Sponsored

Hard Core Winter Driving.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
...It's not that bad but when it have a lot of snow, after 5-6 time you enter in the car you have to empty the mats or it will pass over the lip.
Does that actually work?

And why don't you just pull it up and dump it
Sponsored

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
Has anyone tried to pop up one of these mats when it full of water?

:shrug:

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
I also bought weatertech mats they are good but i have glued a 3'' leater strip on the front of them because when you move forward, the water pass above the lip. I call them to know why the lip in the front right corner is 1/2'' high, and they told it was because of seat clerance so they will not inmprove it. It's not that bad but when it have a lot of snow, after 5-6 time you enter in the car you have to empty the mats or it will pass over the lip.
Simple solution i let a microfiber just your circled in red near the seat. When it s wet i throw it away or rinse and let it dry and use another one. No salt on the original carpet after winter. Don t let it wet at the end of the day because it could stink with time

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Third winter on mine. I have Blizzak WS80s and they did amazingly well the first two years, not as great this year as they've worn, but still very competent and much better than AS tires. As has been stated, ground clearance is really the only hurdle to be aware of, not really being RWD. Weathertech mats are a must. I also get to my local touchless auto wash as often as possible, which has a decent underbody wash. So far everything still looks good underneath.

I do plan on making this the last winter on the car though.

Sponsored

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
First Winter driving a RWD Mustang and I have to say that I was surprised on how well it managed on snow and ice. Do not listen to all of those that will tell you that RWD vehicles are not for winter or that a Mustang is not a winter car while they drive AWD/4WD/FWD with all season tires.

The S550 has so much technology that you really have to try hard get it sideways.

As mentioned, get good winter tires (I would only settle for Michelin's or Nokians, NOTHING ELSE!), get 17 or 18in wheels for your winter tires, use snow mode if you have it and the most important thing, use common sense and don't be that guy driving their AWD with all season tires that ends up on a ditch (man, do I love it when I pass them on my RWD Mustang).

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
First Winter driving a RWD Mustang and I have to say that I was surprised on how well it managed on snow and ice. Do not listen to all of those that will tell you that RWD vehicles are not for winter or that a Mustang is not a winter car while they drive AWD/4WD/FWD with all season tires.

The S550 has so much technology that you really have to try hard get it sideways.

As mentioned, get good winter tires (I would only settle for Michelin's or Nokians, NOTHING ELSE!), get 17 or 18in wheels for your winter tires, use snow mode if you have it and the most important thing, use common sense and don't be that guy driving their AWD with all season tires that ends up on a ditch (man, do I love it when I pass them on my RWD Mustang).
And definitely don't be that guy in a Golf R that passed me at the top of an ON-RAMP ON THE SHOULDER DURING A BLIZZARD flying at 75MPH....that was insane...

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I drove my EB last year and my GT this year, Milchelin Alpin PA4's all around. Works great. I don't drive in serious blizzards because or ground clearance which is admittedly a problem on any type of car that SUV or truck don't have.

A few weeks ago after a snowstorm I drove my friends mid-2000's Malibu with regular A/S tires and it was downright terrifying. The performance of the car (handling, brakes, etc) is already dismal and the snow just made it worse.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Stumbling?
It's been a few years since I sold my 2015 GT, but the way I remember it the computer seemed to get confused. It initially fired right up, but when I came back to it to drive away it was not running right. IIRC the computer stopped accepting signals from the throttle (the throttle did nothing when I got back in the car). It threw a check engine code. I shut the car down, restarted and drove away and everything was fine. The next day it worked perfectly.

The rest of the winter on cold days I would just start and drive away - the car ran fine when I did that.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

FYI Blizzak WS80 will be better than the Michelins by a small amount, similar to the Nokians. All are head and shoulders above what the vast majority of the population has on their vehicles.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
FYI Blizzak WS80 will be better than the Michelins by a small amount, similar to the Nokians. All are head and shoulders above what the vast majority of the population has on their vehicles.
Which Michelins are you comparing them to? The XIce3s will last longer, provide a tiny bit more of traction, quieter and will give him a longer warranty. They have always been reviewed better than the Blizzaks.

Not saying that the Blizzaks are a bad tire but the Michelins outperform them by a little bit plus I am sure they will last a season or two more than the Blizzaks.

Either way he will not go wrong.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Not saying that the Blizzaks are a bad tire but the Michelins outperform them by a little bit plus I am sure they will last a season or two more than the Blizzaks.
I don't think I've ever seen a test where Michelin winter tires out perform Blizzaks (I'm sure I'll quickly be proven wrong).

In my opinion, after 16 years of winter driving in a very heavy snow state, both Blizzaks and Ice-X tires are a bit over priced for their performance. If you're going to drop that kind of cash on a winter tire, go with Nokians.

Otherwise, grab a set of General Arctic Altimax tires and never look back. They'll be half the price, which will allow you to affordably swap them out every two years rather than three. 1-2 year old Generals will perform far better than 3 year old Blizzaks.

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I normally store my Mustang over the winter but one time I had to drive it as my other vehicle was not available.

Truth be told, I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Mustang drove!

So much so that the next winter, I'm really leaning towards purchasing Blizzaks on 18" rims from Tire Rack (~$1,800 shipped).

Point is: Mustangs are wonderful cars to drive all-year around, so long as there is enough ground clearance.
Sponsored