Sponsored

10r80 SUCKS!

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
It seems pretty stupid to me to complain a transmission “sucks” when you are asking it to do something it wasn’t designed for. It handles a 460 hp engine incredibly well- far better than ANY manual transmission. If you put ridiculous power into it then you are at fault, not the design of the transmission. It’s like blaming a driveshaft with a 130 mph limit for breaking when you go 150. The Ford engineers who designed didn’t do it expecting unlimited power to go into it.
:yawn:
Sponsored

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
I can list many others that want it done as well.. Trust me I get it. Like I said before he does not have the capacity to be able to get it done in a timely matter as far as I know. He is working on getting every car he has had there for over a month out of the shop. Cars came in that were supposed to be a quick turnaround and ending up needing a lot more. There's plenty of ways it could be resolved but his way is his way. I don't have say on it and others saying how he should do this or that won't change the fact that it is still his shop. Whether or not it puts a soiled look on him or not.
There is a procharged car in Dallas that his 10r80. His own personal car his his built 10r80. Also a whipple car on this forum has his built 10r80. I can't remember his @ for the life of me. I'll do some searching and see if I can find him on here and have him put his input. Even back when he wasn't AS backed up as he is now it still did take time due to the custom machining that was needed for it(he did what you want to do, shipped a trans to LPF, built it, send it back). I wish I could help you guys out more and get the ball rolling on 10r80's like mine out there.

Earlier I did see you mention that Lund has the most boosted 8 second cars out there. While this is correct, that does not mean that they aren't going through transmissions (clutches) after every 4-5th pass either. Quality vs Quantity.
LPF = :bandit: :inspect: :camera:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Can you swap a built 6r80 into a 18-20 gt and use a stand alone controller to control it? If so, it seems like that would be a viable solution for a reliable high power handling transmission...

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
Can you swap a built 6r80 into a 18-20 gt and use a stand alone controller to control it? If so, it seems like that would be a viable solution for a reliable high power handling transmission...
The standalone transmission controller available doesn't work well for high HP applications. Lund and a few others tried that out with bad results. Heinz looked into doing it and so did I. They told us, bad idea.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I haven't had any "malfunctions" so to speak, but it seems like in Normal mode you've really got to floor it to get it to drop enough gears to get good acceleration. It feels rather lazy, not like you've got 460 ponies at your disposal if you just give it some throttle. I do have some hard shifts, especially in the more aggressive modes. I'm not sure if there is a software update available, as I've got an early build 2018, or it's just a re-flash. I thought once I drove it for awhile it would re-learn and give me more of what I'm looking for, but not to be.
Sponsored