sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Hello everyone,

I hope this is a simple question, and hope that the answer will help many other people.

Does the 10R80 have a failsafe(s) built in - in the event that the transmission suddenly dies - Whether or not it is a mechanical, electrical, programing, or other issue, will the transmission fail in a way to protect the engine? We can even expand this question out to the 6R80's as well.

*I ask because of the TC locking feature.
**Or is there always a chance of damage to both?

Backstory to this question if you care: My transmission....well, I honestly hate it. I don't feel that it is reliable with all the problems I have been having with it. If there were to be failsafe's built in, I would feel more comfortable driving the car how I want to.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not sure what you mean by fail safe? There's programming in the ECU/TCM to protect the drivetrain from overheating or from knock or stuff like that. Also, there's no reason why if a tranmission fails you have to worry about the engine or needing to protect the engine.

Are you modded? Why are you so worried about a car that should theoretically have 4 more years of full coverage on the transmission and/or engine.

What makes you think it's not reliable? Has it failed on you multiple times?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Are you modded? Why are you so worried about a car that should theoretically have 4 more years of full coverage on the transmission and/or engine.
100% stock. I drive in normal mode most of the time.

The transmission is... well clunky and harsh as hell on the downshifts when coming to a stop.
I have been in multiple times with local Ford dealers (only one of which agreed the behavior was a problem and did a valve body rework - with some improvement)

I am just worried that if the transmission fails it will take the engine with it, because of the aforementioned TC locking feature.

If there is a failsafe of some sort, I may just get a custom tune and hope they can program the transmission to behave better. I have been fighting with Ford for almost a year now. I am about done with it. If there are failsafe's that protect the engine from a failed transmission I would feel more comfortable voiding my warranty - and just replacing it if something happens.

I love mustangs. I love the chassis, the body work. I like the engine. But so far I absolutely HATE this transmission, it has been nothing but problems and Ford is doing very little to help. So I am just going to take things into my own hands.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
A fail safe does not exist. But running a different transmission tune might make it run better if your problems are software. But then again maybe you just need a re flash on the stock software.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I am just worried that if the transmission fails it will take the engine with it, because of the aforementioned TC locking feature.
I think you're worrying unnecessarily in this case with the engine. If you don't like the way the transmission performs/feels and Ford is saying it's all normal and not helping you out, then yes there would be some improvements to be had in the aftermarket both in terms of a tune and build of the 10R80.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Are you asking if there's a fail safe to prevent from blowing it up - if one IS trying to blow it up purposefully?

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Are you asking if there's a fail safe to prevent from blowing it up - if one IS trying to blow it up purposefully?
Not on purpose, but yes, a failsafe to protect the engine from the transmission. I have no confidence in my automiatic transmission.

For example, if the trans seizes up - is their a failsafe to protect the engine?

Synergy720

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Not on purpose, but yes, a failsafe to protect the engine from the transmission. I have no confidence in my automiatic transmission.

For example, if the trans seizes up - is their a failsafe to protect the engine?
The 10R80s are absolutely stout man, if you’re naturally aspirated on it, it’ll be fine. I absolutely beat the mess out of my 10R80 on the autobahn. I mean 140mph+ for at least 5-8 minutes usually. I mean you can really beat these things and they’ll still be holding strong. As far as your downshifts are concerned, it’s normal.. it’s sad to say but even with mine, when braking at a red light or something, it’ll 100% buck a little. Try slamming on the brakes and coming to a complete stop, it’ll feel like the transmission is about to drop out. But all in all, just drive normal or spirited. Whatever makes you happy. You still have plenty of warranty left.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
No, because one is not needed. Not sure how you plan on seizing the trans, or what "rough" shifts have to do with the potential for a seized trans.

You sound worried for no reason, to be honest with you...this ain't the car for you to be modding. At least keep it stock and if something does seize, you have warranty.

Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I don’t see how the trans in normal mode can blow up the engine. Normal mode usually shifts at what? 3,4,5K?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Did you have fault in your transmissions or it's just noisy and clunky on downshifts?

