Sponsored

18 oil pan gasket replacement

SlowJunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT
I searched quite a bit over the past year regarding supporting the engine and dropping the subframe to remove the oil pan and change the gasket. I really wanted to avoid this if at all possible and was successful in changing the gasket without the above mentioned procedure. This is more of an fyi for anyone looking to do an oil pan gasket replacement. Car is a 2018 GT.

When I installed my Whipple I changed out the opg and css. I reused the oil pan gasket as I only had 7k miles on the car. I did scrape off the old trv and replaced it with new Ford spec rtv in the 4 places needed. Somehow when attaching the oil pan back I rolled a small portion of the gasket which resulted in a very minor oil leak. I finally got around to replacing it last month, fully expecting to have to follow the Ford procedure but thought I would try to do it the easy way first. Ended up being much less involved than I thought it would be. When you remove all of the oil pan bolts you can drop the pan enough to snake the old gasket out and snake the new one in without dropping the subframe. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be either.

Hope this helps anyone with the same question I pondered for about a year.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I searched quite a bit over the past year regarding supporting the engine and dropping the subframe to remove the oil pan and change the gasket. I really wanted to avoid this if at all possible and was successful in changing the gasket without the above mentioned procedure. This is more of an fyi for anyone looking to do an oil pan gasket replacement. Car is a 2018 GT.

When I installed my Whipple I changed out the opg and css. I reused the oil pan gasket as I only had 7k miles on the car. I did scrape off the old trv and replaced it with new Ford spec rtv in the 4 places needed. Somehow when attaching the oil pan back I rolled a small portion of the gasket which resulted in a very minor oil leak. I finally got around to replacing it last month, fully expecting to have to follow the Ford procedure but thought I would try to do it the easy way first. Ended up being much less involved than I thought it would be. When you remove all of the oil pan bolts you can drop the pan enough to snake the old gasket out and snake the new one in without dropping the subframe. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be either.

Hope this helps anyone with the same question I pondered for about a year.
Glad to hear that it’s possible to change the oil pan gasket without a subframe drop…. Thanks for posting that info!