Sponsored

Not enough power?

Raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 GT performance package / premium package
Just want to start by saying, I have not dyno'd my Mustang yet. I intend to as soon as I can.

When that happens, I of course will get a better idea of how much power mine is putting down.

As of now I'm going off my butt dyno, and honestly I was expecting more. I have 500 miles on it so far, and it really isn't as fast / powerful as I thought / hoped it would be.

Example: I tried launch control yesterday for the first time. I launched at 3k in track mode / traction control off, and it barely broke loose. A couple chirps from limited wheel hop / and almost no chirp into 2nd gear.

I'm not trying to burn my tires up (tires are expensive). And I know traction=good times at the track / more money in your pocket. I just thought I would have to take it easy in order to preserve my rubber. But i'm finding it is actually the opposite. I'm having to try really hard to feel wheel spin / break traction.

I have heard / read many people saying they are having trouble preserving their tires or maintaining traction at the track with the stock tires.

Kinda starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my car....

I'm not the best driver out there, but I'm no amateur.

Any thoughts or guidance is much appreciated.

s550/Gt/PP/PP 400a/all stock.
Sponsored

Shibby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Launch control uses traction control, FYI.

OP
OP

Raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 GT performance package / premium package
Good to know about the launch control using T/C. Didn't know that.

And I can't wait for the intake and tune. I need more power!

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
also 500mi is still pretty new... Several people, including me feel like the car feels much stronger after about 1500mi.

PS: Mine is an EB, but it still applies.

Sponsored

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ive never once woken up and thought, damn, my V8 needs more power. 400ish to the wheels is good enough for me.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Supercharge it!

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Not sure that I have the best perspective on this as this is my first "muscle car". In the scheme of things, this car does have a lot of power, but it's also pretty heavy. In a way, I also started feeling like I thought it would be faster but then I look at the speedo and the rearview mirror and realize this car IS actually fast! There's just something about the car that makes acceleration so smooth that it almost diminishes the effect.

As for LC, I haven't tried it in mine yet. I too am trying to preserve rubber (I have the 20" wheels with the Pirelli P-Zero summer tires). I figure I'll wait until I'm on the way to the tire shop before I use line lock for the first time. I have read, however, that launching at such low RPM's will cause the engine to bog. You may want to try more around the 3500 - 4000 RPM range. Also, these Pirelli summer tires are pretty sticky, especially when it's warm/hot out.

In any case, I think it's just the car that makes itself feel slower than it really is. If you want to light em up, you can definitely do it in this car without too much effort.

If all else fails...supercharge it. That should solve your problems.

505STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0
I raced a brand new 5.0 in my 12 yesterday and slowly walked it, not sure if these cars are as fast as the previous gen but they sure do look awesome.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've had a pullied and tuned GT500, and even so I can't say that my '15 doesn't have 'enough' power.... :confused:

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Oh, and from reading about other peoples dyno experiences, I believe the GT's are typically making around 370 - 380 whp stock.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
I raced a brand new 5.0 in my 12 yesterday and slowly walked it, not sure if these cars are as fast as the previous gen but they sure do look awesome.
That's probably the norm. The S550 is kinda of a porky car. Aren't the '11-'14 a little lighter? That would account for the outcome!

RouteAbel

2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Yeah I'm not sure what you are experiencing. I have the GT with PP too and I can chirp the wheels in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

99gtp

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Turn stability control off and you should be able to chirp 1 through 4th and get a little fish tail on each gear shift. I keep mine on just so it does not fish tail when I shift hard, don't want to hit the curb plus from what I researched it does not improve your times.

Alloye

Stangoholic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Even bone stock, I have no problem making passengers clench their butt cheeks.
Sponsored