Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It is metallic, when I took it out it was sticking to the pick tool I used to take it out. No visible damage to the chamber other than a little marring on the valve itself where that little piece got stuck but it doesn't look significant enough to cause an issue.
if you tilt the valve body upright, machined face to you, do the valves fall out? If so, I think it's a temporary locator that the tech forgot to remove all of them before putting on the cover/other half.
Sponsored

mag_5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
What does it look like once removed from the valve body? Itā€™s possible it is a roll pin but hard to tell as it sits in that image.

Crazy that debris like that is floating around in thereā€¦
It's pretty much the size of the loop on a small cotter pin, it is a very small piece and I would've never expected that to have been my issue all along. Transmission has been smooth like the first day I bought it since I took out that piece.

mag_5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
if you tilt the valve body upright, machined face to you, do the valves fall out? If so, I think it's a temporary locator that the tech forgot to remove all of them before putting on the cover/other half.
Valves did not fall out when I did so, I was moving that valve body around to inspect it and make sure nothing was broken or if there was any other piece stuck, everything seemed like it was properly fastened down so it's still a mystery to me where that piece came from.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It's pretty much the size of the loop on a small cotter pin
oh, so no long shank attached? Then yeah it is debris.

You should be proud. Normally that kind of foreign material feature costs MILLIONS. At least that's what Boeing charges the airlines and US military. They even have a price sheet for step ladders, hammers, and misc. hand tools should the customer request they get left behind in wing spars and fuselage crevices.

The new hot feature is arcing cables near inboard fuel tanks. $98 of parts.

Sponsored

mag_5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
oh, so no long shank attached? Then yeah it is debris.

You should be proud. Normally that kind of foreign material feature costs MILLIONS. At least that's what Boeing charges the airlines and US military. They even have a price sheet for step ladders, hammers, and misc. hand tools should the customer request they get left behind in wing spars and fuselage crevices.

The new hot feature is arcing cables near inboard fuel tanks. $98 of parts.
No long shank attached. I was determined to find the actual issue and I was seconds away from buying a new valve body when I just said screw it, I'm gonna separate the valve body and good thing I did. Good thing Ford isn't made by Boeing or else I wouldn't have lived to tell the tale šŸ˜‚

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
I forgot to take a picture of it, kind of got too excited in the moment when I made my ground breaking discovery and misplaced the piece šŸ˜‚
Glad you found it and was able to get it fixed and the debris out but wish we had a pic to try to figure out if was a part that came from somewhere inside the trans or something that got in there during the factory assembly process by mistake.

BD

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
1. Can anyone say their harsh shifts have been fully fixed by Ford according to their TSB 24-2101?

2. Also, for those who have an Oct-Dec 19 built MY20, did Ford approve the high-pitched whining repair according to their TSB 20-2198? If so, did the repair fix the problem? Note: this is different from the supposedly normal bell housing whine that affects most vehicles in differing degrees with the 10R80.

Thanks.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
1. Can anyone say their harsh shifts have been fully fixed by Ford according to their TSB 24-2101?

Thanks.
I canā€™t say yet but mine is going in for a valve body job tomorrow so will see. If it doesnā€™t fix it I assume a cdf drum is next. My car only has 39000 km perhaps 24 k miles and shouldnā€™t need trans work with such low miles but alas Ford. :)

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I canā€™t say yet but mine is going in for a valve body job tomorrow so will see. If it doesnā€™t fix it I assume a cdf drum is next. My car only has 39000 km perhaps 24 k miles and shouldnā€™t need trans work with such low miles but alas Ford. :)
Hope it works out. Interested to know if it does.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I will update when I get it back likely tomorrow.
Okay got the car back yesterday same day as it was dropped off. Valve body overhaul whatever that is exactly.

I know the trans has to go through some adaptive learning still. As to the trans Iā€™m on the fence right now. I would say it is a bit better but not OMFG they upgraded me to the PDK. :)

So Iā€™m going to keep driving it for a week or so and see if the adaptive improves it some more. But Iā€™m skeptical right now. If Iā€™m not happy after back it will go. I have 3 years of ESP left that I bought before the 3 year was up because of this effin trans.

Last edited:

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Okay got the car back yesterday same day as it was dropped off. Valve body overhaul whatever that is exactly.

I know the trans has to go through some adaptive learning still. As to the trans Iā€™m on the fence right now. I would say it is a bit better but not OMFG they upgraded me to the PDK. :)

So Iā€™m going to keep driving it for a week or so and see if the adaptive improves it some more. But Iā€™m skeptical right now. If Iā€™m not happy after back it will go. I have 3 years of ESP left that I bought before the 3 year was up because of this effin trans.
Cam,

What worked for my older 2020 Mustang GT and now for my 2023, is start off driving in Normal mode. After 10 - 15 minutes of driving, switch over to Sport mode plus. By doing this, you give the transmission sometime to warm-up and the quirks (harsh shifts, slipping, feeling like you got rear ended), will not be as intense.
Sponsored