eye opener that Mustang fans needed. They nailed the aesthetics as much as the car suffered from low power - thank God it was relatively light. And then to go to the 4.2L 255 and remove the 302 from the lineup for two years...what an utter dud that version of the smallblock was. So, yeah when they brought the 302 back in '82 is signified something was going to happen. I stared at this ad way to often.

Boss%20ia%20Back%20Tob-X3.jpg

Yes indeedy, one of my all-time favorite shows.
Sage advice, Tob and Jim's another icon that I miss.
Can't have "toxic masculinity" like Jim and his ilk anymore. And that is so ****ing sad.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Classic Lover

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
I watched some of that show a few years back. Fun and let’s just say very 1970s.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
That was a great video. Heh I know plenty of people wish the had a original 67 GT500 now ! Honestly owning a 68 myself, (non shelby of course) it's nice to see how these cars did back then, and how they can do today with all of parts and upgrades available now.

mjhpadi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350 Heritage Edition
Having owned a,68 GT-350, in those days even the 302 powered 350 would intimate most of the other muscle cars of the day. And I still think the 67-68 Shelby's were the sharpest looking 'Stanfs ever!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I had a '67 Cougar, 4 speed Top Loader, 289 4V, 9"...extended wheelbase but same suspension. Stock, they were awful. Years ago, about all I could do was stiffer leafs out back, stiffer coils up front, and thicker sway bars. Steering still sucked and brake options were limited. Fun ride but looking back they were pretty bad. Cougars morphed into cruise ships as did the Mustang just prior to the Pinto based, Mustang II. It just got worse and worse. I still remember getting excited in high school when the 1982 Mustang GT "The Boss is Back" ads came out, with a mind blowing 157hp. Can't believe that was almost 40 years ago now.

I never thought we'd be where we are in 2020.
Yes.

I still have the '67 Cougar (289, auto) I bought back in August of 1986. Mine is basically a 'Day 2' car, whereas I added much of the stuff you could buy over the counter back in the day to make your own TransAm series wannabe; dual-quad intake, Tri-Y headers, GT350R side exhaust, bigger Boss 302-spec front sway bar. Over-assisted steering and 4-wheel drums keep things interesting, to say the least. It's amazing how utterly terrible these cars are (it's fun to drive back to back with modern cars to experience the contrast), but I'll never sell this one. The best part is the reactions of others when I have it out and about, which is every nice weekend.

IMG_20181006_152042.jpg

kittyengine.jpg

Funny. I owned a 79 Pace Car and looking back now, it was one of my favorite vehicles.

The Recaro "checkerd" seats, Marchal fog lamps with covers, TRX wheels with metric tires, and pewter metalic paint (reminds me of iconic depending on the light), were special and exciting features at the time.

I had the 302 (not branded 5.0 yet), that boasted a jaw dropping 140 bhp / 250 tq with its rubber band 4 speed gear box. The turbo varient provided 131 bhp / 142 tq.

When the 82 GT was unveiled, it was the evolution of the pace car with the addition of the high output (H.O. 5.0) motor...providing a whopping 17 bhp over the pace cars' V8.

That was the beginning of the rebirth of performace Mustangs...and nearly 40 years later...here we are.

upload_2020-8-23_16-20-11.png
My '79 pace car is another I wish I would have kept. Mine had the turbo-4, and a Crane cam and a little wastegate fiddling had it surprising a few V8s. The memories....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Gorgeous Cougar! I still have some spare '67/'68 tail light assemblies and a tail light sequencer that I never got rid of.

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Gorgeous Cougar! I still have some spare '67/'68 tail light assemblies and a tail light sequencer that I never got rid of.
Agree...Cougars are a silent classic that had great styling and cool extras over and above the Mustang.

Aren't hose tail light assemblies Shelby spec as well?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Agree...Cougars are a silent classic that had great styling and cool extras over and above the Mustang.

Aren't hose tail light assemblies Shelby spec as well?
The '67-'68 Cougar taillight lenses were used on the '67 Shelbys less their chrome trim.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Man, that body roll and the awesome reverse spin. That should be a mandatory test these days!!

2018 Ford Mustang EcoBoost w/ Performance Pack
0-60 mph 5.1 Quarter mile 13.7

Not to mention the cornering and braking advantage today.

But man do they look good.
I've always said if money was no object, a '67 Mustang body on a modern Mustang with a 5.0 or Voodoo would be magic!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: