Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
It is?

"10-20-2003
CragarShinoda

There are around 9 plastic push pins that hold it on. Past that, remove the nut taht bolts the ground lead onto the body and it will come right off. Before you do though, let me tell you why Ford puts the hood insulator on the cars. It is not to remove heat at all. Though it may reduce the chances (Very slightly) of hood discoloration, it was not intended for that reason either. Let me bring you back to 4 years ago. I was racing at Bristol in a friends Cobra when... BAM!!! N2O backfire at about half track. The engine bay ignited and the hood was flaming. By the time that the car was pulled off the track the fire was out. I thought that the motor was shot, but believe it or not it was as good as new (once we replaced all of the components that the throttle bottle blew up). The only thing that was destroyed by the fire was the hood insulator. When the fire ignited the plastic push pins melted and the insulator fell onto the engine smothering the fire. I thought that this was just the good Lord looking over me, but after doing research and asking some very high ups at SVT, Ford, and Team Mustang I found out that the insulator was designed for just that reason. Saved my friend's motor and possibly my life. Just keep that in mind."
Gotta concur on this one. More air = bigger fire. It's not always the case where the above occurs and the car is saved. But it gives it a fighting chance. If you're concerned with IAT's and CHT's I would argue Roush vents, cut the lower side out, and then trim the hood liner to match. It'll do wonders on it's own.
Sponsored

jke0114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red
Thanks guys , I'm not far from st Augustine . Yea I thought it would be cool to not have the mustang hidden by the liner . Just didn't want it to possibly hurt the paint from the heat.
I'm not to far. located in Jacksonville. Attend any meets?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Gotta concur on this one. More air = bigger fire. It's not always the case where the above occurs and the car is saved. But it gives it a fighting chance. If you're concerned with IAT's and CHT's I would argue Roush vents, cut the lower side out, and then trim the hood liner to match. It'll do wonders on it's own.
So just drive with the insulation ON the engine at all times problem solved. AMIRITE GUY! Get the best of both worlds. Pull it off when you get to a car show and toss it in your trunk... BOOM... ya don't do that, that would be stupid as hell... LOL

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
So just drive with the insulation ON the engine at all times problem solved. AMIRITE GUY! Get the best of both worlds. Pull it off when you get to a car show and toss it in your trunk... BOOM... ya don't do that, that would be stupid as hell... LOL
:lol:

Sponsored

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
I do find it kinda shocking that they took all that effort to make that HUGE mustang logo in the hood and then just covered it up. They should have had that part exposed and the hood insulation all around it

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Or they could've embossed the Mustang logo into the heat shield itself. :thumbsup:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Or they could just make a car that doesn't catch fire.

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I had no idea there was a pony under that liner. I have a 16 so I will have the additional wires as well for the turn signals. I wonder if there is a way to keep the liner in, but cut out the oval where the pony is without it looking like crap. (as in making the cut out nice and smooth and not sag down in the middle).

Any thoughts?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I had no idea there was a pony under that liner. I have a 16 so I will have the additional wires as well for the turn signals. I wonder if there is a way to keep the liner in, but cut out the oval where the pony is without it looking like crap. (as in making the cut out nice and smooth and not sag down in the middle).

Any thoughts?
Use 3M double-sided tape if it will adhere to the insulation.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
See post number 5 on page 1, no adhesive required, the clips were spaced perfectly for.this.
Ill make it easy for you

Last edited:

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Hidden Mustang sysmbols...

When the first 2015 models came out...the Mustang on the hood was discovered. Designers hinted that there were other 'surprises' hidden within the vehicle. But I have never heard from anyone else about this. Anyone else find anything?

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
It is?

"10-20-2003
CragarShinoda

There are around 9 plastic push pins that hold it on. Past that, remove the nut taht bolts the ground lead onto the body and it will come right off. Before you do though, let me tell you why Ford puts the hood insulator on the cars. It is not to remove heat at all. Though it may reduce the chances (Very slightly) of hood discoloration, it was not intended for that reason either. Let me bring you back to 4 years ago. I was racing at Bristol in a friends Cobra when... BAM!!! N2O backfire at about half track. The engine bay ignited and the hood was flaming. By the time that the car was pulled off the track the fire was out. I thought that the motor was shot, but believe it or not it was as good as new (once we replaced all of the components that the throttle bottle blew up). The only thing that was destroyed by the fire was the hood insulator. When the fire ignited the plastic push pins melted and the insulator fell onto the engine smothering the fire. I thought that this was just the good Lord looking over me, but after doing research and asking some very high ups at SVT, Ford, and Team Mustang I found out that the insulator was designed for just that reason. Saved my friend's motor and possibly my life. Just keep that in mind."
Well damn.. Now I want to put mine back on.. but I gotta trim it up to fit. :headbonk:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I have a quick question on the 9 plastic push pins.

I am changing out my hood vents.

Are the 9 pins reusuable....or should i order 9 new ones so the hood insulation doesn't sag afterwards and fall down?

Thanks

CVCashmere

It is?

"10-20-2003
CragarShinoda

Sponsored