'19 GT stalling at idle

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Premium 401A Package with B&O Sound System
My stang is currently at the dealership service department getting it cam phasers replaced hopefully it solves the issues to my problems! But the thing is i never had any stalling issues when reversing like yours. I heard mustangs cost a lot more money overseas is that true? Hope they find your issue soon.

You are right, mine is premium with the A401 package (not PP and does not have the magnetic suspension), has the active exhaust, black accent package, safe and smart package, B&O sound system and the mini spare tire in trunk, it cost me $55k, in the US it will cost $49k, keep in mind the transportation, 5 years warranty and 3 years free service including every thing (even the brake pads, ...), we just have to do tires and add fuel, which is very cheap here.

Please keep as updated when you receive your car, hope yours will be fixed, good luck.

Fahad
Sponsored

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My stang is currently at the dealership service department getting it cam phasers replaced
Damn; wasn't expecting to read this about a 2019. When you have a chance, can you post your car's build date (on the white label on door sill), and your engine build date (on a sticker deep on the driver's side engine valve cover). There's a TSB about the cam chain tensioners on car build dates before April 22nd, 2019, I believe. But your issue wasn't that. I asked about the engine, because my car was built on Aug 09, 2019, and the engine on May 28, 2019. That's a ton of time when everything is built 'just in time'. Good luck.

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I had the same problems. 2019 GT Premium with 34,500 miles. I got kind of lucky and the last time it happened the CEL came on. I took it to the Ford Dealer the next day (2 days ago Wednesday). They said they could look at it on Friday. I asked them to have a tech at least look at the codes to ensure it was safe to drive. (I already knew it was cam timing codes) I sat in the waiting area for 5 minutes before the service rep came out and told me I was getting a rental car. Got a call today that they where going to replace the phasers and the tech noticed one plug was fouled out. They bore scoped the cylinder and it was scared. So Now I'm getting a new motor. I expected to get new phasers but not a new motor. I'm very happy my local ford dealer is actually competent.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They bore scoped the cylinder and it was scared.
Hey, how did you manage to get a cylinder scared? It's not halloween yet. Ha ha. J/K man. Seriously, that's BAD. Would you mind giving us more details of your engine history? First of all, what's the build date on your car? Prior to 04/22/19, there's a TSB for the cam chain tensioners, but nothing about the phasers that I know of. And did you buy the car new? Any track use? As another 2019 owner, just want to know more details. Hopefully you're getting a long block, and not a short one. It's a major job, so hope your car comes out as it went in, but just with a new engine. Check your interior carefully for scuffs, scrapes, etc. Good luck man.

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Hey, how did you manage to get a cylinder scared? It's not halloween yet. Ha ha. J/K man. Seriously, that's BAD. Would you mind giving us more details of your engine history? First of all, what's the build date on your car?
Sorry it's a new car to me. I just purchased it somewhere in July. It was a rental car out of California that had 32K on the odo when I purchased it. I figured since it was a rental it had been rode hard and put away wet/dirty enough to ensure the power train was in good shape. I can say I don't drive like a grandma the majority of time. I have ZERO problems redlining it at times as it was designed to be able to see bursts of 7500 RPM.

As for the build date I can't tell you until I receive the car back from the dealer. It got a short block (which sucks but it better than nothing. I used to work at a dealer and I'm sure the tech went short block to really sop up some gravy warranty work). I don't plan to baby a new engine either. Every race car (only 4 btw) I've built I've always flogged the piss out of after a 20 high idle break in with no issues. Being this isn't a race car and just a DD street car I don't see it having any adverse issues. I'm rambling. They have had to order more parts (unsure what but I'll find out when I get it back) so I should have it back tomorrow or the next day, or two weeks after they first received it. I'll try and update what all was done.

As far as ensuring the tech's do a good job with your interior on a repair no dealer in the nation should have greasy paw prints left behind along with any interior damage coming from a repair. If that happens and they won't take responsibility for it you just call the OEM regional offices and inform them. This should get that dealer to not only fix it but go an extra 5 miles. First time fix rate along with not damaging customer cars are pretty key metrics that greatly effect that dealers bonus for number of new cars sold. That is unless things have changed. I've not worked at a dealer since 2005.

