Sponsored

Unable to pass "safety" part of inspection anymore due to off-road H-pipe.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Catless sounds like shit, so raspy and what to say about the smell. Your only breathing nasty v8 emission after all. Its your health
Catless sounds fine if you do it right. Tuned properly there is very little smell.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Wait. Tell me more of this emissions tune. This work in CA?
This will not work in Cali. First off it is highly illegal for a emissions tune, whereas the tune allows the car to show readiness even though the cats aren't in place. Probably had this tune done a few years ago as most tuners won't even contemplate it today. In Cali they also have a CVN. You may have a stg 1 tune which just tunes the car but allows cats to stay in place but the new tune won't match the byte sum of the CVN (Calibration Verification Number) and you will fail anyway.

Dave

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But I did pass the emission part test without cats. The emission part is just OBD II test and a smog machine test. I used a tune made by my tuner. The issue is the safety part of the inspection, which is a visual one. So, I think i'm going to get one of these http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-intercooler-piping/catalytic-converter-p-320.html

And have it welded right where the cat is. I never like cats on these cars, it really effects the sound and performance.
To be honest, I think they made a mistake...you should have failed emissions and passed the safety test. You are lucky as in Cali you would be off to a referee station and you would be made to return the car to stock.

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Well in Pa. you can try another place, drive the car under 5000 miles a year or move to one of the 42 counties in the state that doesn't require emission testing.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
So you're cheating and now upset that you finally got caught? Just because you do something wrong and not get caught the first few times, doesn't mean it wasn't still wrong when you do finally get caught. Put some high flow cats in and go back and pass it for real - not just tricking their computers with some fake tune. Also, that straight through fake cat thing is also gaming the system.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So, a little back story, I live in PA, in Cumberland County. Cumberland County is one of the counties in my state that do an emission test with the safety test. I've passed every year with my 2014 Mustang GT, since 2015, that includes the same set up: 3 inch exhaust, muffler, and off-road H-pipe. The vehicle throws no CEL's, passes smog and OBD Emissions test with all codes ready, due to my tune. So, they happily gave me my emission sticker. Now, this year they gave my emission sticker, but failed me on my safety, because of not having any catalytic convertors. I told them that cats have nothing to do with the safety of a vehicle, and that the county that vehicle is registered is exempt from a visual exhaust inspection as long as you pass the emission part. . I pulled up the laws for them, but they weren't having it. They stressed that it needs to have cats to pass. I even told them that they didn't need to do a visual check, since the vehicle passed emission and that we're in a county where there is an exemption for anti-tampering check.

I've looked up the law beforehand and all it says about the exhaust for the safety part of the inspection is that it needs mufflers.

175.75. Exhaust Systems (a) Condition of Exhaust System - All components of the exhaust system shall be in safe operating condition as described in §175.80 (relating to inspection procedure). (b) Exhaust System Requirements - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or a passenger, in addition to requirements of this title for an emission control system and smoke control for a diesel-powered vehicle. (1) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noisesuppressing system in good working order and in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device and a muffler may not show evidence of external repair. (2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels). (3) Headers and side exhaust are permitted if the vehicle meets the requirements of this section. (4) An exposed exhaust system shall be equipped with an adequate heat shield or protective system. (5) An exhaust system shall extend and discharge completely to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed. (6) A firefighting vehicle is exempt from regulations concerning exhaust systems, mufflers and noise control.

One of the state inspection worker told me is they're afraid of being audited and they're cracking down on people with modified cars and said I need to bring in the car in STOCK form to pass. Again, i told them they passed me many times before and that they aren't breaking any laws, but he just said "sorry I can't help you".

So, my question is how, do you guys get around this? Should I just get cat cutouts? get high flow cats? find another shop? (but now it looks sketchy that I have two different stickers, so I don't know how well that will play out.
What does subsection §175.80 read? You didn’t post that up...

and this is clear in the above:
(2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels).

