Status
Not open for further replies.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
So I got a chance to get a powerboost f150 on a rack and check it out . Nice package only adds about 8 in to the powertrain . I think this combo might show up in s650 platform . 3.5 or 2.3 ecoboost with the hbv 10r80 . pics attached not the best .

Resized_20210122_115016.jpeg

Resized_20210122_115023.jpeg
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
And what exactly involves the driver when launching an automatic right now? Modern cars all pretty much rely on a good launch assist and the driver only has to get the right feeling far they can push the pedal before wheelspin.
Exactly.

I was trying to stay away from any MT vs AT side-track and was assuming that you were already aware where I stand on that. Of course, an EV takes that a step further by eliminating all shifting other than among P, R, D, and perhaps N.

Instant Torque of electric cars is insanely fun.
I guess it might be if that's the way you tend to drive. What I've found over the years is that the smoother you roll into any direction of acceleration - forward under throttle, rearward under braking, or laterally in a corner - the more stable your car remains. And that's a good thing.

Not to mention that passengers generally prefer having their heads tossed around less rather than more.

Mathematically, head toss amounts to 'jerk', or the rate of change in acceleration. Gradual changes in acceleration = low values of 'jerk'. Sudden increases, higher values.

Good cornering is fun and also a thing that pure EVs can do pretty good with their low center of gravity.
I know they can be made to run the skidpad numbers, but they're still going to have a heavier and more deliberate feel about them than, say, a S550 or S197 Mustang on comparable tires. Nimbleness and a "light" feel aren't going to be part of it. I suppose it helps to have some experience driving much lighter cars than the last couple of Mustang generations to fully appreciate this.

I had the chance to be passenger in the lower Mach-E model and the accleration is amazing. It's a completely other thing than a V8 that needs high RPMs to be fun. That is pretty much why I don't really like the Coyote that much, because below 3,500 RPM it does not feel like a 400+ hp car.
It's the other way around for me. I'd much rather have to work a little harder at getting the performance (where there's satisfaction in knowing that it was more on me to get it), and it also allows a Coyote-powered Mustang to have a Jekyll and Hyde personality. Gentle enough in mild to moderate daily driving and a relative beast when you crack the whip on all the horses. Yeah, I know you could rely on some snow/wet drive mode and another exaggerated throttle response mode to do that for you, but that's just bailing out on what you should be able to do for yourself as long as there isn't TOO much low speed performance potential on tap.

I am still looking forward to buying a new V8 car this year, most likely the C8. But I am absolutely sure for all the people who drive a more boring engine for their daily (3 or 4 cyl turbos, v6, etc) the pure fun will be much higher in an electric car.
For sure. And they'll get their excitement, figure it all stops with that, and probably never get any better. The sad part is that they'll be learning how to do the kind of driving that's more likely to get them in over their head.

Norm

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Horse pucky.

And a Tesla is not an automobile...anymore than a golf kart.

And an electric only mustang won't be either.

I'm fixin' to buy a '7 1 Mach w/ 3514V. That'll show em.
Good choice on the Mach! I had a red 71! The 351 Cleveland pulled hard as hell In that thing!

Last edited:

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
So I got a chance to get a powerboost f150 on a rack and check it out . Nice package only adds about 8 in to the powertrain . I think this combo might show up in s650 platform . 3.5 or 2.3 ecoboost with the hbv 10r80 . pics attached not the best .

Resized_20210122_115016.jpeg

Resized_20210122_115023.jpeg
I've only read about the Powerboost in the Ford literature. I'm really curious to see what owners think of it and how it holds up in the real world.
On paper, it looks like the cat's ass for portable power.

Maybe in my next Super Duty several years from now...?

My hope is that Ford has built the "hybrid" transmission for heavy duty service, off-road, etc. Not some light duty POS that can't handle anything but the shopping mall parking lot. Time will tell...

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Can't tell you on how strong they are , can tell you this , they are kick to drive

Sponsored

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma
I think we’re all forgetting one thing, Big Brother isn’t going to allow everyone and their mother drive a car that gets to 60 in 2.5 seconds. They’re going to regulate everything about it. It may become the most boring car we’ve ever driven.

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Mustang GT
You should really buy a motorcycle if you are all about straight line acceleration. They produce a lot more acceleration than a car. Plus they are relatively cheap. If I were really into acceleration as a high priority I'd still own one. Even slow motorcycles like my old Vulcan 1500 will give you that queasy inner ear feeling of disorientation.

Cars don't compare.
I have a motorcycle and I agree that a car cant really compare... one quick twist of the wrist and your at 100 mph. I am starting to appreciate the steel cage around me though with other drivers on the road. I personally know too many hurt due to careless drivers hitting a motorcycle

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Mustang GT
I think we’re all forgetting one thing, Big Brother isn’t going to allow everyone and their mother drive a car that gets to 60 in 2.5 seconds. They’re going to regulate everything about it. It may become the most boring car we’ve ever driven.
We already have these types of cars street legal. Technology will limit performance!

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
The new Tesla S tri motor is under 9 second 1/4 mile and under 2 second 0-60. Expensive but only for a while. EV prices will drop. You’ll probably have a choice to either buy diesel or EV power in 15 years. I’m betting gasoline will be limited production at refineries.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The new Tesla S tri motor is under 9 second 1/4 mile and under 2 second 0-60. Expensive but only for a while. EV prices will drop. You’ll probably have a choice to either buy diesel or EV power in 15 years. I’m betting gasoline will be limited production at refineries.
The average age of a car on the road today is 12 years. Just because the automakers offer a couple EVs for sale doesn't mean that suddenly all the ICEs will be gone. The only way those ICEs will go away in 15 years is if black booted thugs take them from the people.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Good choice on the Mach! I had a red 71! The 351 Cleveland pulled hard as hell In that thing!
I had a red 71 Mach in High school. It was a 351C 4V with a C6. Had a red interior.
We put an intake, hooker long tubes, flows, dumps, a huge solid lifter cam, a 750 Double pumper and 4:11 gears. Like you said, that shit pulled hard up top. I eventually had a 950 Pro series holly on it and it would pull to 7200 and you could shit if at 7400. It was amazing. Ate the transmission, went to college, and sold it. Major regret.

Good times.

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
one thing on the mind, maybe not everyone but unless your house has one an electric/plug in is going to have to be installed. might want to look at that before going off to buy an EV anytime in the future.... something to add in on the cost of owning one plus now the electricity bill is gonna jump up along with it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
one thing on the mind, maybe not everyone but unless your house has one an electric/plug in is going to have to be installed. might want to look at that before going off to buy an EV anytime in the future.... something to add in on the cost of owning one plus now the electricity bill is gonna jump up along with it.
1611534050533.jpeg

:crackup: :cwl::like:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.