18-19 oil dipstick

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Anybody got any tricks for getting that miserable 18-19 5.0 dipstick back in the engine. I feel like I’m trying to thread a piece of spaghetti through a soda straw. The plastic tube is so tight and the dipstick so flimsy, that I have to grab the stick just above the tube and push it in an inch at a time to try to keep it from sticking and bending. Not fun when the dipstick is too hot to handle. How do you guys approach this?

Only thing that can offer some relief is checking the oil cold, but Ford says hot after sitting 15 minutes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I have yet to find an easy way. I have to grab the dipstick midpoint to get mine to go in. Otherwise it will fold in half. With a rag of course. Not barehanded.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was wondering if the "uncooperative" dipstick was normal. Is it going through some kind of kink or tight bend in the motor? I was kinda worried that I was somehow getting it in the wrong hole.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
That's what she said

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yeah, with PP1 it is a little tight. Unfortunately have to use 2 hands and thread it down.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
2015 GT PP here, the brace does get in the way. I've found that placing the dip stick under the brace, slide towards the tube and put a slight bend near the bottom as you roll it in and it slides in pretty easily. After you get it once you'll say damn this really isn't that bad, good luck! Helps with the engine cover removed, I think it looks better without it personally.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
When you are on the left side of the car put it back at the left of the brace. You have to use the right hand on the right side to guide it to the hole

Sponsored

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Anybody got any tricks for getting that miserable 18-19 5.0 dipstick back in the engine. I feel like I’m trying to thread a piece of spaghetti through a soda straw. The plastic tube is so tight and the dipstick so flimsy, that I have to grab the stick just above the tube and push it in an inch at a time to try to keep it from sticking and bending. Not fun when the dipstick is too hot to handle. How do you guys approach this?

Only thing that can offer some relief is checking the oil cold, but Ford says hot after sitting 15 minutes.
The "trick" I use to get the dipstick back in easily.... I support it in the middle with a paper towel or rag and keep VERY LIGHT pressure on the handle as I put the dipstick in. The stick will want to twist as you insert it. If you resist that twisting motion at all, the dipstick will immediately bend.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Holy cow, some of these references could be construed to something more suggestive :cwl:

The "trick" I use to get the dipstick back in easily.... I support it in the middle with a paper towel or rag and keep VERY LIGHT pressure on the handle as I put the dipstick in. The stick will want to twist as you insert it. If you resist that twisting motion at all, the dipstick will immediately bend.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
And, add the brace on a PP car and it makes it even worse. Not sure what they were thinking (or not) on that one.

Did they actually make this worse on the 2018+ cars?

They should fire the guy who came up with the right under the strut tower brace location.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Did they actually make this worse on the 2018+ cars?

They should fire the guy who came up with the right under the strut tower brace location.
Even though the 18 location is further under the brace than the 15 I find it easier to use for some reason. Both are easier to find and replace than the dipstick in my old Lotus Europa Twin Cam where it was hidden under the carbs and manifold and needed checking frequently.
Sponsored