18+ GT Performance Pack Update

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
New Year, so latest update on 18+ GT FRPP Performance Pac update. They say NLT 1 Apr, no joke! Latest change was to airbox. Looks like a GT350/Bullit style with cover. We'll see!
Sponsored

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
Does the FRPP tune retain factory warranty? Extended warranty?

OP
OP
Cobrakit

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
There is a warranty disclaimer, but with any warranty claim, its up to the dealer. I installed a Ford supercharger and tune on my 2013 Mustang and the dealer worked with and did two warranty issues. One was a random misfire which was associated with a TSB and the other was to replace the cats because i kept throwing codes. Never figured out if the cats had been damaged or not.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Does the FRPP tune retain factory warranty? Extended warranty?
You get a specific warranty from FRPP for the duration of your initial 3/36. So you go to FRPP instead of Ford for any warranty work to any parts that are related to the tune that would otherwise get denied by Ford.

It's a bit weird since Ford and FRPP are technically under the same company, but they are separate entities doing their own business. There's even a bulletin to Ford dealers that there's a specific process to be followed for warranty work on FRPP tuned cars.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You get a specific warranty from FRPP for the duration of your initial 3/36. So you go to FRPP instead of Ford for any warranty work to any parts that are related to the tune that would otherwise get denied by Ford.

It's a bit weird since Ford and FRPP are technically under the same company, but they are separate entities doing their own business. There's even a bulletin to Ford dealers that there's a specific process to be followed for warranty work on FRPP tuned cars.
So it sounds like the FRPP Warranty does not cover the drive train for the 5/60 that Ford does correct?

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
So it sounds like the FRPP Warranty does not cover the drive train for the 5/60 that Ford does correct?
No, they only offer a 3/36 warranty and starts the day the car was first purchased. So if you buy and install this tune to your car say a year after, you only really get 2 year or so of warranty. After that point, you're back to using the orignal 5/60 powertrain warranty which may or may work if they determine the tune was the cause.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
No, they only offer a 3/36 warranty and starts the day the car was first purchased. So if you buy and install this tune to your car say a year after, you only really get 2 year or so of warranty. After that point, you're back to using the orignal 5/60 powertrain warranty which may or may work if they determine the tune was the cause.
So since my 2018 is now 2 years into its 3, there is only a 1 year warranty left from the FRPP and I'd lose the 5/60 anyways?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
So since my 2018 is now 2 years into its 3, there is only a 1 year warranty left from the FRPP and I'd lose the 5/60 anyways?
Yes to the first part, but no you don't lose the 5/60. No tune will ever completely void your existing warranty, at worst you may have warranty claims denied if they can prove the tune was the cause.

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
If this thing never comes out I’m just gonna say screw it and get the supercharger.

Sponsored

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
My Focus ST ran 30k tuned miles then the engine detonated hence why I would like a warranty.

If this thing never comes out I’m just gonna say screw it and get the supercharger.
That is my plan too.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I believe you are correct. However you won’t officially lose the 5/60 drive train warranty, but you are at risk of ford denying a claim. To me that pretty much means any fairly critical mechanical issue would most likely be denied(especially anything wrong with the engine itself.. and maybe trans, etc because the engine is putting out more power)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I believe you are correct. However you won’t officially lose the 5/60 drive train warranty, but you are at risk of ford denying a claim. To me that pretty much means any fairly critical mechanical issue would most likely be denied(especially anything wrong with the engine itself.. and maybe trans, etc because the engine is putting out more power)
To be fair, and to clarify, it seems that Ford will be more *lenient* towards cars that have the FP tunes compared to other 3rd party or unknown tunes. I've spoken to a few dealerships and even called the Ford Warranty hotline and they said that if you need major warranty work but you have proof of the FP tune and it being installed by an SAE mechanic then you should not have any issues with getting claims through. Now if they can't verify what tune is on there, then they will go through all means possible to deny the claim and they have pretty stringent bulletins on this procedure.

Take that for what it's worth though, it's still no 100% that even with an affiliated program like FP you won't have any issues with warranty claims. But personally I feel much better knowing the tune is somewhat known to Ford vs. aftermarket tuners.

OP
OP
Cobrakit

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
I agree! And after re-ready FRPP warranty, its unclear if they would cover an engine repair or emmission system repair if you had their tune installed. There are several comments made about fuel, racing, etc. All conditional. Again first line of defense is to go to your dealer and see what they will do. Definetly more likely with FRPP tune, then aftermarket tune. Luckly i have established a good relationship with the service manager and he is reasonable. With both my issues they never went to FRPP, they covered under basic car warranty. Yes i know i was luckly. He did tell me not to come back though, ha, ha!

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm honestly curious more than anything at this point. From my understanding, it is going to be a TB, CAI, and a tune. The TB is what has me interested the most. Lots of folks say the stock intake is fine and not worth upgrading to an aftermarket CAI (Lethal proved this with their Goldmember project) so I'm not as interested in the CAI. The tune is also something I'm curious about because according to FPR, the guy who did the tune is quite proud of it. I interpret that to be something that isn't a copy from the Bullet.

So again, I'm more curious than interested at this point.
Sponsored