Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The article I read direct from Ford stated that in/by a Mustang EV would be available, it didnt say anything about replacement.
Got a link to the Ford article?

I don't recall them announcing an EV Mustang other than the Mach E
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A hybrid would be the best of both worlds. It would have better mileage (like we care... but the gubbamit you know). Then there’s all that sound AND more hp like many of the supercars now. I don’t want to drive something devoid of sound. Why not at least give it the note of an amplified blender? It might make me yearn for a margarita, but at least it would sound like something.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I can't wait until 30 years from now when I've got my Bullitt at a car show and the dad's bring their kids over to hear what a muscle car sounded like "back in the day".

Except the laws then will require it be trailered to and from and only started if the exhaust is connected to something that completely contains the gasses and sound.

Prediction right now: These types of cars (V8, manual, awesome exhaust) will be collector cars one day when we're all in autonomous electric vehicles and people yearn for the tactile & aural enjoyment that comes with them.

Of course the ones that survive will be collectibles and, in the long run, only affordable by the uber wealthy just like the truly rare ones today. I'm not so sure about the yearning thing though. By then, or perhaps a bit longer, drivers will have grown up with different technology. They won't want to go back to noisy, smelly ICE anymore than you want to go back to horse drawn carriages.
For me it's mostly moot anyway. At 65 I suspect I'll be able to drive whatever I want/can afford as long as I'm still able to drive. Past that I'll just hope for a fast wheelchair.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
With the battery technology out today you would have to go recharge after doing a burnout or a 1/4 mile run :) What about if you live in the cold north?
I remember somebody talking about electric cars over 10 years ago and they said something that stuck with me....electric cars won't be mainstream until they present no compromises in weight, handling, interior space, cost, convenience, etc.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
The average age of a car on the road today is 12 years. Just because the automakers offer a couple EVs for sale doesn't mean that suddenly all the ICEs will be gone. The only way those ICEs will go away in 15 years is if black booted thugs take them from the people.
If you don’t have fuel it’ll be something fun to look at.
The average age of a car on the road today is 12 years. Just because the automakers offer a couple EVs for sale doesn't mean that suddenly all the ICEs will be gone. The only way those ICEs will go away in 15 years is if black booted thugs take them from the people.
. Fuel has to be available to run them. It’s like taking ammo away and not regulating firearms.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the Mustang will survive the electrification of cars?

It sounds to me that all cars and SUV/trucks will be built even more so on common platforms. This sounds like the old TCR and Aurora slot car where you can swap bodies but the drivetrain and wheels remained together.

Let's just say that Ford makes 1-3 platforms. Why would someone choose a small body with a smaller trunk, unusable back seat with a sloped roofline instead of getting the exact same platform (electric motors, suspension, battery capacity, etc.) with a more utilitarian body on it.

Already we are seeing SUVs and trucks achieving the speeds that a Mustang can. Some, can even be made to drive on the track quite well. Drove a Cheyenne at Monticello and was able to do some fast speeds and took corners far faster than I could imagine an SUV doing.

People are already dropping sedans and coupes in favor of huge SUVs so they can cart a large volume of air and themselves around.

Electric will make everything fast and maybe too fast to the point the government will regulate a maximum performance metrics. When that happens, there will really be no need for a Mustang.

Would you continue to buy a mid or small car when a large car can do all the smaller can? After all, how much weight is in varying body styles when the platform remains the same? Sure, maybe 200-400 lbs but how much will that matter when the lightest car will be over 5000 lbs? It will not make a huge difference.

Now, it could be cool if they made the car modular where you can pop bodies off and swap them easily. Drive what you like. Upgrade it when new bodies come out. Maybe the aftermarket will make complete bodies ready for install. Imagine a lift in the garage that places the body on your platform automatically. OK, a little overboard but you get the idea.

Besides, all the go fast crowd will have left anyway in search of whatever is the fastest that year. They will succumb to whatever meets their daily needs and the Mustang body style and fun will be a memory.

I pray this does not come to pass. Unfortunately, what will stop it?
looks. That’s it, I don’t care about family or kids being able to fit in my sporty weekend car. Let the wife drive the suv.

people will always buy looks over function/usefulness. Atleast I will. As long as I have the money to blow Itl go towards wants not needs

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you don’t have fuel it’ll be something fun to look at.
. Fuel has to be available to run them. It’s like taking ammo away and not regulating firearms.
I remember when I was in college some of my high school classmates were making money converting gasoline powered vehicles over to propane.

Push comes to shove I'd do a conversion to natural gas on my older vehicles. Natural gas isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I remember when I was in college some of my high school classmates were making money converting gasoline powered vehicles over to propane.

Push comes to shove I'd do a conversion to natural gas on my older vehicles. Natural gas isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
I'll do bio-ethanol myself

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
The auto industry has reached an inflection point for mass adoption of electric vehicles. The need to reduce CO2 emissions combined with the improving economics of electric vehicles are leading all major manufacturers to pour billions of dollars into electric vehicle development. GM announced yesterday their intention to make the vast majority of the light duty vehicles it manufactures fully electric by 2035. The economics of operating battery EV’s has been steadily improving as battery costs decline, and range improves.

Consumer adoption of electric vehicles has been steadily growing as a consequence of lower prices, good performance, and longer ranges. Anecdotally, I have family and friends that have purchased either plug-in hybrids or fully electric cars. None of them would go back to a non-electric drivetrain.

According to Car and Driver, an EV can be substantially cheaper to power than an ICE powered car if you charge it at home. Their math is based on national averages so your results can vary depending on local electrical rates and fuel prices.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35152087/tesla-model-3-charging-costs-per-mile/

I think it is quite likely that there will be an all electric Mustang. It is not hard to imagine Ford using the Mach-E’s drivetrain as the base from which to create an electric Mustang coupe in the near future. Ford, like all other major auto makers, must be asking themselves if it makes sense to keep investing in developing ICE vehicles, or would that money be better spent on electric vehicle development.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.