“May not be modified in any manner” is quite clear as far as interpretation of the stated law.

Your exhaust system IS modified and everyone and their great grandmother knows that removing cats amplifies the exhaust sound.

You can try to argue your points and perception of the law, but unfortunately you’re in the wrong.

Does everyone like loud exhaust on a Mustang and have they removed cats - sure, no doubt. But the PA Law is what it is and apparently that station has either been previously audited with findings OR they have changed personnel to smarter folks who ARE abiding by the law.

Just throw a high flow catted mid pipe on it; this isn’t the 80’s-90’s anymore, the hi flow cats of today are performance oriented and there’s hardly any loss in HP or “sound”.... research and look up the manufacturers that offer hi-flow cats with spun metallic cores.... those are the highest flow available.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
What does subsection §175.80 read? You didn’t post that up...

and this is clear in the above:
(2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels).

“May not be modified in any manner” is quite clear as far as interpretation of the stated law.

Your exhaust system IS modified and everyone and their great grandmother knows that removing cats amplifies the exhaust sound.

You can try to argue your points and perception of the law, but unfortunately you’re in the wrong.

Does everyone like loud exhaust on a Mustang and have they removed cats - sure, no doubt. But the PA Law is what it is and apparently that station has either been previously audited with findings OR they have changed personnel to smarter folks who ARE abiding by the law.

Just throw a high flow catted mid pipe on it; this isn’t the 80’s-90’s anymore, the hi flow cats of today are performance oriented and there’s hardly any loss in HP or “sound”.... research and look up the manufacturers that offer hi-flow cats with spun metallic cores.... those are the highest flow available.
Technically, it says you can't modify it to the point that it is louder than allowed by law. It doesn't say you can't make your car louder than stock - it just says it can't be modified to be louder than allowed by law - probably some dB level under throttle. But I agree, he should put some high flow cats on it and take it back.

george g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
george
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2004 gto
I have a set of the fake cats and they're a solid product.They look and feel real.

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
This will not work in Cali. First off it is highly illegal for a emissions tune, whereas the tune allows the car to show readiness even though the cats aren't in place. Probably had this tune done a few years ago as most tuners won't even contemplate it today. In Cali they also have a CVN. You may have a stg 1 tune which just tunes the car but allows cats to stay in place but the new tune won't match the byte sum of the CVN (Calibration Verification Number) and you will fail anyway.

Dave
I've been told by my SMOG tech that I've used for 25 years, that the testing equipment will know if you're tuned as soon as it's plugged into the OBD port.
Without a CARB approved tune with an EO number, you will be failed and flagged.
You do not want this! Your car will always be subjected to more scrutiny in the future when it comes to SMOG testing.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been told by my SMOG tech that I've used for 25 years, that the testing equipment will know if you're tuned as soon as it's plugged into the OBD port.
You do not want this! Your car will always be subjected to more scrutiny in the future when it comes to SMOG testing.
Correct, thats the CVN I was mentioning. So what a lot of guys who cheat, just plug in the same type of car that they have but fully emissions capable. The cheat part is not using the owners car.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
if you're tuned as soon as it's plugged into the OBD port.
No, as long as every EPA required part shows as ready, the OBD2 part of the eval is good. Even in the commie country of California.

You failed due to no cats, Federal law. Doesn't matter what reason the shop gave. If you put on the fake cats and you pass the sniff test, Hurray!!!!!

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
No, as long as every EPA required part shows as ready, the OBD2 part of the eval is good. Even in the commie country of California.

You failed due to no cats, Federal law. Doesn't matter what reason the shop gave. If you put on the fake cats and you pass the sniff test, Hurray!!!!!
I'm just going off the info my SMOG guy has given me.
My car is registered at my parents house in Mendocino County. I don't have to SMOG it as long as I own it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm in Ky, I don't have to smog mine either, but I do have to use "special gas" Every summer I lose 3 MPG due to the "special gas" But it beats the smog check.
Sponsored