Removing trans on jack stands?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I just recently pulled the trans with out a tranny jack and it was a bitch to get back in. Probably an hour of trying to muscle it up in there before it actually slipped over the pressure plate and got the input shaft into the pilot. The angle it has to go at is insane. I'll get a tranny adapter for my floor jack before I try that again.
Sponsored

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Post should be bookmarked
Mustang mt82 bellhousing clutch diagram tips bolt diy how to removal install

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
It's definitely tight at the top of the transmission tunnel. Even tougher reinstalling. You have to tilt the engine back a lot. I used some wood blocks to secure it as much as possible.
20201228_173442.jpg
Would you be willing to share a diagram or plan of how you made this? Looks like it would bolt onto my Daytona low long reach 3 ton floor jack (23" jack height). I need to drop my trans to replace rear main seal. PITA. Have never done this before. Bought the service manual and that's as far as I've gotten LOL.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Build some (cribbs) stacked 2 x 4s put them under tires F&R

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
Would you be willing to share a diagram or plan of how you made this? Looks like it would bolt onto my Daytona low long reach 3 ton floor jack (23" jack height). I need to drop my trans to replace rear main seal. PITA. Have never done this before. Bought the service manual and that's as far as I've gotten LOL.
I'm going to be using it again since my Exedy ceramic clutch didn't hold up very long. I'll take some measurements to pass on if I can. Would've bought an actual transmission jack from HF if I knew I'd be doing it again.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just buy the Pittsburgh trans jack from harbor freight, it's not too expensive and perfect for this (and fuel tanks)

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I was able to drop my trans for a clutch swap within a day in my garage on jack stands. It has been almost a year now, but I donā€™t remember anything particularly difficult about it compared to other cars Iā€™ve dropped the trans for. Obviously the higher youā€™ve can get the car lifted the easier it will be.

A transmission jack is handy to get the trans oriented properly for removal/installation.

If you have experience removing a transmission before and you have the appropriate tools than I would say give it a shot, otherwise take it to a shop. It is not an easy task and that is coming from someone who is mechanically inclined.
Reminds me of my teen years, pulling an automatic GM Powerglide on my back from a friend's Chevelle without a jack. I weighed all of 125 lbs and have no idea how how I did it without getting hurt. May partially explain why my back is shot now! Lol

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reminds me of my teen years, pulling an automatic GM Powerglide on my back from a friend's Chevelle without a jack. I weighed all of 125 lbs and have no idea how how I did it without getting hurt. May partially explain why my back is shot now! Lol
Same here, 1988 Camaro, driveway torque converter swap, 130lb (?) 700R4

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
pfffft, you weenies..try pulling a 4R100 with the transfer case attached, in your mom-in-laws driveway with nothing but a drunk brother in law, a floor jack and a ratchet strap šŸ˜‚
Sponsored