Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone heard anything lately? What are your honest opinions on the outcome and potential settlement?
No I haven't heard anything lately, mainly because it's not an issue for me.

Honestly I don't think the case will make it to court. Yes FoMoCo said it's "track capable" but that doesn't seem specific enough to me to warrant a trial. Now if the marketing read "2.6mi track in 105F and we f*****g guarantee you'll make it through a 20min session" then yeah, a little more to go on.

IMO the main problem with this fiasco is the solution from Ford (adding coolers) would void the warranty. If the warranty could have been left intact after the customer PAID for the coolers (remember, a 17 w/electronics pkg costs ~+#3k more than a 16 tech); problem solved. It isn't, so here we are.

Just my .02
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
No I haven't heard anything lately, mainly because it's not an issue for me.

Honestly I don't think the case will make it to court. Yes FoMoCo said it's "track capable" but that doesn't seem specific enough to me to warrant a trial. Now if the marketing read "2.6mi track in 105F and we f*****g guarantee you'll make it through a 20min session" then yeah, a little more to go on.

IMO the main problem with this fiasco is the solution from Ford (adding coolers) would void the warranty. If the warranty could have been left intact after the customer PAID for the coolers (remember, a 17 w/electronics pkg costs ~+#3k more than a 16 tech); problem solved. It isn't, so here we are.

Just my .02
I would never have sold my GT350 Tech Pack if it would not have voided the warranty. It would have cost close to $8k or more with the labor. I was going to suck it up and pay it. I didn't care. But to lose the warranty, that is like being married and having no money and no sex.... I can do without one or the other but not both.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Actually, if you look at the numbers, those with a 2017 Elec. pack were kind of ripped off. The Conv. pack folks got a better deal, IMO.

2016 Track pack: 47,795 + 6,500 = 54,295
2016 Tech pack: 47,795 + 7,500 = 55,295
2017 Elec pack: 54,295 + 3000 = 57,295
2017 Conv pack: 54,295 + 3000 = 57,295

So, the Conv pack costs 2K more than the Tech Pack - for your money you got the 2 coolers, aluminum strut brace and rear spoiler. Seems reasonable for 2K

The Elec pack costs 3K more than the Track Pack - for this you got upgraded electronics, dual climate control and some extra trim. Seems like a rip-off, for 3 grand.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, if you look at the numbers, those with a 2017 Elec. pack were kind of ripped off. The Conv. pack folks got a better deal, IMO.

So, the Conv pack costs 2K more than the Tech Pack - for your money you got the 2 coolers, aluminum strut brace and rear spoiler. Seems reasonable for 2K

The Elec pack costs 3K more than the Track Pack - for this you got upgraded electronics, dual climate control and some extra trim. Seems like a rip-off, for 3 grand.
WAT!?!?

Time to start another lawsuit...:headbonk:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd honestly like to know -

for those that purchased the tech package, but were dissatisfied with the on track performance..

Did you expect your vehicles to perform the same as the track package? What was the expectation, on track, given the knowledge your car didn't have the coolers that the track package does?

I'm not trying to be smart ass, at all - I'm just genuinely trying to understand what the expectation was. Why? Curiosity.. and it seems a bit unfair to owners that purchased a track package car... if your car is supposed to perform just as well on track as their car --- but their car specifically has the package to allow it to do so and yours specifically does not.
Your post seems genuine, so even though this has been answered multiple times in the past I will do it again. I personally thought that the tech pack cars would have trouble in 85F or higher temperatures, but not on a relatively cool day. I live in a northern tier state so I can easily limit my track days to times of the year where it will be in the 70s or cooler. I also thought that if an owner were trying to run an all day event there might be an issue. I wasn't planning to do that. I ALSO thought that a pro driver would tend to have more of an issue with heat than a novice like myself who has only run at a hand full of track days.

I didn't think that 5 minutes on a 55F day would be sufficient to trigger limp mode, especially with a novice driving and not pushing the car anywhere near its limits. The year before I ran a base Mustang GT on the same track and at similar temperatures with no problems whatsoever. That and the fact that the GT350 was advertised as the "most track capable Mustang ever" made me believe that it would not have a problem unless ambient temps were high, it was professionally driven, or the time on track was extended beyond a short 20 minute session.

I thought I would be able to add cooling without voiding any warranties. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to add cooling than to switch out seats. I thought a really long time about which model to select. I didn't care about the tech screens or heated/cooled seats or any of that garbage. I just assumed I would be very uncomfortable in the Recaros. I'm too wide for any of the Ford Recaros I've tried. So, I'm definitely a person who always intended to take my GT350 to the track, but the advertising from Ford tricked me into thinking the tech pack would be ok for my use.

3. Has ANYONE with a Tech Pack car limped in traffic? I'm being serious, raise your hands. And I'm not talking about almost, I mean your shit literally lit up like a christmas tree and you had a limp mode wrench light blaring in your face.
My hand is raised. I did it deliberately on a 95F degree day. It just takes high RPM and regular bursts of acceleration. Nothing too difficult to do without breaking any traffic laws.

