10 Speed Clunk when shifting Into Drive and Reverse

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Hey everyone, I know this topic has been somewhat addressed before but I have my own nuance of info I’d like to get from it. There’s an unsold 10 speed Mach 1 at a dealership near me. I went to check it out today. Liked the spec was thinking “I am gonna drive home with this thing”………then it clunked a little bit and the car shook a little when I shifted into drive. It also did it when I shifted into reverse. There is also maybe a slight creaking noise when it clunks. My 10 Speed GT does the same thing. I assumed it was one of the many janky aspects of my car, but is this normal? More importantly does this indicate that that 10 speed is more likely to die on me at some point? I don’t wanna plank down 60k after tax and warranty in part because my first mustang was janky only to end up with another janky car. Thanks in advance on any thoughts on gear select clunk!
Sponsored

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, I know this topic has been somewhat addressed before but I have my own nuance of info I’d like to get from it. There’s an unsold 10 speed Mach 1 at a dealership near me. I went to check it out today. Liked the spec was thinking “I am gonna drive home with this thing”………then it clunked a little bit and the car shook a little when I shifted into drive. It also did it when I shifted into reverse. There is also maybe a slight creaking noise when it clunks. My 10 Speed GT does the same thing. I assumed it was one of the many janky aspects of my car, but is this normal? More importantly does this indicate that that 10 speed is more likely to die on me at some point? I don’t wanna plank down 60k after tax and warranty in part because my first mustang was janky only to end up with another janky car. Thanks in advance on any thoughts on gear select clunk!
I would check the u-joints and trans mounts and maybe motor mounts. If you can put it in the air, check to see if you can replicate anything by turning the wheels front and back… maybe a little slop in the differential.

Mach Daddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I just bought this mach 1 last month with 753 miles on it and I have nothing like that at all. How many miles on it??

20240407_143558.jpg

OP
OP
Spang550

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I would check the u-joints and trans mounts and maybe motor mounts. If you can put it in the air, check to see if you can replicate anything by turning the wheels front and back… maybe a little slop in the differential.
Actually from what I have learned from chatting with several mustang performance shops what I am experience is normal behavior. The bushings in the diff are soft and there’s a degree of slop in the driveline. VERY normal, but also a case of USDM chince. Nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Spang550

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I just bought this mach 1 last month with 753 miles on it and I have nothing like that at all. How many miles on it??

20240407_143558.jpg
800 something. Sadly it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen. When I chatted with the dealership leading up to it it seemed like they wanted to sell it. It hadn’t sold at 65k and they wanted to play ball. The manager changed over the weekend attempted to mark the thing up but still would t drop below sticker which is a few k more then I am willing to swallow especially given that the manager put 800 miles on it. I guess they are willing to hold it forever and use it as an exhibition car :/

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
800 something. Sadly it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen. When I chatted with the dealership leading up to it it seemed like they wanted to sell it. It hadn’t sold at 65k and they wanted to play ball. The manager changed over the weekend attempted to mark the thing up but still would t drop below sticker which is a few k more then I am willing to swallow especially given that the manager put 800 miles on it. I guess they are willing to hold it forever and use it as an exhibition car :/
If you’re into a Mach 1, then just go to cargurus or similar sites, open up the search criteria to nationwide and filter it only on the Mach 1. You will find them for far less… I mean why lay $65k when there too many listed for much less…

Screw that dealer - $65k for a used Mach 1? Search… and I’d bet you can find one not only for less but for less including shipping costs to your door if out of state…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spang550

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I’ve considered the out of state rout. Unless I get desperate I don’t think I wanna go there. I’d have to find a new credit union for the loan, and it’s a pain finding decent PPI people to do remote work (I looked into it). But yeah they are full of shit. That car is worth a several thousand dollar discount after the 800 miles out on it.

Mach Daddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
65????? I paid 53k for mine and it's the fully loaded option with the handling package and everything. Run away from that car.

OP
OP
Spang550

Spang550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
How many miles?
Sponsored