Sponsored

Clunk sound when shifting drive to reverse?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Whenever I shift my car from drive to reverse on my GT auto, I get this quick clunk noise. The cars 3 weeks old, and has done it since I bought it from what I can recall. Does anyone else get this sound, is it normal?
Sponsored

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank's. Most of those appear to be issues with manual transmissions, my car typically only makes the noise when I shift from R to D or D to R with my auto. After that it shifts through the gears fine once its in Drive or Sport mode. Hopefully I don't have to bring it into the dealer and have the transmissions replaced or fixed already.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thank's. Most of those appear to be issues with manual transmissions, my car typically only makes the noise when I shift from R to D or D to R with my auto.
The links in Post #3 above are talking about manual transmissions, but if a car has the slack in the drive drain as shown in those two threads, then an automatic will "clunk" every time it's shifted from D to R or from R to D.

Sponsored

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
F150's and Super Duty trucks have the same clunk. It's due to the type of u-joint used at the output shaft connection. It's proven to be a non-issue, but there's also a TSB out on it.

The TSB simply states to spray the u-joint with penetrating lube to lessen the sound. I have not seen or heard of one failing across three platforms, so...

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Hey I have a 16 auto gt as well. Sometimes when I put the car into reverse I hear a ping sound. Not really a clunk. Also my first gear can be a little lurchy.

I assumed it was normal because of all the mechanical bits it takes to power a transmission. But then again idk wtf I'm talking about lol

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
May want to bring it in for a tech to drive, it shouldn't stutter in gear.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Some clunking noise is normal. For lack of better words when shifting from drive into reverse all the drive line is turning forward when you stop all the drive line is twisted tight in forward position. When you shift into reverse the drive line unloads its forward twist and turns opposite rotation giving you the clunk you hear. Unless it is and extreme amount of noise I wouldn't worry. One reason you can hear this noise so well is because end of the transmission is by your left hip.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
There is always gonna be some drivetrain slop. It's physically impossible to not have backlash in the gears. Even the most expensive cars will have some click and clunk.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK thank's everyone. It doesn't seem to effect the drive-ability to I'm not going to worry about it, unless it gets worse.

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
I have a 2015 V6 Auto and had the clunk when going from park the R its a know issue with the autos there is no TSB on it but it has to do with where the front of the drive shaft enters the Trans, the bolts need to be reset to 59 ft pounds, I took my car in and when they called ford this is what they were told to do to fixe it. so they have to drop the front of the drive shaft remove it from the trans reset the bolts put the shaft back in and done. I have not had that issue at all anymore after this fix was done.

Just thought I would pass it along if your dealer say there is nothing wrong have him call ford support and tell them what you are hearing then watch his face when they tell him its a know issue and this is how to fix it

Mark

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I have a 2015 V6 Auto and had the clunk when going from park the R its a know issue with the autos there is no TSB on it but it has to do with where the front of the drive shaft enters the Trans, the bolts need to be reset to 59 ft pounds, I took my car in and when they called ford this is what they were told to do to fixe it. so they have to drop the front of the drive shaft remove it from the trans reset the bolts put the shaft back in and done. I have not had that issue at all anymore after this fix was done.

Just thought I would pass it along if your dealer say there is nothing wrong have him call ford support and tell them what you are hearing then watch his face when they tell him its a know issue and this is how to fix it

Mark
I should've specified, but the TSB is for f150's. They share a common driveline for 5.0/Auto.
Sponsored