I certainly wouldn't deny any persons experiences, but I'd be interested in learning how a transmission, not transmitting much in the way of torque and power (normal stop/go & traffic conditions), could overheat. On a race track, when maybe 50% or more of the time full throttle power is being transmitted, I can see high levels of heat building - not so much in normal driving conditions.
I think even the track pack transmission could be overheated in extremely slow moving traffic on a hot day. Cooling for the transmission depends on air movement over the little radiator and you don't get that unless you are moving over 20 mph. I've seen the transmission temperature rise very quickly on a hot day in mostly stopped traffic. I know there was a guy from Chicago who had limp mode engage during a very long traffic jam. He posted on here a few times and a lot of people said they didn't believe him.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I don't recall a BOSS 302 lawsuit. I do recall alot of marketing and hype for a factory race car that certainly needed alot of prep for track use

from the manual:
TRACK PREPARATION
The Boss 302 and Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition have been rigorously
proven out on race tracks. Below are recommendations for optimizing
your Boss 302 for a track day event.
• For optimal performance, premium fuel is recommended.
• Change brake fluid to Super DOT 4 to improve track performance of
braking system (WSS-M6C65-A2), Ford part number (YS4Z-19542-
AA).
• Install Ford Racing front brake cooling kit (M-2004-MB) to improve
brake cooling (standard on Laguna Seca edition).
• Remove rear brake dust shields to improve brake cooling.
• Install Ford Racing transmission cooling scoop (M-5025-MBR) to
improve transmission cooling (standard on Laguna Seca edition).
• During extended track sessions in extreme temperatures or
conditions, your Boss 302 may require additional engine cooling
actions. If the water temperature warning light illuminates, return to
the paddock and let the vehicle return to normal operating
temperature while idling before turning the engine off. Prior to the
next session, remove the round fog light delete covers from the upper
grille. This wi ll allow more cooling air to the radiator and allow the
car to run extended sessions in extreme heat. Visit fordracing.com for
additional parts to further enhance the powertrain cooling on your
Boss 302.
• For extended track use, Ford recommends installing a rear differential
cooler to improve rear axle cooling.
• The Ford Racing front splitter kit (M-16601P-MBA, standard on
Laguna Seca edition) can be installed to improve high-speed vehicle
stability and handling. If the Ford Racing front splitter kit will be
installed on a Boss 302 without the Laguna Seca package, Ford
recommends installing the Laguna Seca edition rear spoiler in place
of the standard rear spoiler to maintain aerodynamic balance. The
unique lower grille from the Laguna Seca edition should also be
installed to accommodate the splitter support rods. This front splitter
is intended for race track use only and is not legal for on-street
driving. It may degrade crash performance and void the vehicle
warranty. The front splitter must be installed by the customer.
Track Use Preparation
• For track sessions, it is recommended to run 41 psi (283 kPa) hot for
the original equipment manufacturer tires, front and rear.
• Depending on track temperature, ambient temperature and driving
style, you may need to reduce the starting tire pressure by as
much as 4 psi (27 kPa).
• The starting pressure may be lower in the rear tires relative to the
front tires to achieve 41 psi (283 kPa) hot.
• Reset tire pressures to placard recommended pressures before
leaving the track.
• For improved track performance, Ford recommends ,
available through Ford Racing. See your local Ford dealer or go to
http://www.trackey.ford.com for more information (M-14204-MBTKA).
• Your Boss 302 is equipped from the factory with Brembo 4-piston
front calipers and unique, high-performance rear brake pads that will
provide excellent performance under normal driving conditions. Ford
recommends the following bedding procedure for race track driving be
followed.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think even the track pack transmission could be overheated in extremely slow moving traffic on a hot day. Cooling for the transmission depends on air movement over the little radiator and you don't get that unless you are moving over 20 mph. I've seen the transmission temperature rise very quickly on a hot day in mostly stopped traffic. I know there was a guy from Chicago who had limp mode engage during a very long traffic jam. He posted on here a few times and a lot of people said they didn't believe him.
Can I ask what source is generating the heat which is raising the temperature of the trans in a traffic jam?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are you sure you drive a gt350?
Considering I'm one of the very few who actually broke his car in correctly on this corner of the web, I'm pretty sure. Would you like to see my title and registration too? Prick.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My oil/water temps can climb at an alarming rate in stand still on a hot muggy day, I've seen as bad as 250'ish just sitting there. However there's nothing wrong with the Voodoo running in the 250 - 260 range. At least with the Track Pack oil cooler it will often hit that but they just stay around there. On my autocross runs, which don't have nearly the airflow at 120 - 150 MPH on a road course, I routinely hit 252 on a HOT day and autocross as we know is lots of revs and not a lot of speed. I haven't seen my trans temps get too bad in stand still but as you said, without air flow coolers or not, you're baking the components. Could be coincidence that I just wasn't paying attention though at that time.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Can I ask what source is generating the heat which is raising the temperature of the trans in a traffic jam?
Honestly probably from the block just getting cooked underneath that, in my opinion Track Pack car in the garage or not, inadequately ventilated hood.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid

I am no GT350 options expert, but the 2017 electronics pkg comes with the coolers, strut brace and spoiler in addition to the other features you mentioned.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I have experienced limp mode on the street. I live in the high desert area in Southern California. Or at least I did. Having recently installed a track pack cooler and transmission I am amazed how much cooler the transmission stays under all conditions now. Although I only hit limp mode once, watching the temp via the Forscan hack showed it flirted with limp mode almost daily. I'm sure that's why Furd deleted the temp gauge from the tech packs. It is alarming how hot the trans ran under normal conditions.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm sure your brain works just as well as mine, but I will pretend this isn't a rhetorical question. Obviously there isn't heat being generated by the transmission if the car isn't moving. However, the engine, air conditioning and exhaust are all quite warm on a hot day. They are also close to the transmission. My assumption is that convection, radiation and conduction from those heat sources all play a part.

Bottom line is - I don't have to know the cause to be able to read the transmission temperature off the dash display and see that the transmission temperature is spiking quickly when it's hot and the car is running but not moving.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is correct; the Base 2017 also gets the coolers, aluminum bar and spoiler. The $3K Elec. Pack gets and upgraded radio, dual zone CC and trim bits.
Sponsored