Car turning off while driving

kev_sliver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Hey wondering if this has happened to anyone. I have a 2018 gt a10 fbo e85 Today I was driving and at like 10mph the car turned off and said put in neutral to start car . I don’t have rough idle or anything car pulls fine and drives fine . Wondering if anyone has an idea.
Sponsored

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
Just happened the one time?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@kev_sliver5.0

It could be 1 of 3 things that are most common for that type of failure:

1) Since you have a 2018, if the original TB was never replaced under the TSB, you *might* have a chance of getting the repair done under the TSB. You would have to call your local Ford Dealer and inquire if they can do it with no out of pocket expense to you or not.

If your S550 has engine mods or aftermarket tune, then you might be declined the TSB repair.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-19-5-0-throttle-body-replacement-18b34.115976/

2) Also check to make sure that the brake pedal bumper (or clutch pedal bumper with MT82s) didn’t fall apart which affects drivability. See below thread which contains many images, DIY and the recently released official NHTSA docs near end of thread. Even though Ford states in the docs it affects 2015's clutch pedal bumper AND brake pedal bumper, , there's many threads on here where members have posted other model years where the problem exists.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-light-switch-near-pedal-failure.122100/

3) Check this thread regarding the deterioration of the 10R80 shifter clip that will prevent the shifter from going into P or S and could throw other error messages:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-broken-shifter-clip.171702/#post-3483628

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I have had this happen. My 2020 has Ford Racing tune/CAI, a few other things that shouldn't affect the reliability. I was sitting in stop and go traffic and it shut off. No signs of overheating but I was definitely not moving faster than 10mph. It just quit and the dash lit up with warning lights. It restarted right away but it went into a limp mode. I pulled over, popped the hood and let it sit before calling for a tow truck. 15 minutes or so later, it started up and ran normally. The computer was showing some fault codes including something related to a fault with the active shutters (base model GTs have these, I guess) and the tech thought that was the most likely culprit...not sure why. In any case, it was a one time deal. The car has ~3000 miles on it since with no problems.

So I have no idea if our situations are similar but at the least, I suggest pulling the codes. It sounds like you probably have a device that can do this. If not, Autozone, etc. will usually do this for you free of charge.

OP
OP

kev_sliver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
I have had this happen. My 2020 has Ford Racing tune/CAI, a few other things that shouldn't affect the reliability. I was sitting in stop and go traffic and it shut off. No signs of overheating but I was definitely not moving faster than 10mph. It just quit and the dash lit up with warning lights. It restarted right away but it went into a limp mode. I pulled over, popped the hood and let it sit before calling for a tow truck. 15 minutes or so later, it started up and ran normally. The computer was showing some fault codes including something related to a fault with the active shutters (base model GTs have these, I guess) and the tech thought that was the most likely culprit...not sure why. In any case, it was a one time deal. The car has ~3000 miles on it since with no problems.

So I have no idea if our situations are similar but at the least, I suggest pulling the codes. It sounds like you probably have a device that can do this. If not, Autozone, etc. will usually do this for you free of charge.
Yeah mine started up fine. It didn’t go into limp mode . I pulled the codes and I had noting . Hasn’t happened again . I drove 6 hours yesterday. S

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Yeah mine started up fine. It didn’t go into limp mode . I pulled the codes and I had noting . Hasn’t happened again . I drove 6 hours yesterday. S
Hopefully you're out of the woods then.
I'm surprised that you had no codes at all though, especially if this event was recent. Who's E58 tune are you running? Do you ever collect datalogs?

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650

My 21 had FP tune on it, and had the same happen, but at ~40mph. Car just shut off completely. Pushed the clutch, and started it right back up while still moving. Only difference was it had zero codes. Never happened again so I chalked it up as a fluke.

OP
OP

kev_sliver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Hopefully you're out of the woods then.
I'm surprised that you had no codes at all though, especially if this event was recent. Who's E58 tune are you running? Do you ever collect datalogs?
I’m lund tuned and no I didn’t hasn’t happened again
Sponsored