10 speed tranny downshifting HARD!

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
Got my car back last night. Service Manager said they did a "software update" and declared it fixed. Drove it around after picking it up and it feels great. No hard downshifts and shifting from drive to reverse and back is pretty smooth. I have doubts about this "software update". I wonder if they just cleared the learning tables so the car is behaving like it just came off the production line. Sidenote, guys at the dealership said they couldn't hear the transmission whine. They must have kept the windows up since it's blatantly obvious when they're down. They're leaving the work order open until i report back so i'll take the service manager for a ride and help him hear the noise.

Sponsored

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
Show me one.

I noticed today the trans oil temps take forever to warm up above 100 degrees. Like almost 15 minues of driving.
I've been in two that didn't make any noise.

Frank Castle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Got my car back last night. Service Manager said they did a "software update" and declared it fixed. Drove it around after picking it up and it feels great. No hard downshifts and shifting from drive to reverse and back is pretty smooth. I have doubts about this "software update". I wonder if they just cleared the learning tables so the car is behaving like it just came off the production line. Sidenote, guys at the dealership said they couldn't hear the transmission whine. They must have kept the windows up since it's blatantly obvious when they're down. They're leaving the work order open until i report back so i'll take the service manager for a ride and help him hear the noise.
I got my car back from the dealer last night, valve body was replaced. Car still jerks/lunges when going from Park or Reverse to Drive. Dealership told me that this won't clear up until a complete drive cycle has been performed and that is per Ford. I can't tell if the harsh downshift from 5/4 is still present because the car now skips 5th gear when downshifting. It's still harsh from 4/3, service center says it's fixed, I can still feel it. I have 4400 miles on this car, it has never skipped 5th gear when downshifting but it does now. I still haven't been told anything about a software update for the Transmission either, doesn't appear that one was performed per the paperwork. I'd like to go back to Cobra Jet's post #39, does anybody know if there is a TSB or anything on the valve body failures or software updates?

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
I have an update on my transmission. After talking to a long time service advisor where I bought my car, he stated several times about the learning process on the 10 speed. I thought that he was just blowing me off.
So for only 2 days of commuting in only drive mode without ever using the sport function, which was hard to do by the way..... I don’t have the hard downshifts and the lunge that I was getting when going from park or reverse to drive is gone! Amazing. I guess I’ll have to decide how often I want to sport mode drive.
Your mustangs might be different, this is just my experience.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I rarely drive in sport mode. I just use D and toggle down if need be.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
I rarely drive in sport mode. I just use D and toggle down if need be.
Cool. I take it that you don’t have any issues with your tranny?

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I too have the harsh/clunky downshift from 4/3, as well as the lurch into Drive. 5600 miles, 90% in normal mode. So I doubt it’s a learning thing. Unless it learns wrong.

Any more info from those who had the software update? Can you post a pic of the service receipt?

Frank Castle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have an update on my transmission. After talking to a long time service advisor where I bought my car, he stated several times about the learning process on the 10 speed. I thought that he was just blowing me off.
So for only 2 days of commuting in only drive mode without ever using the sport function, which was hard to do by the way..... I don’t have the hard downshifts and the lunge that I was getting when going from park or reverse to drive is gone! Amazing. I guess I’ll have to decide how often I want to sport mode drive.
Your mustangs might be different, this is just my experience.
Rat, are you saying you don't have the issue in Normal mode but it still exists in Sport after 2 days straight of only Normal driving or is it gone from both modes now? How many miles have you driven the car in the last two days? I'm curious as to what amount of mileage a "complete driving cycle" could possibly be ... Thanks for any info in advance.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Rat, are you saying you don't have the issue in Normal mode but it still exists in Sport after 2 days straight of only Normal driving or is it gone from both modes now? How many miles have you driven the car in the last two days? I'm curious as to what amount of mileage a "complete driving cycle" could possibly be ... Thanks for any info in advance.
I have never had any hard downshifts in sport mode, just in normal. I have only put about 50 miles on it and this is the results. I do not have any idea why the issues that I had went away so soon. I bet if I go back to sport mode and get racey most of the time, the hard down shifts might reappear. I just might do some work experimenting.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I got my car back from the dealer last night, valve body was replaced. Car still jerks/lunges when going from Park or Reverse to Drive. Dealership told me that this won't clear up until a complete drive cycle has been performed and that is per Ford. I can't tell if the harsh downshift from 5/4 is still present because the car now skips 5th gear when downshifting. It's still harsh from 4/3, service center says it's fixed, I can still feel it. I have 4400 miles on this car, it has never skipped 5th gear when downshifting but it does now. I still haven't been told anything about a software update for the Transmission either, doesn't appear that one was performed per the paperwork. I'd like to go back to Cobra Jet's post #39, does anybody know if there is a TSB or anything on the valve body failures or software updates?

Frank,

seeing your in NJ from your profile location, do you mind telling me who your Ford Service Center was that did the work on the trans?

There were these TSBs, last being from 2018, regarding the 10R80 harsh shift points, but it was for the Ford F-Series:
https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...ed-shift-concerns-tsb-18-2079-tsb-18-2079.pdf

https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...ed-shift-concerns-tsb-18-2079-tsb-17-2262.pdf

https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...ed-shift-concerns-tsb-18-2079-tsb-18-2058.pdf

I’m not sure why it’s hard to find similar info for the S550 10R80.... I bumped another thread I started a while back asking if there has been any recent TSB, SSM or GSB’s on the subject matter, so hopefully someone will respond to that one too.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just found this one, which is S550 specific:

No Upshift Past Second Gear Fails To Achieve Third Gear Ratio – Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0757 And P2701 – 2018 Ford Mustang
oemdtc June 22, 2018 Diagnostic Tips

SSM 47361 – 2018 Mustang – 10R80 – No Upshift Past Second Gear Fails To Achieve Third Gear Ratio – Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0757 And P2701

Some 2018 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 10R80 transmission may exhibit a concern of no upshift past second gear or not achieving third gear ratio with DTCs P0757 and P2701.

This concern may be caused by a damaged one-way clutch.

To resolve this condition, replace the complete front support assembly (7A130) which includes the one-way clutch as well as any other parts that are found to be damaged.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2018 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG
Sponsored

Last edited: