Sponsored

12v Power Accessory in Console (always on?)

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I checked with Manuel, but could not locate anything.

Does anyone know the operation of the 12v supply in the console? Is it supposed to always have power supplied to it, or is it supposed to cutoff within a certain time frame? Pretty sure the dash supply does.

If so, is there a way to have it always cut power when the vehicle is off?

For example, I used to have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler that had a supply in the back that had an option in the fuse box to set it always on or off with ignition off. Depended on position of the fuse.

I ask because I am using dashcams for the front and rear utilizing the dash and console supplies (may eventually hardwire), and they would not turn off for over an hour after taking a drive this afternoon. Then as soon as I opened the driver door to unplug them (over an hour later), they turned off. LOL. I was like WTF?

Insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
I asked the shop foreman at my dealership about the exact same thing. He explained that Ford has engineered the accessory power to be dependant on battery charge level. You'll notice that after the battery has been topped up for a while, it'll stay powered on for hours. If the battery is below a certain level it cuts the power to accessories immediately after the car has been turned off.

OP
OP
Flimflamman

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I asked the shop foreman at my dealership about the exact same thing. He explained that Ford has engineered the accessory power to be dependant on battery charge level. You'll notice that after the battery has been topped up for a while, it'll stay powered on for hours. If the battery is below a certain level it cuts the power to accessories immediately after the car has been turned off.
Thanks. This makes sense with what I have observed.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I used to have my radar detector plugged into that 12-volt accessory. It would be on when I got out of the car, but always off in the morning. I don't really remember actually checking to see how long it would stay on after turning off the car. I now have it wired into the mirror.

OP
OP
Flimflamman

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have my radar detector plugged into that 12-volt accessory. It would be on when I got out of the car, but always off in the morning. I don't really remember actually checking to see how long it would stay on after turning off the car. I now have it wired into the mirror.
It will stay on for a surprising amount of time. lol

As long as it doesn't kill the battery I guess I won't worry about it.

Sponsored

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Just the info I was looking for, but disappointed with the result. I have a dash cam that I use all the time and a radar detector for road trips. I needed an adaptor to power and switch off these two things. I found one, and you can switch on/off the hardware yet the adaptor stays on and lit! I'm sending it back. Or maybe find a quality stereo shop that can rewire the cig lighter to only have power when the car is on. Hmmm...

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I might be wrong but I seem to remember reading something about a Forscan setting that determines how long the 12V power ports stay on. Might want to check the Forscan thread and look at the As-Built value spreadsheets that are out there.

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
I might be wrong but I seem to remember reading something about a Forscan setting that determines how long the 12V power ports stay on. Might want to check the Forscan thread and look at the As-Built value spreadsheets that are out there.
I'd thought about that. I'll look into that thread and what hardware I need to actually change the settings. Thanks!

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
This is the tool I have, but others work too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used this tool to successfully turn off the headunit equalization, so I know it works. You will also need to purchase a Forscan license to make any changes. The unlicensed version of Forscan allows you to see everything but you can't make changes. A 1-year license is like $20. I bought a 3-year license for $30, I think. Worth every penny.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You can make all the changes you want with FORScan without having to pay anything. The only drawback is that you have to renew the temporary license every 2 months, but it's not a big deal to most of us, since it takes maybe 5 minutes to do... and that's because we don't remember exactly how to do it after 2 months. Ha ha.

Sponsored

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I didn't have to buy Forscan to make changes. The free trial allowed it.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I didn't have to buy Forscan to make changes. The free trial allowed it.
That is strange. About 2 weeks ago, I downloaded the latest Forscan and installed it on my laptop. Connected via the OBD USB adapter and Forscan saw everything. When I tried to make the change for the HU EQ, I got a popup in Forscan saying "Modifications to vehicle not permitted with Forscan free version. Please purchase license." Or words to that effect. I tried several times and got the same error. I purchased a license key online (they take PayPal) and immediately had the key in my email. Put in the key, Forscan authenticated it online and boom, I could make changes.

This was the one and only time I've ever used Forscan to make any changes so my experience might be different than others...I'm only reporting exactly what my own experience has been so far.

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
That is strange. About 2 weeks ago, I downloaded the latest Forscan and installed it on my laptop. Connected via the OBD USB adapter and Forscan saw everything. When I tried to make the change for the HU EQ, I got a popup in Forscan saying "Modifications to vehicle not permitted with Forscan free version. Please purchase license." Or words to that effect. I tried several times and got the same error. I purchased a license key online (they take PayPal) and immediately had the key in my email. Put in the key, Forscan authenticated it online and boom, I could make changes.

This was the one and only time I've ever used Forscan to make any changes so my experience might be different than others...I'm only reporting exactly what my own experience has been so far.
Yeah you have to link your hardware ID and request a trial code that lasts for 2 months. Nothing wrong with supporting them by purchasing it, though!

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
You know, I had a feeling I was forgetting something! DOH! :facepalm:

But yes, now I'm actually supporting them....I did my part, LOL! Thanks for posting about the trial code; that will help the OP. :) I actually bought a 3-year code. Now I have to change a bunch of stuff and get my money's worth!

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
You can make all the changes you want with FORScan without having to pay anything. The only drawback is that you have to renew the temporary license every 2 months, but it's not a big deal to most of us, since it takes maybe 5 minutes to do... and that's because we don't remember exactly how to do it after 2 months. Ha ha.
That's the attitude that will make the Forscan-people want to continue spending - if everyone were like you - free time on the program you use/used. Ha Ha.

PS. The purpose of a temporary license is to let people try a program to see if the program is something they will use, and if so, buy the program. It's not so some people can keep faking a new temporary license forever in order to use the program for free.
Sponsored