Sponsored

1100 HP EcoBoost Project in Hot Rod - Ken Duttweiler

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
If he says he's going to do something, you can be fairly sure he'll do it. He's not known for screwing up much, or for not making power. Ain't no backyard operation there.
Sponsored

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
The big question is what are the lab conditions and would they work/fit in a vehicle? Is he force cooling the water and oil temp below what could be achieved in a vehicle, cooling the intercooler outlet charge air more than could ever be done in a vehicle (except for iced intercooler on 1/4 mile pass), running very little backpressure on a lab straight pipe that wouldn't fit in a car, running a horn style inlet with no air cleaner restriction, that kind of thing.

If you ever watch that Engine Masters show on Youtube, they do that stuff all the time. Pause the shot video in strategic places and read the temperature measurements, look at the test cell setup, that kind of thing. It's more of a dyno queen entertainment thing than actually making something for a vehicle.

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
The big question is what are the lab conditions and would they work/fit in a vehicle? Is he force cooling the water and oil temp below what could be achieved in a vehicle, cooling the intercooler outlet charge air more than could ever be done in a vehicle (except for iced intercooler on 1/4 mile pass), running very little backpressure on a lab straight pipe that wouldn't fit in a car, running a horn style inlet with no air cleaner restriction, that kind of thing.

If you ever watch that Engine Masters show on Youtube, they do that stuff all the time. Pause the shot video in strategic places and read the temperature measurements, look at the test cell setup, that kind of thing. It's more of a dyno queen entertainment thing than actually making something for a vehicle.

I'll be running a velocity stack on my car for the glory runs... Blox makes a great filter that with about 10 seconds of work switches to a velocity stack. Picked this trick up from my high HP Honda friends a while back.

Last edited:

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It will be interesting to see when he gets there and then run a 7 sec. 1/4 mile. Funny thing is, there was a Grand National behind me in traffic today-silver intercooler (could see it through the grill) started from the top of the hood and extended to about 6 inches below the front valance-talk about your monster coolers!

The car was all ate up with intercooler lol.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
It will have unobtanium parts that we will never see. He knows what it will take and knows the shops and guys that play at his level.

Sponsored

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will have unobtanium parts that we will never see. He knows what it will take and knows the shops and guys that play at his level.
Thankfully he's less than an hour from me lol :ford:

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
He's got a long road ahead of him, not saying he won't. I'm saying he's going to run into all the same problems everyone else is having, fuel, head flow, cams, intake manifold, head gasket. There's a reason 680 whp is the record right now.
Not to mention actual useable power band. 1100 hp needs at least 110lb/min capable turbo to accomplish this and a turbo of this size on a 2.3L engine is going to be lag city like full spool at 6000 RPMs laggy.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Not to mention actual useable power band. 1100 hp needs at least 110lb/min capable turbo to accomplish this and a turbo of this size on a 2.3L engine is going to be lag city like full spool at 6000 RPMs laggy.
It would be laggier than that off the bottle. We are looking at 4500rpm spool for 24psi on a 6466 on these engines, again off the bottle.

For 1100hp you would be looking at 95lb/min minimum (remember 1100CHP not WHP) so we are talking a 9567 from Xona. That turbo spools at 4.3k on a 3.8L.. just imagine a 2.65L lol.

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking a good bit of nitrous will be in the works here

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It would be laggier than that off the bottle. We are looking at 4500rpm spool for 24psi on a 6466 on these engines, again off the bottle.

For 1100hp you would be looking at 95lb/min minimum (remember 1100CHP not WHP) so we are talking a 9567 from Xona. That turbo spools at 4.3k on a 3.8L.. just imagine a 2.65L lol.
True especially if on C-16 Q-16 or E-100 around 95-100lbs/min should suffice.
Yes I was being optimistic and assuming yes there would be a decent sized shot of nitrous to help spool the beast.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Going to be very cool to watch this build unfold. Duttweiler is a GENIUS with turbo combinations!

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
680 whp, is alot a damned good bit! ... what do you figure that is at the crank?
750-785 ish crank I think if my math is correct (averaging if MT or AT)

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I'll be running a velocity stack on my car for the glory runs... Blox makes a great filter that with about 10 seconds of work switches to a velocity stack. Picked this trick up from my high HP Honda friends a while back.
VS doesn't work as you'd hope, especially on the small stock turbo, or even a big turbo for that matter. I think Adam's testing shows that an organized air column is more beneficial on this car, as well as better air charge temps. I did some testing as well and an open compressor and v-stack netted no benefit on the track. As a matter of fact, the car drives better in all accounts with the stock airbox, lol.

I am curious as to the point at which it actually becomes a restriction.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
750-785 ish crank I think if my math is correct (averaging if MT or AT)
From my testing not a huge difference in powertrain loss between MT and AT.

You are looking at about 760CHP at that power level.
Sponsored