Sponsored

How to fix your bumper gap (easy way)

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Dealer wasn't a choice for me with the tsp. I knew they will make it worst or damage something else. I took off to bumper and followed the DIY and didn't work out well. In the process of doing it I broke the Rear inner bumper tab under the deck lid. Thank God you can't even see it and it doesn't leave a gap or anything. The bumper and the brackets on these cars are so fragile.

Anyways,

What you need to do is take off the tail lights and you have to drill a small hole on the corner of the bumper under the the tail light.

You need 2 screw with a nice flat top and wide diameter head. ( I used whatever I had)
Also need 2 u nuts.

Push the bumper in as much as you can and close the gap. While holding it drill small hole on the corner through the bumper and the black color bracket under it. After, slide the u nut on the black bracket and while pushing/ holding the bumper to close the gap, put the screw in and tighten.

Again, is up to you if you want to do this but I guarantee you this is the best method to fix your gap and is the easiest way to do it just take off your tail light and shouldn't take more than 30 min.
IMG_20180531_201325-1280x960.jpg
IMG_20180531_201346-1280x960.jpg
IMG_20180531_211756-1280x960.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
That's cool I also have a gap in that location of been putting off for sometime now Thanx for the input !

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Dealer wasn't a choice for me with the tsp. I knew they will make it worst or damage something else. I took off to bumper and followed the DIY and didn't work out well. In the process of doing it I broke the Rear inner bumper tab under the deck lid. Thank God you can't even see it and it doesn't leave a gap or anything. The bumper and the brackets on these cars are so fragile.

Anyways,

What you need to do is take off the tail lights and you have to drill a small hole on the corner of the bumper under the the tail light.

You need 2 screw with a nice flat top and wide diameter head. ( I used whatever I had)
Also need 2 u nuts.

Push the bumper in as much as you can and close the gap. While holding it drill small hole on the corner through the bumper and the black color bracket under it. After, slide the u nut on the black bracket and while pushing/ holding the bumper to close the gap, put the screw in and tighten.

Again, is up to you if you want to do this but I guarantee you this is the best method to fix your gap and is the easiest way to do it just take off your tail light and shouldn't take more than 30 min.
I like it! Similar to what another member posted a while back just a different location. My only concern is edge distance. From the image it looks like the screw is really close to the edge of the bumper which at some point could fail as the plastic stretches or tears. finished product looks awesome!

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You can use a longer u nut but it won't fail as long as you use a screw with a wide diameter head like a truss head screw. The actual head would be holding the bumper. You can even add a larger thin nylon washer for more reinforcement and you won't be able to see it at all when you install the tail lights.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
You can use a longer u nut but it won't fail as long as you use a screw with a wide diameter head like a truss head screw. The actual head would be holding the bumper. You can even add a larger thin nylon washer for more reinforcement and you won't be able to see it at all when you install the tail lights.
Good point.

Sponsored

rushca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Oxford White OTT
Nice fix, you would think Ford could have done something similar.,..

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Sometimes I wonder if the actual engineers get involved in TSBs, especially the bumper TSB. :shrug:
Well there do have to be some jobs for the summer interns. ;)

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

Anyways,

Also need 2 u nuts.

What is the third picture of? I am curious of the weight of the bumper will tear the plastic over time.

Last edited:

tjbrowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R -HR773
I may try this. If over time the plastic tears, I would imagine you would be no worse off than from where you started since the tear would hidden.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
What is the third picture off? I am curious of the weight of the bumper will tear the plastic over time.
The weight of the bumper is not supported by only one screw. You be surprised how strong the screw is holding the bumper. But you have to use a u nut.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I may try this. If over time the plastic tears, I would imagine you would be no worse off than from where you started since the tear would hidden.
The black plastic under the bumper is a strong matrial. When you use a u nut and the correct screw with a wider nylon washer the bumper will not budge at all unless you purposely push the corner of bumper down extremely hard or get in a accident it will not move. Try it and you be amazed how strong the u nut and screw hold the bumper. I even tried pulling it down pretty hard and it wouldn't even move.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Maybe a way to reinforce the material where the screw attaches to the bumper? Looking forward to the pics

tjbrowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R -HR773
The black plastic under the bumper is a strong matrial. When you use a u nut and the correct screw with a wider nylon washer the bumper will not budge at all unless you purposely push the corner of bumper down extremely hard or get in a accident it will not move. Try it and you be amazed how strong the u nut and screw hold the bumper. I even tried pulling it down pretty hard and it wouldn't even move.

Roger that
Sponsored