Sponsored

Motorweek Car of the year! Loved my S550’s but S650 not so bad after all.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
That is the most articulate reason for not liking it I’ve heard so far. Everyone else just says “it’s an iPad jammed into the dash” and little else, which, frankly… get over it. Your argument on the other hand is well said.
Thanks, it was more of a brain dump than anything else, please take it with a grain of salt :). I could probably write an article on the ipads in cars subject, but long story short, the centerpiece of mustang is a drivetrain, that is what ford knows how to do well, and that is what they should have focused on in my opinion. Instead, them trying to play tesla game is not going to be a win, they are not SW startup mindset.

I mean......, I have a hyundai that is half the price of my s550 (let alone DH), how hard was it to put that information on one screen in a mustang:
ElantraN-52-scaled.jpg

And then give users a choice to customize second screen with widgets and settings any way they want:
1026807.jpg
img_004.jpg

It's a freakin' Elantra! And they did much much better job of integrating all that high tech stuff into interior design several years ago with no marketing drama. This is literally all I need when I hammer this 4 door economy sedan hard at Watkins Glen for 45 minutes non-stop. I couldn't care less about unreal engine graphics, I have that kind of stuff in Gran Turismo 7 on my PS5. I don't need another console in my car.

With all that in mind, I did a 10 minute drive in my mustang today for the first time in 3 months, and I'm still smiling 5 hours later. I couldn't care less about the screens during this short drive, just the sound of engine, rowing gears and the best doze of automotive happiness one could get. S650 can still give that same feeling, no question there. It's just bloated with unnecessary stuff, at least for my taste.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I wish I felt most people were being sarcastic but there is a lot of, what I believe is, genuine hate. All that being said I agree they made some decisions I certainly wouldn’t have, but I can’t be mad at a 2024 V8 rear wheel drive 2-door. It’s creeping up to 500hp for the GT. Thats an amazing thing, ugly iPad dashboard or not…
Who cares what anyone else thinks. I really don‘t understand why so many are so obsessed with what other people think. If you enjoy something why do you need others to validate it and get insulted as a result of a different opinion?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Here is me sliding through a fluid spill in the esses at WGI. I was able to do full split second analysis of what I was doing with steering, brakes, throttle in that moment, I have a full logging of the temps, tire pressures and everything I need at any other point in time when I'm on track, just by mounting a gopro camera.
Screenshot_20240210-221630~3.png

What can I monitor in a mustang? Freakin alternator current 🤡 . Did Ford ask me or any other enthusiast about what we want to see on those screens? No, they did a tiktok focus group and pulled off that youtube moron. That is what pisses me off and why I am so sarcastic about s650.

Last edited:

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks, it was more of a brain dump than anything else, please take it with a grain of salt :). I could probably write an article on the ipads in cars subject, but long story short, the centerpiece of mustang is a drivetrain, that is what ford knows how to do well, and that is what they should have focused on in my opinion. Instead, them trying to play tesla game is not going to be a win, they are not SW startup mindset.

I mean......, I have a hyundai that is half the price of my s550 (let alone DH), how hard was it to put that information on one screen in a mustang:
ElantraN-52-scaled.jpg

And then give users a choice to customize second screen with widgets and settings any way they want:
1026807.jpg
img_004.jpg

It's a freakin' Elantra! And they did much much better job of integrating all that high tech stuff into interior design several years ago with no marketing drama. This is literally all I need when I hammer this 4 door economy sedan hard at Watkins Glen for 45 minutes non-stop. I couldn't care less about unreal engine graphics, I have that kind of stuff in Gran Turismo 7 on my PS5. I don't need another console in my car.

With all that in mind, I did a 10 minute drive in my mustang today for the first time in 3 months, and I'm still smiling 5 hours later. I couldn't care less about the screens during this short drive, just the sound of engine, rowing gears and the best doze of automotive happiness one could get. S650 can still give that same feeling, no question there. It's just bloated with unnecessary stuff, at least for my taste.
I completely agree that the focus should have been drivetrain, but I think Ford wanted to keep up with the Johnson’s (idk why). Major changes/improvements to the drivetrain are very expensive and the dash isn’t (based on my “don’t know $hit” knowledge of vehicle development). All that being said, the S650 is guaranteed to put the same smile on your face as the S550.

