19 inch or 20 inch?

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Once again, I'd appreciate the thoughts and opinions of our knowledgeable members.

Ruby is a premium GT with the PP. Running FR touring cat backs, Steeda CAI w/out the restrictor, and a compatible Lund tune. She's getting lowered on Steeda's sport progressive springs in a few weeks,

I've dipped the front pony and all letters and emblems with Plast-Dip's anthracite color which is really just grey. Wanting more aggressive wheels in a grey, gun metal, or anthracite color to match.

Front runner now are Velgen's 20 inch VMB9s. Nine inch wide in the front, 10.5 inch in the rear.

Ruby is a daily driver. And while I'm likely to never track her, I do enjoy spirited but safe driving on the road and appreciate good handling and performance.

My thought is that any handling and performance that I might give up with 20 inch, versus 19 inch wheels, will be negligible for the kind of driving I do. And I like the appearance of 20s over 19s.

Thoughts from folks who race and/or track their cars, or who are otherwise knowledgeable about these things, appreciated.
Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Sub'd. Already have my eyes on a set of wheels at the moment, but just waiting on some final details Monday to determine when I can order them.

Leaning towards 20" myself since I love the way they look, but really curious to see what others will say.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I dont sell velgen wheels but ill help with the pro con of the sizes.

Most 19" fitments are being done for the performanxe aspect wider rubber less weight less rotational mass. Now guys with the ft pp some dont want to up the size to a 20" thats a personal choice and something you have to ultimately decide.

Since your not going super wide you have a good selection of tires.

20" is being done for a few reasons. it fills the fender well up, more selection in tires and wider tires up to a 315 rear. Most wheels come wider also, there is a big selection and more options that clear the gt pp.

Now in your case you have the desired wheels you just have to weigh in of your ok to invest more to also get new rubber for 20s or you can run 19s and use the original pzero you have now.

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
I dont sell velgen wheels but ill help with the pro con of the sizes.

Most 19" fitments are being done for the performanxe aspect wider rubber less weight less rotational mass. Now guys with the ft pp some dont want to up the size to a 20" thats a personal choice and something you have to ultimately decide.

Since your not going super wide you have a good selection of tires.

20" is being done for a few reasons. it fills the fender well up, more selection in tires and wider tires up to a 315 rear. Most wheels come wider also, there is a big selection and more options that clear the gt pp.

Now in your case you have the desired wheels you just have to weigh in of your ok to invest more to also get new rubber for 20s or you can run 19s and use the original pzero you have now.
Thanks for your input, Paul.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
while I don't race my car. I got velgens. I know there are plenty of guys that do race on 20's and velgen's that hypermotive and velgen both have posted cars of. Someone also asked this question month or 2 back too in which they both responded in but I can't find it to link it.

From what I gather from racing purpose but still having the looks, it isn't a deal breaker by any imagination.

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
while I don't race my car. I got velgens. I know there are plenty of guys that do race on 20's and velgen's that hypermotive and velgen both have posted cars of. Someone also asked this question month or 2 back too in which they both responded in but I can't find it to link it.

From what I gather from racing purpose but still having the looks, it isn't a deal breaker by any imagination.
Thanks, Khyber. Assuming one gives up a bit of performance, handling and maybe ride quality with 20s b/c the tires arent as "thick" as they would be on 19s, I'm thinking it's not that much of a difference.

I just don't want to spend money on 20" wheels and tires, only to find out I've decreased the above factors too much. Since so many members are going with 20s, I'm assuming there's not that much of a difference.
Sponsored