Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Yes I did.
If someone doesn’t know how to do it themselves it’s a very expensive install. Over $2000 parts and labor. If they did fail new short block is only $1700. I have built a few of these engines and never because of ops/cs. I would definitely take that minimal risk
Sponsored

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
If someone doesn’t know how to do it themselves it’s a very expensive install. Over $2000 parts and labor. If they did fail new short block is only $1700. I have built a few of these engines and never because of ops/cs. I would definitely take that minimal risk
and labor to change an engine? Also most people aren’t going to piece together some random $1700 short block, they will buy one from someone reputable or Ford directly. Also my opg install labor was only $700 you can get the gears for $200 on sale. And honestly if I were to do it again I would probably do it myself the timing was the only thing I wasn’t sure of doing.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If 700 rear is your goal, the best value to get there is probably the P-1. It's the easiest installation and the easiest to remove and return to stock if you want to do that.

I personally would do OPG, just for insurance.

If you're not going to "track" the car and you stay on radials, I wouldn't think you NEED axle upgrades, as the car will spin more than bite and strain the drivetrain.

You should be able to get 700 rear and do OPG's very easily for well under $11k. On pump gas you probably wouldn't even need to mess with the fuel system other than the injectors which you can get with the kit.

If you have a shop you trust, you can go with an on3 turbo setup which is considerably cheaper than the Procharger but the installation is more complex and will cost you more, so you'll end up a little cheaper in the end. The on3 would give you way more room to grow if you decide to go more wild later. But if 700 on pump is your goal, there's nothing more simple than an entry P-1 kit.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
and labor to change an engine? Also most people aren’t going to piece together some random $1700 short block, they will buy one from someone reputable or Ford directly. Also my opg install labor was only $700 you can get the gears for $200 on sale. And honestly if I were to do it again I would probably do it myself the timing was the only thing I wasn’t sure of doing.
A short block from ford is $1,795

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you can do the work then definitely do opg’s. But a shop will charge $400 For parts. If you are going to be that far in the engine you should upgrade chains, tensioners also. I know you didn’t do all that for $200 parts and $700 labor. Most shops will not let you bring in your own parts for install. Can’t warranty a part if you don’t now where it’s from. all shops charge a% on parts. A shop will charge around 8-10 hours or more labor. A good shop is $150hr. A common mom & pop shop about $100hr. 90% of people can not install themselves. So at those price’s and the fact that less than 1% of modified coyote opg’s fail I would not worry about it on a 700hp Street car

Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
If you can do the work then definitely do opg’s. But a shop will charge $400 For parts. If you are going to be that far in the engine you should upgrade chains, tensioners also. I know you didn’t do all that for $200 parts and $700 labor. Most shops will not let you bring in your own parts for install. Can’t warranty a part if you don’t now where it’s from. all shops charge a% on parts. A shop will charge around 8-10 hours or more labor. A good shop is $150hr. A common mom & pop shop about $100hr. 90% of people can not install themselves. So at those price’s and the fact that less than 1% of modified coyote opg’s fail I would not worry about it on a 700hp Street car
damn. I go to the dealer and get $90/hr. Installed my supercharger for $900.

OP
OP
DmanDmythDlegend

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Fricking hell, called to reputable shops in my area and the installation costs were insane. One was 3500 for whipple and opg and the other was 3000 for same. Am i wrong or are these super high?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Fricking hell, called to reputable shops in my area and the installation costs were insane. One was 3500 for whipple and opg and the other was 3000 for same. Am i wrong or are these super high?
All the more reason to spend a few $hundred in tools and do the learning/research to do it yourself. It's not that difficult. Most everything now has multiple step by step vids online.

I can tell you this though, one thing that's often ignored and never talked about in build costs is all the "consumables." Ford Engineers are jerks (like most of them nowadays) and they don't really do stuff that makes sense from a maintenance standpoint (in fact I think they do it on purpose). They use a lot of torque to yield one time use bolts that have to be replaced.

So just doing an OPG swap, you're gonna spend money on fluids (motorcraft orange, oil change, filter), gaskets, new fasteners (balancer bolt, and if you want to upgrade anything to ARP like the oil pump fasteners, etc.

In the end, once you buy the proper tools (like a balancer puller, digital torque wrenches (big and small) or just use a big one with more error for the little fasteners that need inch-lbs), crank socket, etc, etc, you'll come out way ahead of those quotes, you'll keep the tools and you'll know a lot more about your car. As long as you don't remove the secondary chains, getting timing stuff back together really isn't all that bad (like I said there's great vids by guys who show you Exactly how, including what order and how much to torque bolts, etc).

OP
OP
DmanDmythDlegend

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
All the more reason to spend a few $hundred in tools and do the learning/research to do it yourself. It's not that difficult. Most everything now has multiple step by step vids online.

I can tell you this though, one thing that's often ignored and never talked about in build costs is all the "consumables." Ford Engineers are jerks (like most of them nowadays) and they don't really do stuff that makes sense from a maintenance standpoint (in fact I think they do it on purpose). They use a lot of torque to yield one time use bolts that have to be replaced.

So just doing an OPG swap, you're gonna spend money on fluids (motorcraft orange, oil change, filter), gaskets, new fasteners (balancer bolt, and if you want to upgrade anything to ARP like the oil pump fasteners, etc.

In the end, once you buy the proper tools (like a balancer puller, digital torque wrenches (big and small) or just use a big one with more error for the little fasteners that need inch-lbs), crank socket, etc, etc, you'll come out way ahead of those quotes, you'll keep the tools and you'll know a lot more about your car. As long as you don't remove the secondary chains, getting timing stuff back together really isn't all that bad (like I said there's great vids by guys who show you Exactly how, including what order and how much to torque bolts, etc).
I am thinking i will just ship it to my brother who is a career mechanic and drive down to get his help with the installation. Is there a write up somewhere that says what is needed in addition to the gears them selves?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Reach out to Rev Auto and see since you're in VA - not a long trip up to Baltimore. I'm guessing 16 hours of labor @ $105. $650 for a custom dyno tune or use the canned tune with a kit.
Sponsored