RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Yes try this it does work with my 2016 GT Auto, It will re set the learn process and will feel a little abrupt at first until it relearns your driving style !
The way it was explained to me, the computer doesnt learn your driving style, it learns the transmission. it learns to compensate for things like minor variance in manufacturing and wear over time so that it can provide consistent shifting by adjusting to work with the mechanical components.
Sponsored

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Hello, I only have 2500 miles on my 2018 GT. I usually keep my driving in sport mode and sometimes
I let the car shift normally in auto mode. For some reason, when in normal auto mode, when it downshifts
From 4th to 3rd it’s rather abrupt. The shifts are fine in the other modes. Has my transmission learned this? The downshifts were very smooth when new.
When you say "normal auto mode" is the shifter in "D" or "S"? I ask because the "Drive Mode" is set to "Normal" and the shifter is in "S" position and auto, the shifting will act almost exactly like it does in "Sport Mode" with the shifter in either the "D" or "S" postion. By what you are describing it is acting like it is using the "Sport Mode" trans maps, which is fine if you have the shifter in the "S" position, but if it is acting that way in the "D" position then that is a glitch that hopefully will be an easy fix with a ECU reset like many have suggested.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
When you say "normal auto mode" is the shifter in "D" or "S"? I ask because the "Drive Mode" is set to "Normal" and the shifter is in "S" position and auto, the shifting will act almost exactly like it does in "Sport Mode" with the shifter in either the "D" or "S" postion. By what you are describing it is acting like it is using the "Sport Mode" trans maps, which is fine if you have the shifter in the "S" position, but if it is acting that way in the "D" position then that is a glitch that hopefully will be an easy fix with a ECU reset like many have suggested.
Yep I am saying that the shifter does this on D.

stangjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 19 with 1300 miles for now it shift correctly but the transmission made a supercharger sound i mean it whine. i'm thinking to take it to the dealer.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
I have a 19 with 1300 miles for now it shift correctly but the transmission made a supercharger sound i mean it whine. i'm thinking to take it to the dealer.
I wonder if that whine is normal....when I am in an area where I can hear the sound bounce off of a curb or something, I have always heard a low rpm whine. Let us know what they tell you.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I wonder if that whine is normal....when I am in an area where I can hear the sound bounce off of a curb or something, I have always heard a low rpm whine. Let us know what they tell you.
This whine seems to be "normal" for the A10. I have about 12.7 K miles on mine and the sound has been there since day 1. Albeit it is not as loud now as it use to be. Maybe the gears and worn in and reduced the sound or I am used to it lol

stangjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I had an 18 before and it never made this sound. I changed the 18 for 19 to have more option like the variable exhaust but now i hate to open the windows because i hear this sound

Last edited:

chocoblox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Hello, I only have 2500 miles on my 2018 GT. I usually keep my driving in sport mode and sometimes
I let the car shift normally in auto mode. For some reason, when in normal auto mode, when it downshifts
From 4th to 3rd it’s rather abrupt. The shifts are fine in the other modes. Has my transmission learned this? The downshifts were very smooth when new.
I have the same issue. When driving in normal mode, I also notice that when I get to either 4th or 5th gear, there’s a very noticeable fluctuation in RPM where it dips 200-400 RPM before continuing to shift smoothly. Once I get back down to 3rd gear while decelerating, I get the jerky downshift.

My assumption from what I’ve researched is that it could be the torque converter locking up, causing the fluctuating RPMs during acceleration, and then unlocking when I get back to 3rd gear while decelerating which causes the jerky downshift. Can anyone more knowledgeable chime in if this sounds like a possibility?

I’ve tried resetting the ECU (by disconnecting battery) to see if helps, but it didn’t do anything.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
The whine I would guess stems from the way that the main hydraulic pump is driven to the side of the input shaft instead of being part of it directly and by what appears to be by straight cut gears, coupled with the much thinner fluid that was made for this auto. This is my best guess because the cutaways make it look like the main pumps driven gear and the input shaft pump drive gear are straight cut, and the fact that the lock-up clutch apparently locks almost immediately after the vehicle gets moving.

Mine has had the whine since day one with little, if any, change in volume, but it is not that loud unless I am in specific sound resonating areas ;). My father-in-law has a 2017 F-150 that also makes the same noise, however, his is a little louder, but I think that that is because it is higher off the ground.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
The whine I would guess stems from the way that the main hydraulic pump is driven to the side of the input shaft instead of being part of it directly and by what appears to be by straight cut gears, coupled with the much thinner fluid that was made for this auto. This is my best guess because the cutaways make it look like the main pumps driven gear and the input shaft pump drive gear are straight cut, and the fact that the lock-up clutch apparently locks almost immediately after the vehicle gets moving.

Mine has had the whine since day one with little, if any, change in volume, but it is not that loud unless I am in specific sound resonating areas ;). My father-in-law has a 2017 F-150 that also makes the same noise, however, his is a little louder, but I think that that is because it is higher off the ground.
@Ace21 thanks for the info. I have read the same about the hydraulic pump as well for the reason of the whining sound.

Sponsored

Stein357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have an '18 with approximately 5,000 miles that downshifts hard into 3rd and also jerks when going from P to D. It's at the dealership today, I'll keep everyone updated with what they find.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
There was an update to the transmission software and it fixed the hard downshifting and the jerk into D.
That’s what my GT has been doing. So the update fixed it?

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
I've got a 2018 GT 10spd with the same issues noted above. Rough downshift in D drive mode, harsh when changing from reverse to drive and loud whine - more noticeable at lower speeds. Took it to my dealer months ago and they said it was all normal. It's not normal. Any idea when this software update happened? Is it in a TSB?
Sponsored