SoFloEco

5 Liters of Love!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime HPP Ecoboost Mustang
While waiting for Ford Performance to release their version(s), I found on their web site that Roush has released versions 1 and 2 of a their 'Performance Packs' (intake and warrantied tune) for the '18+ Mustang GTs. Link here. Long story short: 24 WHP, 18 ft-lbs tq increase. No dyno graph for the PP1 - a graph for the PP 2 version showing a pretty health increase in low end torque. Check it out. Still waiting for the Ford Performance PPs for comparison.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Seems to be just so so and calibrated for 91 octane only.

Would like to see a 93 octane and E85...but they will never do E85 and give a warranty.

codesx100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I agree, i would wait till ford's comes out which they are going to be showing/announcing at SEMA apparently

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Seems to be just so so and calibrated for 91 octane only.

Would like to see a 93 octane and E85...but they will never do E85 and give a warranty.
I think they do 91, since many places sell crap 93 octane and they don't want to chance advancing the timing to a point where some bad 93 does a little bit of damage. 91 is a safer happy medium since its with a warranty.

I had to hit 6 different stations in my area before I found a legit 93 gas station, Went through 4 BP's, 1 Shell, 1 Sunoco, One of the BP's had legit good 93, and it also happened to be nearly 70 cents more a gallon than the other 5 gas stations.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Does it affect the transmission? they dont list any transmission changes

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoFloEco

SoFloEco

5 Liters of Love!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime HPP Ecoboost Mustang
Hmmm... not sure. I remember Ford's PPs stated that for automatics, there was a revised calibration for quicker, firmer shifts. Saw nothing in the Roush offerings about shifting.

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
I think they do 91, since many places sell crap 93 octane and they don't want to chance advancing the timing to a point where some bad 93 does a little bit of damage. 91 is a safer happy medium since its with a warranty.

I had to hit 6 different stations in my area before I found a legit 93 gas station, Went through 4 BP's, 1 Shell, 1 Sunoco, One of the BP's had legit good 93, and it also happened to be nearly 70 cents more a gallon than the other 5 gas stations.

How did you determine the gas station with the best 93 octane? Car just felt better with that gas?

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
How did you determine the gas station with the best 93 octane? Car just felt better with that gas?
Datalogged each tank fill up and watched knock sensors when at WOT with the tune loaded. 1 bad tank had me hit 3 degree knock retard. Some knock at partial throttle I think is somewhat normal, but any at WOT is a no go.

Reactions: tal

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
Datalogged each tank fill up and watched knock sensors when at WOT with the tune loaded. 1 bad tank had me hit 3 degree knock retard. Some knock at partial throttle I think is somewhat normal, but any at WOT is a no go.
Thanks!

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I get 2 degrees at full throttle every time, no matter what gas. Ive tried shell v power 93 and mobil 93

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It's not likely that these stations had 91oct listed as 93. Remember, the listed number is 93min, so it is more likely that you just found a place that had a batch of >93. The gas companies all pull from the same pipeline, and the base is what it is. There would be some serious fines if multiple stations were selling 91 as 93, and would be even less likely if you lived in a place like my area where 91 is rare.
Your tune must be on the edge for 93 if it is pulling timing due to knock. My PBD 93 tune had basically no knock and didn't pull any timing no matter where I filled up.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Hi
It's not likely that these stations had 91oct listed as 93. Remember, the listed number is 93min, so it is more likely that you just found a place that had a batch of >93. The gas companies all pull from the same pipeline, and the base is what it is. There would be some serious fines if multiple stations were selling 91 as 93, and would be even less likely if you lived in a place like my area where 91 is rare.
Your tune must be on the edge for 93 if it is pulling timing due to knock. My PBD 93 tune had basically no knock and didn't pull any timing no matter where I filled up.
Not so sure of that, also have the PBD 93 tune. I met a tanker driver one night at a station that sells cam 2. He said quality varies between stations regardless of brand, it's up to the station owner to decide quality of gas being brought in meaning all 93 octanes aren't the same. I dont think all these stations had bad batches of gas, each time had to add a few gallons of cam 2 100 octane to get it right, until I found a station about 7 miles from me that had good 93. How much spark advance you getting at WOT?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I had a similar scenario when data logging flex fuel in my area (AZ doesn't have real e85 or 93 oct). There was one specific station i learned to avoid as I would detect knock at WOT consistently but only with their blend. Unfortunately was also the most convenient one for now. However once running a blend from a different location all the way through knock at WOT was gone and full timing returned.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Hi

Not so sure of that, also have the PBD 93 tune. I met a tanker driver one night at a station that sells cam 2. He said quality varies between stations regardless of brand, it's up to the station owner to decide quality of gas being brought in meaning all 93 octanes aren't the same. I dont think all these stations had bad batches of gas, each time had to add a few gallons of cam 2 100 octane to get it right, until I found a station about 7 miles from me that had good 93. How much spark advance you getting at WOT?
Don't believe tanker drivers. All they do is pick up the fuel from the tank farm, and it is up to the tank farm (distribution center) to additize and supply the fuel at a certain octane level (basically they shouldn't be distributing 91 as 93). Octane level isn't a quality thing, and is tested at a refinery level. The tank farms all pull from a common pipeline, and they have no idea who refined the fuel. Your fuel all comes from the Colonial pipeline, and the base is the same as what I get here in Charleston. It is all refined by multiple Gulf coast refineries. The only control the distribution centers have over anything quality related, is what additives end up in the product heading to the gas station. This used to be my industry. The only thing a gas station is responsible for, is maintaining tanks and pumps. We used to test hundreds of samples pulled across the country every year. It was rare that we found a fuel not hitting the octane rating advertised with 87 or 93. Mid grade can be questionable, only if they don't keep up with pump metering, as that is a blend of 87 and 93 at the pump.

My PBD 93 tune runs about 24-25 deg adv at WOT through most of the higher RPM range. It starts lower, works up to 25 at 3900rpm, then starts to back off some from 5730rpm, and finishes to 7500rpm at 21.5. I don't ever have a positive knock count in that. This was before optimization. I haven't logged lately, but I have been running E85.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I had a similar scenario when data logging flex fuel in my area (AZ doesn't have real e85 or 93 oct). There was one specific station i learned to avoid as I would detect knock at WOT consistently but only with their blend. Unfortunately was also the most convenient one for now. However once running a blend from a different location all the way through knock at WOT was gone and full timing returned.
Flex fuel is very different than 91 or 93 octane fuel. E85 doesn't list an octane rating or specific ethanol content. Basically, they are only required to guarantee the base fuel is no more than 85% EtOH. That allows a lot of variation in different locations. The ethanol portion is blended at the distribution station.
Sponsored