My GT has analog gauges and the tiny screen cause I don’t give a crap about digital fancy shit. I much prefer the exhaust note to the radio…

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Who cares what anyone else thinks. I really don‘t understand why so many are so obsessed with what other people think. If you enjoy something why do you need others to validate it and get insulted as a result of a different opinion?
It’s not really that I care, more that I’m on a Mustang forum to talk with and share opinions about Mustangs. No one at work knows anything about cars, my wife doesn’t wanna talk about them anymore, my kids are too young to REALLY get into it…

Sponsored

OP
OP
EgoBoost

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
As for the iPads, I’ve owned about 12 S550’s and never cared if they were 300A, 301A, 400A, or 401A. But I will say this, getting into my son’s car tonight, his 8” screen now looks like the 4” calculator screen compared to my 650 screens.

Like most other features (both good and bad), you quickly adapt to them and they no longer stick out. I actually forget they are there since I’m so focused on the feel and sound of the car (and returning the thumbs up I receive).

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Everyone else just says “it’s an iPad jammed into the dash” and little else, which, frankly… get over it.
There is no reason to change the way someone feels about the S650.
I have the Bullitt because it appeals to me with almost everything. There are a few things I don't like about it, but it's not a deal breaker.
With the S650, almost everything is a deal breaker.
They didn't even get the little things right, like finally offering the Recaros with heating and ventilation.

Btw. you can see how to do a digital dash right, when you take a look into a recent 911, Corvette, Nissan Z...
If the dashboard in a Japanese kei car looks almost exactly like the one in a V8 sports coupé, then you know that either a kei car must be a great thing, or that your sport coupé is not so great.
The whole thing is just loveless in the S650, as if it was made and decided by someone who has little love for the Mustang.

PS: I think similarly about the C8.
It may be a great sports car, but it has betrayed the DNA of a Corvette.
It could have been placed above a Corvette, similar to what Ford did with the GT40, but a C8 is not the equivalent of a ... C5, C6, C7.
...and a Charger as a 4-door sedan, just no!
People who don't care about tradition, heritage and consistency do 💩 like that.
See also the electric Ford Escape, which is called the Mustang Mach-E. For the Mach1 they spin a new name without context, but they can't think of anything better for that electric SUV?
I'm sticking with it, eat 💩 Ford, and kick out the incompetent staff.

Last edited:

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
I won't get into the styling aspects of the new mustang because I don't really care, some will like, some won't. However, I'm in agreement with almost every top flight car reviewer in existence with respect to touch screens being more difficult to use than simple knobs and buttons. Almost no one wants touch screens in cars and that is where things start to feel much more objective. So analog controls are better in most people's opinions which is a strike against the s650. The steering is too light (I've test driven two, one base, one premium), another strike against the s650. It still has the MT82 and a coyote engine which leaves one reason to buy the s650, and that is because you want a new Mustang and might prefer the exterior aesthetics. It is definitely good the Mustang lives on but I don't see myself ever owning an s650. There simply isn't a way to justify the extra expense.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
There is no reason to change the way someone feels about the S650.
I have the Bullitt because it appeals to me with almost everything. There are a few things I don't like about it, but it's not a deal breaker.
With the S650, almost everything is a deal breaker.
They didn't even get the little things right, like finally offering the Recaros with heating and ventilation.

Btw. you can see how to do a digital dash right, when you take a look into a recent 911, Corvette, Nissan Z...
If the dashboard in a Japanese kei car looks almost exactly like the one in a V8 sports coupé, then you know that either a kei car must be a great thing, or that your sport coupé is not so great.
The whole thing is just loveless in the S650, as if it was made and decided by someone who has little love for the Mustang.

PS: I think similarly about the C8.
It may be a great sports car, but it has betrayed the DNA of a Corvette.
It could have been placed above a Corvette, similar to what Ford did with the GT40, but a C8 is not the equivalent of a ... C5, C6, C7.
...and a Charger as a 4-door sedan, just no!
People who don't care about tradition, heritage and consistency do 💩 like that.
See also the electric Ford Escape, which is called the Mustang Mach-E. For the Mach1 they spin a new name without context, but they can't think of anything better for that electric SUV?
I'm sticking with it, eat 💩 Ford, and kick out the incompetent staff.
I’m not trying to change anyone’s opinion, it doesn’t matter that much to me… I am more interested in discussing cars. Frankly, the overwhelming hate for that car is crazy to me. Camaro is gone, Charger is even worse… and Ford gave us another iteration of the V8 rear wheel drive two door… and it’s met with a ton of hate. It’s crazy to me. Why can’t we appreciate that we were given another fun V8 instead of whining about nonsense? I couldn’t care less about the iPad thing, I didn’t buy a V8 for a fancy dash. Most importantly, I guarantee you get in one and stomp the gas, you’re going to smile.

