Sponsored

‘13 E92 M3 vs ‘15 Mustang GT

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
To me, the E9x M3 was the last “real” M3. The new ones are much more in the mold of sophisticated German muscle cars like their AMG counterparts.

But, that’s progress. As much as I dislike the G8x front end, can’t deny its performance.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Yeah the limerock park edition doesn’t represent the general market well. These cars can be had for decent prices, depending on spec. The sedan variant is more rare too.
I'd love to get a 4 door with a manual. Crazy that low mileage, one owner ones cost more than a new Mustang.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
To me, the E9x M3 was the last “real” M3. The new ones are much more in the mold of sophisticated German muscle cars like their AMG counterparts.

But, that’s progress. As much as I dislike the G8x front end, can’t deny its performance.
Yes, it’s my favorite era. Last N/A M3, only one with a v8, plus it’s F1 inspired. It’s at a sweet spot before downsizing and turbos.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd love to get a 4 door with a manual. Crazy that low mileage, one owner ones cost more than a new Mustang.
Yeah, and I think it’s better than new mustangs too. The e9x chassis delivers far better driver feel and engagement. The E90 was only made for 3 years, and will hold or appreciate in value and a new mustang will depreciate hard.

Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I love your spec Driv3n to Drive. Beautiful car.
I miss my E92 M3 6speed as well but I was a bit worried about having an older BMW and maintenance costs.
I got a new Mustang with warranty for the piece of mind but I still miss the sound of that S65 engine.
IMG_0983.jpeg

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The guy that bought my E92 M3 sold it for near $48K just recently. It only had 42K miles on her and was like new. Also it was one of the last E92 M3s made with the build date from the last week in production.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Actually they are pretty stout. The issue they have are easily fixed if caught early. The issues are the rod bearings and the throttle position solenoid for the individual throttle bodies. You just have to stay on top of it. I had my E92 M3 for almost 8 yrs., not once did the car get warranty work or other items needed to be fixed other than for maintenance.

One other thing, they weren't FPC they were regular cross plane cranks and they spun to 8400rpm.
I wouldn't say easily fixed to be fair. Main bearing failure has killed many S65's. Just slapping in some rod bearings isn't a guaranteed fix if your engine becomes unhappy. The stock bearing clearances are very tight and the recommended oil change intervals and weight didn't really cut it given the forces involved at those high RPM's.

Great motor though, and if you have the money all of the issues can be addressed.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Great motor though, and if you have the money all of the issues can be addressed.
I can't remember what I concluded from my research a few years ago. Are you saying that the ITB and rod bearings can be a one and done? My assumption is that both expenses will be repeating over time (assuming you actually drive the car).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't remember what I concluded from my research a few years ago. Are you saying that the ITB and rod bearings can be a one and done? My assumption is that both expenses will be repeating over time (assuming you actually drive the car).
Rod bearings are a one and done, since you replace the right OEM clearance bearings with slightly larger ones. The throttle actuators are also a one time fix.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't say easily fixed to be fair. Main bearing failure has killed many S65's. Just slapping in some rod bearings isn't a guaranteed fix if your engine becomes unhappy. The stock bearing clearances are very tight and the recommended oil change intervals and weight didn't really cut it given the forces involved at those high RPM's.

Main bearing failures are very uncommon, and there’s a lot of research on this subject. The rod bearing replacements provide larger clearance. Also who actually follows recommended oil change intervals lol.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Main bearing failures are very uncommon, and there’s a lot of research on this subject. The rod bearing replacements provide larger clearance. Also who actually follows recommended oil change intervals lol.
I used to follow the recommendations when the manufacturers gave sensible 3,000 mile oil change intervals. No way am I extending to 10,000 or something to make my engine wear out more quickly. Especially with all the hydraulic cam actuators, etc. that have tiny openings in them.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The rod bearings are pretty much solved by using BE Bearings with their newer tolerances. There is also a company with the ITB issue that has made more durable gears and supposedly increased the life of those as well. Time will tell. There are still a ton of M3s running around with the original rod bearings with well over 100k miles on them. The ITB issue sooner or later will tear its ugly head. It wouldn't stop me though.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not that uncommon. It's the same basic failure mode, but it usually takes longer than the rod bearings to show up. That doesn't mean it's a non issue. I know a guy locally who did the rod bearings and then had low oil pressure 20k miles later. He did a lot of autocross with it.

And uh, plenty of people who bought the cars originally followed the recommended spec, that's how we got here lol. It's not like you can still buy them new.
Sponsored