The noise you can safely ignore it (expect is some kind of horrible grinding noise), transmissions tend to make noise. Cars are so quiet nowadays that you can hear noises that previously didn't hear.

The clunkiness on downshift always happens, even when the transmission is at operating temperature? It can take some time to reach proper operating temperature and my experience is that even the finest transmissions are clunky when cold. Especially when downshifting. Downshifting is mechanically more difficult than upshifting.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
The 10R80s are absolutely stout man, if you’re naturally aspirated on it, it’ll be fine. I absolutely beat the mess out of my 10R80 on the autobahn. I mean 140mph+ for at least 5-8 minutes usually. I mean you can really beat these things and they’ll still be holding strong. As far as your downshifts are concerned, it’s normal.. it’s sad to say but even with mine, when braking at a red light or something, it’ll 100% buck a little. Try slamming on the brakes and coming to a complete stop, it’ll feel like the transmission is about to drop out. But all in all, just drive normal or spirited. Whatever makes you happy. You still have plenty of warranty left.
I would describe mine as a bit more than a buck, but yes, sounds similar to what happens to you. But I have been told that it should be smooth and intuitively how it behaves doesn't feel right under decelerating.

I will 100% agree that my transmission is very good on accelerating, very fast and very smooth (maybe too smooth...)

Even though we may disagree that it is or isn't a problem, it does make me feel better knowing you have a similar thing going on and its still alive hahaha.

Did you have fault in your transmissions or it's just noisy and clunky on downshifts?

The noise you can safely ignore it (expect is some kind of horrible grinding noise), transmissions tend to make noise. Cars are so quiet nowadays that you can hear noises that previously didn't hear.

The clunkiness on downshift always happens, even when the transmission is at operating temperature? It can take some time to reach proper operating temperature and my experience is that even the finest transmissions are clunky when cold. Especially when downshifting. Downshifting is mechanically more difficult than upshifting.
I have both noise and clunky downshifts all the time - cold or hot it doesn't matter. In all of my previous Mustangs (and some non mustangs) those automatics were never clunky or noisy. Accelerating is great. Decelerating is clunky and feels like its going to break.

Which is why I asked the question if there are failsafe's in place. I don't want my engine to be damaged from what I feel to be an incorrectly operating transmission. But seems the consensus is there are no failsafes and this thing is naturally clunky and harsh (which is still unacceptable if you ask me)

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Clunkiness on downshift is normal operation, especially on lower gears. The 10R80 as you already know has a locking up torque converter, and for efficiency reasons and fast gas response likes to stay locked up as much as possible.
This behavior has advantages and disadvantages, one of them being what you are feeling.
You may like it or not, but that is what a more performance-oriented automatic transmission does. Probably you like best the feeling of a more comfort-tuned transmission that gives you the feeling to go on a "magic carpet", and for that you probably will be better with a CVT or, if at all possible, remap the shift strategy of your TCM to allow for more slip (that will reduce usable service life of the clutch packs and torque converter).

I can assure you even the best in class dual clutch transmissions has the same behaviour you are describing.

There are no needs for a failsafe as already told by others, in case the transmission will seize the engine will just stall and nothing bad will happen, but from what you are describing I have the feeling that you just don't like the 10R80 more than it having a defect.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
(which is still unacceptable if you ask me)
At this pricepoint, you're going to have downsides to the operation. You can't have the smoothness of a $300k Bentley putting around and the performance of a $300k GT3RS when driving hard. You're going to have clunks, you're going to have rough shifts etc. but as others mentioned these aren't necessary signs of a failing transmission.

As Luca eluded to, it sounds like you just don't like how it operates. At this point, you can try and tune it for a slight improvement (at the cost of your warranty), you can dump a bunch of money into re-building it to operate alot better. Or just drive the piss out of it knowing you have a pretty reliable transmission and a warranty on top of it if anything should go wrong.
Sponsored