Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Voodoo702

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My engine blown due to oil consumption at 4600 miles. I was told by Dealership Service Mgr. that I was there 4th 2017 GT350 and more expected. My car hasn't even had its first service. After I received the bad news on May 16th they said 2 weeks for an crated engine from ford, then 2 days to put it in. Well today is the 24th and I just got the call that the 5.2 engines are back ordered until June 28th and no promises to get one then. This is unacceptable. I'm not sure what to do about this. 2+ months to get my vehicle back? Really. Anyone else experiencing this?

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
my dealer has also replaced 2 engines, 1 for excessive oil consumption and the other had 400 miles and suddenly lost oil pressure and shut off....they thought OPG failure, i saw the inside of the oil filter and it was full of bearing debris
mine at just over 1000 now is amazing, but always watching the oil pressure
I hear people saying this often, but what exactly are you watching the oil pressure for? I think the gauge on these cars is useless from a low oil pressure standpoint. If you notice no oil pressure, it's too late, the motor is already toast. I have figured out from the gauge that the oil pressure under load is extremely high until the oil temp reaches 160 degrees, so I drive like an old lady until that point, but not sure there is any benefit to that.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
My engine blown due to oil consumption at 4600 miles. I was told by Dealership Service Mgr. that I was there 4th 2017 GT350 and more expected. My car hasn't even had its first service. After I received the bad news on May 16th they said 2 weeks for an crated engine from ford, then 2 days to put it in. Well today is the 24th and I just got the call that the 5.2 engines are back ordered until June 28th and no promises to get one then. This is unacceptable. I'm not sure what to do about this. 2+ months to get my vehicle back? Really. Anyone else experiencing this?
well this is not what i wanted to hear, but thanks for the info. i was told May 21st i was getting a longblock... so i'll let you know what kind of timeline they give me. that sure is a long time without a car

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I hear people saying this often, but what exactly are you watching the oil pressure for? I think the gauge on these cars is useless from a low oil pressure standpoint. If you notice no oil pressure, it's too late, the motor is already toast. I have figured out from the gauge that the oil pressure under load is extremely high until the oil temp reaches 160 degrees, so I drive like an old lady until that point, but not sure there is any benefit to that.
I left my car start up and go through its routine cycling and then after a little movement on the temp gauge i start off... easy.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Same Here

I left my car start up and go through its routine cycling and then after a little movement on the temp gauge i start off... easy.
Ditto, FWIW! Why is the alleged Ford cost of replacement 34k? Seems pretty outlandish. If they tested the snot out of these motors before releasing to production, this would seem to be a production/supplier problem. Same thing was suspected with the old LS7. If this crap keeps up with performance cars I buy, I may need to get one of those “comfort dogs” to keep me from going postal! :p

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Ditto, FWIW! Why is the alleged Ford cost of replacement 34k? Seems pretty outlandish. If they tested the snot out of these motors before releasing to production, this would seem to be a production/supplier problem. Same thing was suspected with the old LS7. If this crap keeps up with performance cars I buy, I may need to get one of those “comfort dogs” to keep me from going postal! :p
I’d personally like to know the service history of the cars prior to laying it all on Ford. That being said, I do have genuine concern about the OPG.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
I'm starting to worry about the longevity of this motor if this many people are experiencing blown motors with 2-10k miles. Thats pretty alarming.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I'm starting to worry about the longevity of this motor if this many people are experiencing blown motors with 2-10k miles. Thats pretty alarming.
1. "this many" out of over 20K vehicles produced so far?

2. Why are you worried if you don't own one?

Gstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Gray
Just turned 1000 miles on mine and getting oil changed tomorrow. Only thing that has caught my attention is a consistent valve clatter at light throttle until it gets warmed up all the way to 200 degrees. Wonder if that is a warning sign? Time will tell.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
1. "this many" out of over 20K vehicles produced so far?

2. Why are you worried if you don't own one?

Of how many owners are on here, This is a pretty decent sample size for a 2 day old thread and with so many going with low mileage and engine parts being backordered, Thats telling aswell.

2. I'm in the market for one.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Just turned 1000 miles on mine and getting oil changed tomorrow. Only thing that has caught my attention is a consistent valve clatter at light throttle until it gets warmed up all the way to 200 degrees. Wonder if that is a warning sign? Time will tell.
Thsose symptoms are consistent with piston slap when engine is cold. Like others have stated, keep revs low until engine oil warms up past 180. My old M3 had an oil temp warning light, and would progressively step up to the proper light which allowed free spirited driving after the oil warmed up. Thought that was a cool idea.

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thsose symptoms are consistent with piston slap when engine is cold. Like others have stated, keep revs low until engine oil warms up past 180. My old M3 had an oil temp warning light, and would progressively step up to the proper light which allowed free spirited driving after the oil warmed up. Thought that was a cool idea.
My car is doing this even when the engine is up to temp. Doesn't matter how long I've been driving it, and it seems to happen in any gear and when doing any acceleration (can't notice it at wide-open throttle though due to engine/exhaust noise). I wonder if I'm having something other than piston slap?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The cam chains make some noise that is a characteristic of the Voodoo engine (also the Coyote). It's a mechanical ticking/clicking noise most noticeable when the engine is cold.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yes, mine does this....and even when the oil temps are up, but the car has not been under load, the sound starts to come back. It's how the engine is setup - loose. I find that I lean on it a little bit to keep it under load (while not revving the piss out of it) gets the pistons up to temp (expanded) even before the oil temp gets over 200..and the noise subsides.

The cam chains make some noise that is a characteristic of the Voodoo engine (also the Coyote). It's a mechanical ticking/clicking noise most noticeable when the engine is cold.
I know we've had this disagreement before - but IME, cam chains do not make noise...at least not the noise we are referring to as piston slap - and so far, every 350 I've heard has this characteristic.

OP
OP
S550VIN54

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I had identical experience to yours. 2017 LB gt350, needing a new engine at 7k miles.. weird.
What is your build date? Mine just turned 6300 miles and the build date is 08/16. After about 2k miles the oil level on the stick is at the bottom hole.