Sponsored

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
I had the same problems. 2019 GT Premium with 34,500 miles. I got kind of lucky and the last time it happened the CEL came on. I took it to the Ford Dealer the next day (2 days ago Wednesday). They said they could look at it on Friday. I asked them to have a tech at least look at the codes to ensure it was safe to drive. (I already knew it was cam timing codes) I sat in the waiting area for 5 minutes before the service rep came out and told me I was getting a rental car. Got a call today that they where going to replace the phasers and the tech noticed one plug was fouled out. They bore scoped the cylinder and it was scared. So Now I'm getting a new motor. I expected to get new phasers but not a new motor. I'm very happy my local ford dealer is actually competent.

Hi,

Did the dealer tell you what was the reason for the scared cylinder? is it lack of oil or is it related to the phasers issue, mine is stalling as well and when I did the bores coping at the dealer, I saw scars on the cylinder walls but the dealer answer was (this is normal scars).

The issue here in my country that I'm stuck with only one dealer.

Please let us know what was the cause of you cylinder damage.

Regards

Fahad

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
no scaring of the cylinder walls is normal. And even more so on this 3rd Gen Coyote as it's cylinder walls are harder than most. Mine was caused by fuel washing down the cylinder walls caused by the misfire. It's probably not the end of the world. If the compression on that cylinder is with in 10% of the others it's really a none issue. What may look like a scar could be just a rub and not even effect anything.

I did get my car back and it runs a lot better but it still will run rough at idle once it's warmed up. I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer for that. I had come down with COVID so I've just today been able to get back out and enjoy my car.

fahadco80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fahad
Vehicle(s)
replacing the fuel rail pressure sensor on the lower fuel rail seems to have fixed it. involved process...was without the car for a while...took a lot of troubleshooting.

Hi,

Are you still good, did this idling and stalling issues come back?

My dealer changed the VCT, injectors, TB and EVAP surge, the only thing that fixed is my engine noise when slightly revving (grinding noise) and I think the gas milage is a bet better. Car still has rough idling from time to time.

Please let us know.

Regards

Fahad

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Ok, I will chime in here. The voltage swings are from the battery mgt system. I unplugged mine and get 14.3-14.6 volts consistently. Been running it that way with zero issues for 1.5 years. 18 GT a10.

I had my intake cam phasers replaced @ 4600 miles (now at 12k miles). My tuner also bumped my idle to 750 rpms. I still get the occasional rough idle, but it never dies anymore like pre new cam phasers. My car has been run on E85 tune 98% of it’s life. fyi.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Ok, I will chime in here. The voltage swings are from the battery mgt system. I unplugged mine and get 14.3-14.6 volts consistently. Been running it that way with zero issues for 1.5 years. 18 GT a10.

I had my intake cam phasers replaced @ 4600 miles (now at 12k miles). My tuner also bumped my idle to 750 rpms. I still get the occasional rough idle, but it never dies anymore like pre new cam phasers. My car has been run on E85 tune 98% of it’s life. fyi.
I also got my intake cam phasers replaced an in a month i stalled again! Took it in again to ford and they updated my roush tune I’ve had the car back for a little less than a month so far no issues i feel like sometimes the car wants to idle roughly just a little bit

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I also got my intake cam phasers replaced an in a month i stalled again! Took it in again to ford and they updated my roush tune I’ve had the car back for a little less than a month so far no issues i feel like sometimes the car wants to idle roughly just a little bit
Have them raise your idle rpm up 100 or so.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
After a month and a few weeks of getting my car back it stalled again has anyone dealership been able to solve this problem?

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
After a month and a few weeks of getting my car back it stalled again has anyone dealership been able to solve this problem?
Evap purge valve and low fuel pressure sensor on fuel rail have been fixes for some. Mine died sitting in parking lot about 2 weeks ago...