As for the Corvette, I agree they ditched the corvette heritage but that car is an absolute marvel. The things they did at the price range they’re at is insane. It’s good enough to make me not care about the corvette heritage. Maybe the best thing they can do for heritage is make an American car that stomps Euros for 1/2 the price…

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
To me, looking at it in its totality, the S650 various elements of its design look as though it was designed with childrens input on bring your kid to work day.
I still like it, and I would buy one if it was all that were available, but just my worthless opinion. In all seriousness, It’s just designed for a different market.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
It’s good enough to make me not care
My thinking is different.
Porsche shows how to do it right with the 911.
Sure, it has become a fat pig, but they have never lost track of where the 911 came from and what needs it has to fulfill. Even if the toad with the water cooling had to be swallowed, the original concept was never abandoned despite its disadvantages.
Corvette and Mustang are comparable icons for me, so I would like to see a similar approach to these vehicle.
Icons must be developed carefully, there must be no radical break.
The 911 of today still reminds me of the 911 of my childhood days, and until recently the Corvette was also like that (C4 C7).
The legacy of the Corvette has been betrayed.
With the Mustang it feels similar to me, something trendy has taken precedence over a more sensitive evolution.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My thinking is different.
Porsche shows how to do it right with the 911.
Sure, it has become a fat pig, but they have never lost track of where the 911 came from and what needs it has to fulfill. Even if the toad with the water cooling had to be swallowed, the original concept was never abandoned despite its disadvantages.
Corvette and Mustang are comparable icons for me, so I would like to see a similar approach to these vehicle.
Icons must be developed carefully, there must be no radical break.
The 911 of today still reminds me of the 911 of my childhood days, and until recently the Corvette was also like that (C4 C7).
The legacy of the Corvette has been betrayed.
With the Mustang it feels similar to me, something trendy has taken precedence over a more sensitive evolution.
You’re very correct in that, the 911 is somehow the exact same and totally different today. They’ve done incredible to keep their iconic styling. Wonder if they could have done that with the corvette or if they left the old behind on purpose?

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Wonder if they could have done that with the corvette or if they left the old behind on purpose?
That would have been possible with the Corvette too, or it would have been discontinued and the new, magnificent mid-engined sports car given a different name.
Marketing doesn't want that – of course – and it was because of people like them that something like a Mustang 🤬 Mach-E is possible.
It takes a lot of brainpower to come up with a new sports car name when you've only ever had Camaro and Corvette, but the new model follows a different concept.
Dark Horse is proof that even a new name for a model's equipment line can quickly become embarrassing, whereas the Mustang Mach-E for an electric Escape is a symptom of a lack of ideas.

Last edited:

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That would have been possible with the Corvette too, or it would have been discontinued and the new, magnificent C8 mid-engined sports car given a different name.
Marketing doesn't want that – of course 😤 – and it was because of people like them that something like a Mustang Mach-E was possible.
I literally typed out they should have named it something else and then thought, yeah right, marketing wouldn’t ever allow that, and deleted it 😂. I used to work PR, kind of like marketing’s cousin? Point being is you’re very right, they’d never let it be called something else.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Don't forget, we're performance car people; it's our nature to argue about cars. It was that way in my high school drafting class back in 1970, and that's the way it is here now.

Everyone has made some good points to think on.
I hate the touch screens in my Edge and Mustang. More than once I've started to leave my lane trying to adjust the climate controls. Instead of reaching for a knob or lever that I can see in my peripheral vision and adjust by feel; I have to look for an icon on a screen, tap it (often more than once) to get to the right screen. Then find the icon I want and tap, or touch the screen again to get what I want, and I have to take my eyes off the road to do it. To matters worse, the screens between my Edge and Mustang are nothing alike. Throw in a clutch and a shifter and it can interesting in a bad way.
Maybe the 2 big screens are easier to deal with, but I don't see how they could become much of an improvement.

I hope the Mustang, now that it has limited competition, doesn't become the Thunderbird. The Thunderbird was a 2 seat coup that was in direct competition with the Corvette. However Ford started concentrating on comfort and luxury until they added a back seat and turned the Thunderbird into a sedan. Now that's scary.
Sponsored