Sponsored

Motorweek Car of the year! Loved my S550’s but S650 not so bad after all.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Reviewers are paid shills, who are required to parrot corporate talking points. And the 650 tablet extravaganza is identical to the one in the new k5.

Glued on tablets aside the styling is revolting. I mean just look at this rear wing. Did someone do an inlay coffee table in shop class and think let's do that on mustang?

IMG_20240113_112359566.jpg
In some ways, It looks like they let children in on the design meetings. But they know their market I suppose. Just imagine how many single dashboard parts the screens replaced. They probably saved a fortune and increased the price. From a company perspective it’s a good move, unless it ends up costing sales. Still wonder how many 2024 Mustangs have sold.
Sponsored

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
Saw a red S650 at a stop light yesterday, must've been a GT PP/AE. It sounded real good, even the rear end looked decent with the spoiler.

Ironically, I was in my Nissan Altima on my way to the storage to swap it with the GT350R.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’m starting to see more S650 on the roads here. I like the exterior, headlights are my biggest gripe but I could live with them. I’m curious what a mid cycle refresh will look like and if they integrate the screens better. I’ve said it before, if I didn’t have my S550 and wanted a brand new Mustang, I’d have no hesitation in buying an S650. I would pay up for the premium, the single screen is more appealing than the separate tablets in the base cars.

I don’t mind the spoilers at all, I actually think they look good. Especially the DH. The name is still stupid but the DH does look badass. I just think used S550 GT500 $$ for a 500hp DH with handling pack is not the best value. But that’s just my opinion. I haven’t driven one but by all accounts it’s really good.

OP
OP
EgoBoost

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Saw a red S650 at a stop light yesterday, must've been a GT PP/AE. It sounded real good, even the rear end looked decent with the spoiler…
that’s my spec…GT-PP-AE
W/Steeda H-pipe. It sounds sick in track mode…pops/backfires on s650’s. I have spoiler delete for now.

IMG_2087.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

Sponsored

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The S650 hate is interesting to me. I’ve seen a ton on the road now, there’s a red GT I see almost every day. The car looks good and sounds great. It’s a V8 rear wheel drive two door (with optional stick shift) in a world of Dodge releasing (potentially) all electric Chargers. I can see why the s650 isn’t worth selling your s550 over, but all the negatives and hatred is crazy. Ford gave the world one more of something no one else would, and it’s met by supposed car enthusiasts with hatred and boos…

Last edited:

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
The S650 hate is interesting to me
It's not hate, it's sarcasm :). It's because we care what Mustang is, and a lot of this community thinks that Ford pushed it in a wrong direction. What they've done is infinitely better than what Dodge and Chevy have done with theirs no question here.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It's not hate, it's sarcasm :). It's because we care what Mustang is, and a lot of this community thinks that Ford pushed it in a wrong direction. What they've done is infinitely better than what Dodge and Chevy have done with theirs no question here.
I wish I felt most people were being sarcastic but there is a lot of, what I believe is, genuine hate. All that being said I agree they made some decisions I certainly wouldn’t have, but I can’t be mad at a 2024 V8 rear wheel drive 2-door. It’s creeping up to 500hp for the GT. Thats an amazing thing, ugly iPad dashboard or not…

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
I've seen 1 so far. It's fine, its problem is that it seems like an amalgam of an Accord with the headlights and a Camaro with the side profile.. whereas the 550 is unmistakably Mustang. If im being honest i didn't like the 550 either after the facelifted S197s, it's a lot busier of a design.

The rear of the 550 looks better because of the black garnish, which IMO the s650 desperately needs, and the front has too much plastic cladding versus the 550, interested to see what they change in a facelift in a few years.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I wish I felt most people were being sarcastic but there is a lot of, what I believe is, genuine hate. All that being said I agree they made some decisions I certainly wouldn’t have, but I can’t be mad at a 2024 V8 rear wheel drive 2-door. It’s creeping up to 500hp for the GT. Thats an amazing thing, ugly iPad dashboard or not…
I certainly can speak only for myself, I don't hate s650, it is one of the best mass produced US cars left. To me, hate is the level of reaction you see here about Mach E. As far as s650, people here mostly point out overinflated pricing, questionabe design decisions inside and outside, as well as the fact that if you shake off all those plasticky bits, you will find the same old good s550.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I certainly can speak only for myself, I don't hate s650, it is one of the best mass produced US cars left. To me, hate is the level of reaction you see here about Mach E. As far as s650, people here mostly point out overinflated pricing, questionabe design decisions inside and outside, as well as the fact that if you shake off all those plasticky bits, you will find the same old good s550.
You are 100% correct about all of that.

Side note, curious what you think about the “iPad” cluster… I’ve seen a few cars with that and when you’re sitting in the car it’s nowhere near as bad as the pictures they show. Generally speaking it only looks like an iPad jammed into the dash when you’re in a non-natural position.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I love my S550 and I don't understand all the hate for the S650. I for one appreciates having a rear drive, V8 with a manual transmission still available to the public. I love the fact its not that different from the S550, as there is a lot to love about the S550.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
what I believe is, genuine hate.
We've bcome accustomed to Ford delivering mediocre products. The problem is they limbo'd even lower chasing vanishing market with poorly executed "tech" as if that's gonna move the needle.

What ensued was the mocking that accompanied "just fine".

And yes the screens look like ass when you're sitting natural like. You have corner ears sticking past the wheel. And you can't zoom or slide screen widgets to put them where there is sufficient separation and detail. It's total beta. Then again Ford is synonymous with inability to do software.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
that it seems like an amalgam of an Accord
It could be this Accord (or maybe a Mazda I don’t remember now) that was in the parking lot at my son’s high school this afternoon. Looked like at least 22” wheels 🤦‍♂️

IMG_2645.jpeg
Sponsored